Janglin’ with the G

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stiv, Jan 22, 2021.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Lately, I’ve been really interested on early R.E.M. sound (the IRS years, to be specific). A sort of mix between the classic Byrds Jangle and some post punk tone (of bands like Wire or The Fall). Clean tone with a lot of harmonics to fill the sonic spectrum.
    I know that Peter Buck was a Rickenbacker guy and that’s where the jangle comes from but I was wondering... did any of you guys have experimented with something similar, tone-wise, with a Gretsch (chambered or hollow body)? I’d love to know your settings, both on guitar and amp.
    Hit me! :)

Back in Black, David_GS and Chmason85 like this.
  2. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Yes! I love Pete Buck. His tone was not quite as clean as it sounded with the whole mix, and I’m pretty sure that the Ric didn’t come til later. I believe he played a tele through a fender amp early on. He also plays 12s with high action. I was almost nailing his sound with my 53vs jet into a Princeton with a little drive. He has played Gretsch as well. You should have no problem nailing that sound with a Gretsch. Also he used to use a fulltone OCD for his drive, not sure what he uses these days or if he’s even playing much.

stiv likes this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I think he only stumbled onto the Ric in a record shop or something after his Tele was stolen.

4. 5120mantis

5120mantis Country Gent

Mar 6, 2011
    nj
    Had the i.r.s. years on for travel music b&f to work, i never appreciated them in their time, boy did i miss out, Buck & Mills really shine.
    I never tried to emulate his sound but my jet can get jangly.
    The smithereens are in that territory also. Great bands.

rake_ether, stiv, GlenP and 1 other person like this.
  5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Yes, I think I read something in an interview about using a Tele and a Fender Twin in the early days, and wanting to sound as clean as possible because most of the people played dirty :) I saw some Rockpalast (A great show in Germany back in the 80s) footage of them around ‘85 and he was already playing the 330 live, although he was a studio geek and budget guitars collector (Ionce read that most of the time in studio he was using a different guitar for any specific riff he needed), also he was known for using no pedals and going from clean to dirty by raising the volume...:D
    I’m curious about your Jet though... were you using middle position or bridge? My Hi-Lo Trons simply don’t have that “nosy” overtone, even on the bridge. I’m having good results with the Ray Butts as they have harmonics in spades, but the 6120 doesn’t help much with sustain. And Broadtrons on the Jet are too muddy. These weekend I’ll give every Gretsch a go and try!

Chmason85 likes this.
  6. BennytheJet

BennytheJet Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Arlington, WA
    I've had a few Rickenbackers (480, 330, 360) that jangled like nobody's business. My filtertron-equipped guitars can easily jangle with the Rics.

My trick was to squash the signal with a good deal of compression. I've done it with pedals, a digital amp, and/or my DAW. I wouldn't use even close to that amount of compression for any other style of music (if any at all!), but it worked in that particular band/setting.

Oddly enough, one of the most REM-ish jangle sounds I ever got was playing a Ric 480 (solid body) through a Line 6 Flextone II with the compressor on at about 5/10. The amp was pretty useless for anything else, though.

GlenP, Chmason85 and stiv like this.
  7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Yeah, I’ve had a Rick 335 and I know they could jangle.
    I’m also pretty allergic to compression (I don’t think I even owned a comp since I sold my script logo Dynacomp maybe 10 years ago) but it may be a good reason for some free GAS! :)
    The 480 is a great guitar. A friend of mine had a 60s one with the single Toaster and I once tried it at his place. No jangle though, as we were both into Sonic Smith and MC5 at the time... maybe the Jet would be best suited for the job (with the right pickups).. in the meantime I’ll try the comp trick. Thanks mate!

Chmason85 likes this.
  8. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    The jet had T-Armonds, so the way I had them set up made the middle position perfect for some girth but picked close to the bridge. I had my bridge pickup jacked pretty high with the poles low, and the neck pretty low with the poles high. Funny enough I figured my compressor would help (way huge saffron squeeze) but it pretty much killed the tone of the wound strings. The plain strings sounded nice and even but that nice deep gretsch twang was gone, made the wound strings sound as dull as rubber bands. I saw a pic of his pedalboard and I don’t know if he used a compressor. I’ll look for that pic. I do remember his delay being that big green line 6.

stiv and 5120mantis like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hey @stiv , you really want to improve your Jangle .... try either one of these . There made for Jangel , I love'm both

IMG_3360.jpg IMG_3727.jpg

5120mantis, Tele295, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  10. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Niiice... I doubt I’d find one over here to try, but I’ll shop around. Thanks!

thunder58 likes this.
  11. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh , shop , shop , shop around . Makes a very jangly life for ya

GlenP and stiv like this.
  12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Here's a good one @stiv

stiv likes this.
  13. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Ha! Found one around Milan! :)
    It’s the first series, the one with the red J.. I’m jumping at it! ;)

GlenP and thunder58 like this.
  14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Go for it ! ... and keep me posted

15. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    ST,

Can't help you with a Gretsch, I use these.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1325.JPG IMG_1316.JPG

thunder58, GlenP and stiv like this.
  16. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Oh yeah, the real thing.
    You can’t beat a 360, I guess.:)
    But that’s the Janglebox I found... I’m halfway there.:D

Back in Black and thunder58 like this.
  17. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    Funny enough, I’m a huge Townshend fan. To me, Rickenbacker has ever meant smashed guitars and piercing tones on dimed distorted amps, never jangle.
    Now that I’m 53, I’m on the other side of the fence, regretting my 335 with toasters and aiming to a jangle sound. Life’s really unpredictable :)

GlenP likes this.
  18. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Back in Black likes this.
  19. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    upload_2021-1-22_18-5-25.jpeg
    This is Pete Buck’s board

stiv likes this.
  20. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    ST,

This is the ''original'' Jangle Box, 2005/2006ish.

BIB.

stiv likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.