I've decided to begin Machine Learning and go Guitar AI.. Tonex Pedal like

TV the Wired Turtle

I Bleed Orange
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Maybe I should start another thread about this, but as someone who just buys fancy combos and depends on the manufacturer to match the speaker, I have no idea what different cabs do. So when presented with a range of different sizes, numbers, open/closed, back, slant, etc., I have no clue about the significance. 4x12 weber blue something in orange slant closed back (just made that up) means absolutely nothing to me. I would love cab options that are more descriptive of the actual sound (e.g.scooped, tight bass, etc.). Even some sort of graph of the eq response would be helpful so I can compare cabs and know which cabs might be a good choice if I want something different in a patitular way.

But maybe that's cuz these products aren't made for people like me.
4 weber blues would have grindy jangle like celestion blues but w more forward throat and compression. The orange slant closeback cab would bring grunt and authority but being that the weber blues arent doped like the usual celestion vintage 30 suspects, the sound will be more compressed than hitting you in the chess with the usual clanging sonic punch. Sorry I have no graphs, just lots of wasted time and money on equipment plus bullship. :)

TV the Wired Turtle

I Bleed Orange
Double Platinum Member
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
I picked up a Tonex last week and am still in the experimental phase. Last place I played, the owner really likes when guitarists run into the board rather than through an amp, and my keyboard partner prefers it, too. Personally, I was spoiled when I gigged on bass with just the instrument and an amp that fit in the gig bag--no lugging around a heavy amp. I want the same for guitar, so I'm giving this device a try, especially at this price. FWIW, I tried a Quilter Phantom Block, and along with pedals it's ok, but I want more cab options.

Most of the Tonex presets so far are just ok (I like the Supro tone, though), but I have faith in the community to supply some good models via ToneNET and other places. This guy has some nice stuff, including some freebies. If anyone finds another really good source for Tonex models, please let us all know.
Im looking out for those too, cuz Im being lazy. But I bought it to model some of my own stuff w the tonex software and my slate modeling mics

Wermode

Electromatic
Sep 6, 2022
Chippewa Falls
I'm in trial phase also and it is not going as well as I would have liked. I'm sure it must be old man syndrome but I cannot seem to sort out how the software integrates with the pedal. Every time I try to link up with Tone.net I get an error message to make sure I have an account and yet I clearly have an account that shows I'm logged in and online...so frustrated after 7 days of this.

I am not a tinkerer and have no patience for troubleshooting (or much of anything really).

I reached out to customer service last weekend and I'm sure they're busy with the launch but there fix has not worked out thus far. Unfortunately I'm away at work during the phone hours so it's a slow back and forth via email.

Not overly fond of modelers as it is but I do generally prefer the feel of IK Multimedia products when I'm forced to use one. Some things I've heard on the internet make me think I could come to like this unit if I can get on with it.

Preset sounds are all I have tried so far and some are pretty good but nothing so far is convincing me it's a keeper. Latency between the unit and my laptop makes it unusable but I think there is something fundamentally wrong with my setup and not necessarily the equipment. Latency from direct output of the ToneX is totally fine.

If I don't have some satisfaction in a few more days I will be moving on again. I really would like it to work because it could potentially make my practice, recording and church performance life a lot simpler in the long run.
Do you have the most recent IK Product Manager? Also, make sure you’re on the right tab (“librarian”) to interact with the pedal. Feel free to message me if you want to sort out that interface. I think I’ve got it down reasonably well.

Hammerhead

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2012
Aberdeen
To be honest I don’t know many guitar players at an higher level than the local bar circuit that use amp-in-a-box solutions for their live gigging (if you play 1000+ capacity venues I don’t think you should have to worry that much about stage volumes) but… Paul Gray, current bass player of The Damned, uses his Ampeg SVT with 8x10 cab on stage only as a monitor. Everything that goes out on the PA (so to the crowd) is an early version of the SansAmp Bass driver pedal that drives both the Ampeg and the PA. And believe me, the tone is bone shaking.
I suppose that if it could work for bass…

I guess it depends on what you class as an amp in a box solution. Lots of big name players filling arenas use Kemper for example.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
I guess it depends on what you class as an amp in a box solution. Lots of big name players filling arenas use Kemper for example.
Kemper is a different animal though. The last time I saw somebody using one on a stage was into a cab, not into a PA.
For my limited experience, I found that any of those boxes (I've had a earlier version of a SansAmp when I was young, and I currently own a Tech 21 VT Driver, a Tech21 Blonde and a Joyo British that sometimes I used to plug in at rehearsal when I had to bring my own amp) sound much better into an amp (mine work great with SS, but I remember that SansAmp wasn't that bad into my old Bassman) than in any PA.
But I may be wrong though... I don't have any experience with high-level pop artist (or their hired guitar players) so I can't tell.

