Jim Dandy or Gin Rickey?

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by T Bone, Sep 28, 2020.

1. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Anyone tried the new Gin Rickey from Gretsch? Looks to be essentially a Jim Dandy with a soundhole mounted pickup. Just wondering if it's worth the extra $90 or so, or would I be better off picking up a Jim Dandy. Was about to buy one before they were discontinued. Now available again, and in black (which is my most likely choice), don't want to miss out again. For those of you who don't know me, I've got a pretty huge guitar collection already, including my least expensive, a great little Gretsch 9531 Style 3, really an amazing guitar for the $285 I have into it.

So, Rickey or Dandy? Thoughts?

2. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I think Tavo got a Gin Rickey recently.

When I get a parlor guitar, that's the one I'm getting!

T Bone likes this.
  3. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Electromatic

Jan 22, 2019
    Colorado
    I have a Jim Dandy and I really like it. I'm about to order a Gin Rickey though, because I want to use it for open mic/playing out opportunities. The $250 is worth it to me.

T Bone likes this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    If the pickup costs $90, what is value of the pickup itself. Do you plan to plug it in? If not, then get thr Dandy, less expensive and the acoustic sound will be less impeded.

5. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    I love the idea of the Gin Rickey but, knowing that I'd rarely plug it in, I'd stick with the Dandy.

CaliforniaSlim and T Bone like this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Same guitar but since the Deltoluxe pickup is $70, they charged you 20 bucks for the install.

T Bone and Henry like this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    those others dont look as cool as this one though.. they look, well... dandy.

T Bone and Henry like this.
  8. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Thanks for the replies guys! Kinda torn. I actually doubt I'd plug it in much, and like the cosmetics of the Jim Dandy better. Plus that price is just so hard to resist. Then again, having the option... I suppose as always, the correct answer would be both lol. I'll think on it just a little longer.

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    T Bone likes this.
  10. wizard_23

wizard_23 Gretschie

Jul 18, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just got a Gin Rickey today, haven't plugged it in yet but it's a cool little guitar.

I happened to have a spare bone saddle in my kit bag, highly recommend putting one in there, improved the tone dramatically.

Action was quite high out of the box, but maybe they set them like that for slide? The replacement saddle is lower so I'm all good now. The input jack nut was loose, but no biggy, easily fixed.

T Bone likes this.
  11. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Electromatic

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Which is a bargain when you think about what a Luthier or Tech would charge you to install it. Of course you could probably install it yourself with only a small amount of effort, but I digress.

T Bone and Ricochet like this.
  12. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    jimdandymangrum1.jpg

Jim Dandy. Sorry, couldn't resist- thought we were gonna be talking about Black Oak Arkansas... ;)

T Bone likes this.
  13. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

To the rescue! :D

Jeff67 likes this.
  14. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Of course.

Gretsch is probably paying closer to 20 bucks for the pickup, so they are charging real world luthier time money for the install. I’m not protesting the way of the world here, just having fun pointing it out. :)

T Bone likes this.
  15. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Electromatic

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    Yeah, just interesting observations. I think if we're all being completely fair, that guitar with those electronics at $250 is just an incredible value in the grand scheme of guitars. Part of me wants to snag one just because they're so absurdly low priced.

T Bone likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I hear that. I gave my Jim Dandy to my son. Despite having a fleet of other guitars, I've sorta missed it. I might have to get the Gin Rickey! :)

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.