Jack Fossett acoustic pup review

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Bertotti, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I stumbled on this by pure chance and noticed some of the headstocks on the side. HAHAHA

I was unsure what forum to put this in so mods if this is the wrong one please move it.
    I have a couple of questions. I have the K&K pure western mini, I believe they dropped the western from the name a few years ago, in my 000-18GE. Love it but it is a hot pup. I run it to my QSCK10 no preamp and it sounds good but if I am too close or medium close with the speaker pointed at me it feeds back horribly. I need a soundhole cover I think.

I am thinking about one for my Little Martin with a Sitka top. Then I stumbled on this review of the JJB Prestige 330 at bout half the cost of the K&K. Has anyone here used one of these or compared them to the K&K? I hesitate to buy on cost simply because I really like my K&K but it is a composite guitar with a Sitka top so not a high-end guitar, but it sounds great. In this review, it is in a much nicer guitar and I wonder if the K&K might be a better choice for the lower price point guitar. I know this man has posted here before and I left a message on the vid asking a similar question but when I saw who it was and the headstocks on the side I couldn't resist coming here to ask as well. I know there are some Martin fans here and might have tried this pupe as well.

GlenP and section2 like this.
  2. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I have the JJB Prestige 330 in my Furch (Stonebridge) D20-CM dreadnought, and the 220 in my mandolin. I'm very happy with them. I've never tried the K&K, so I can't offer a comparison, but the JJB sounds excellent to my ears. The owner, Jessie, is very responsive and helpful. I had a great experience overall.

I doubt you would hear a difference between the K&K and the JJB. They're essentially the same design as far as I can tell. I believe JJB carries different piezo sizes, so if you email them your specs, they'll recommend the best configuration for your guitar.

Bertotti likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I got a reply on the YouTube vid the JJB are not as hot as the K&K, that powerful output is probably why I have not needed a preamp. I now have the ToneWoodAmp amp in the 000 as well so it works well together. For the Little Martin I would need a preamp and that now brings the cost up to K&K levels I think, seeing I don’t have or use one now.

4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    For what it's worth, here's what JJB's website says:

Q Do I need a preamp with your systems?

A Aside from our PPS-200p which is designed to be a replacement for under saddle piezo's in guitars with existing on-board preamps, no you do not. However, the addition of the right preamp can really bring out the full potential of our systems. If you don't already own one you might try it without. You may just be pleasantly surprised.

They recommend their 15mm piezos for higher-quality guitars, and their 20mm piezos for lesser models. I'd guess that the 20mm piezos are hotter than the 15s, but I don't know. It might be worth looking into. But of course you can't go wrong with the K&K.

Bertotti likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.