Jack White's Complicated Telecaster

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by drmilktruck, Jan 3, 2021.

1. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    2nd that, LOVE the Raconteur stuff!

Waxhead likes this.
  2. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    DMT...

Please don't be offended...but...

Lots of blah blah blah in the video, this pickup does this...that pickup does that...the ''E'' bender does...the ''D'' bender does...the drop ''D'' does...the cut-out does...

I'm already out of breath...

IMO...a novelty contraption...maybe...guitar...not so much...and most importantly...a Fender Custom Shop ''Must Have''...not in my life-time!

Like a flying submarine...a poor boat...and an even worse airplane...

The pictured guitar...well most of you already know...if you don't need it...you don't need it, and it's a Gretsch!

BIB...

Malcolm the Great.jpg

3. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I agree with that assessment of the HOTR. The guy collected things indiscriminately. A lot of it is junk. It’s like Wall Drug - you see signs for it all across Wisconsin and when you get there it’s overpriced and underwhelming. The coolest thing was the glass platform that projected out over the valley below. Wall Drug is likewise filled with worthless tourist crap. OTOH there are so few things to see across the middle of South Dakota that anywhere to stop is a nice break. Don’t get me started on the Mitchell Corn Palace ...

bigjohnbates and Waxhead like this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    As tourist traps go, the HOTR isn't the worst. We've got the World's Largest Paint Ball in Indiana. The HOTR has some interesting bits. I liked the boats, and there are a couple of cool cars down there as well. A lot of it seems like bad movie sets and side show props, but there are some interesting bits here and there. As a musician, I liked the music machines and the organs.

5. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    dang bruh...this post is grumpy.. Us younger dudes freakin love what Jack White is about

get off my lawn meme.jpg

gtttrrr, Merc, Waxhead and 3 others like this.
  6. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Yeah I liked the black better too.

oneforsorrow and thunder58 like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    :D

Jack White is the great white hope of Alt-rock. Nothing new under the sun, but he sure gets a lot of the credit(I know, not his fault).

Waxhead likes this.
  8. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    TV...

All the Young Dudes...reminds me of another of my favorite artists.

Just saying...don't get me wrong...I like Jack White, I have a number of his CD's...

But...two of the greatest guitar players that ever lived, played with the simplest of guitars, one PU, and minimalist electronics.

Jack is no Malcolm Young...and he's certainly no Eddie Vanhalen...sorry.

BIB

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I think it's all a timeline ...

We started with merely our voice and moved on to drums. Thanks to some visionary folks along the way, we added reeds, strings, tension, seductively shaped pieces of hollow wood, learned about acoustics, physics, and electricity. Some guys named Les and Leo got ideas and somewhere along the way someone else poked a hole in a speaker. Happy accidents and madness chasing a muse and the nest thing you know, I'm typing a note on a forum to folks all over the globe who share a love of it all deep enough to spark a debate on personal tastes. Minimalist approaches are great. But thankfully, that Les fella had an idea that allowed us all to take a bunch of minimalist approaches and sum them together in a new exciting and expressive way. I'll never hold a candle to any of these folks but I love to just plug straight into an amp, skip it all together and play my acoustic, or stack 3 delays, 3 overdrives, 2 reverbs, 2 tremolos, and a phaser all controlled by a single volume pedal and purge whatever bug I've got in my bonnet at the time. It's all good. And it's all got a place in music for me. Speak your truth and listen to others speaking theirs is my motto.

new6659 likes this.
  10. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    except nothing about this thread has anything to do with the deadass boomer rebuttle about greatest guitar players that ever lived, or guitar players using the simplest of guitars.. haha :) :)

Waxhead likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yep totally agree Tavo,

It's just an interesting thread about a very talented guy who enjoys tinkering with guitars.
    None of us are gonna get his Tele but he likes it, and plays it great.
    Why people find the need to criticise this I have no idea - grumpy old men maybe.

No Jack White is no Jimmy Page or EVH. He's not Malcolm either. He never said he was.
    He's Jack White, he's different and he likes complicated things.
    If he cloned those legends he'd be accused of shameless copying.
    If you want pure simplicity stick with Malcolm.

I can't see any reason why the rest of us can't like them all.
    And the best thing about all of them is they're different.

Also Jack and The Raconteurs are one of the only guitar based bands around now releasing good independent rock music. Their music is different and a bit eclectic. That alone is something to celebrate cos it's becoming more rare :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  12. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    That Jack White....soo complex,

Merc, Waxhead and TV the Wired Turtle like this.
  13. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    My oldest son was right at that little boy Lego age when Fell in Love w a Girl came out on MTV, He was mad focused on Jack from then on. as well as Guitars. When I took him to meet Slash at Namm, that sealed the deal.
    For me when Raconteurs came out then I really got interested because I heard Bad Compmany meets Zep coming from them and Jack became more refined in his sound, created a signature and became much more interesting to me because of all the badass GRETSCH guitar creations and guitar pedal collaborations. The Raconteurs totally got heavy blues

Merc and Waxhead like this.
  14. G DynaTron

G DynaTron Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    France
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yeah the Raconteurs are vastly different from the White Stripes.
    Here's Jacks answer to why you need to be your own man and find your own way in life :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    ps. then there's Jack and the ladies w freakin GARY OLDMAN!!

G DynaTron and Waxhead like this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    haha entertaining guy ... but what can you expect ....he's from Detroit :)

G DynaTron likes this.
  18. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It’s hard to deny Jacks’ talent and impact today. For anyone who didn’t know, he also played some fine Gretsch guitars when backing Wanda Jackson a few years ago and sounded great.

As to comment on the guitar in question. If it works for or inspires the player, good for them. It’s their music, so play on. :)

Waxhead likes this.
  19. G DynaTron

G DynaTron Synchromatic

Dec 7, 2015
    France
  20. Jimmy Mongo

Jimmy Mongo Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    Vermont
    I remember seeing him in the movie "It might get loud" and thought here's a guy who is improvising , adapting and doing what ever he can do make music. It's not my style of music but I like his freedom of expression and how he gets there. If you ever saw the youtube vid of Uli Roth's rig run down with his Sky guitar , Jack's Tele looks rather tame.\

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
    drmilktruck and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.