Hammerhead

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2012
Aberdeen
Knopfler went Kemper on his last tour. I knew beforehand so was listening out for it. I’ve seen him 20 times and he sounded the same as he always did.

There were no cabs onstage, they could have been elsewhere I guess but that kind of defeats the point of him going digital, ie to stop lugging amps around the world.

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Do you have the most recent IK Product Manager? Also, make sure you’re on the right tab (“librarian”) to interact with the pedal. Feel free to message me if you want to sort out that interface. I think I’ve got it down reasonably well.
That is very generous of you. I will try reinstalling IK Product Manager.

One of many weird things is that when I try to reset my account password I enter my email address (that matches the email in account info) but I never get a password reset email🤷🏻‍♂️

The ToneX librarian shows the presets in the pedal but I show no input level from the USB connection.

In Amplitube I have input level from USB and can play Amplitube patches but there is a very noticeable latency…like ridiculously lagging.

My biggest complaint is that it says my ToneNet indicator should be green to show that I am logged into ToneNet. That indicator is never anything but red. However my ToneNet account says “you are logged in” 😐

Also, my ToneX software shows as ToneX CS and I see no way to download the full version even though it shows that I have registered it🫣

I am ready to hang myself from the guitar cable.😵‍💫😵

Wermode

Electromatic
Sep 6, 2022
Chippewa Falls
That is very generous of you. I will try reinstalling IK Product Manager.

One of many weird things is that when I try to reset my account password I enter my email address (that matches the email in account info) but I never get a password reset email🤷🏻‍♂️

The ToneX librarian shows the presets in the pedal but I show no input level from the USB connection.

In Amplitube I have input level from USB and can play Amplitube patches but there is a very noticeable latency…like ridiculously lagging.

My biggest complaint is that it says my ToneNet indicator should be green to show that I am logged into ToneNet. That indicator is never anything but red. However my ToneNet account says “you are logged in” 😐

Also, my ToneX software shows as ToneX CS and I see no way to download the full version even though it shows that I have registered it🫣

I am ready to hang myself from the guitar cable.😵‍💫😵

Hmm. All that is very odd. I owned the Amplitube 5 and Tonex software but not all bells/whistles before I bought the pedal. As soon as I registered the Tonex hardware, all of the Max software unlocked. There was no new download, just notification that the full product had been authorized (notifications appear in the top right of IK Product Manager). However, I needed to update the ToneX firmware the first time I plugged it in. I wonder if there is some update to be done on your setup--either firmware, software, or both. My ToneNET button is red when I first open Tonex software, but turns green when I click on it (after a second) and the lower window populates with all the community models.

As for the latency, mine seems fine. I'm running the Tonex into the PC via USB, of course, but run the audio out via outputs 1 and 2 on the rear of the device to my studio monitors. When I find a model I like, I'm surprised at how good it sounds (last night I ran through those from Tone Junkie). I've also run mono out to my PA with nice result. I will definitely be using Tonex for silent stage applications, using just a small monitor.

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Hmm. All that is very odd. I owned the Amplitube 5 and Tonex software but not all bells/whistles before I bought the pedal. As soon as I registered the Tonex hardware, all of the Max software unlocked. There was no new download, just notification that the full product had been authorized (notifications appear in the top right of IK Product Manager). However, I needed to update the ToneX firmware the first time I plugged it in. I wonder if there is some update to be done on your setup--either firmware, software, or both. My ToneNET button is red when I first open Tonex software, but turns green when I click on it (after a second) and the lower window populates with all the community models.

As for the latency, mine seems fine. I'm running the Tonex into the PC via USB, of course, but run the audio out via outputs 1 and 2 on the rear of the device to my studio monitors. When I find a model I like, I'm surprised at how good it sounds (last night I ran through those from Tone Junkie). I've also run mono out to my PA with nice result. I will definitely be using Tonex for silent stage applications, using just a small monitor.
I’m sure it’s all good…glad yours is working aces.

I’m just one of those people that technology is prejudice against. Been dealing with computers treating me like I’m not worthy of being served all my life. I can make a watch run backward.

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
I am curious to hear how your experience is going @TV the Wired Turtle?

I’m still not able to resolve my software issues but I’m hearing enough good stuff out of this box that I’m thinking it’s going to be the first digital platform I’ll keep.

As a practice platform alone I’ve been well pleased with the sounds and especially the dynamic response. It gives me enough of the feel of a real amp and the reverb is one of the finest I’ve heard. Never enjoyed playing with headphones on until ToneX.

I can imagine being able to catalog the tones you’ve been dialing in for years would be perfect for Tavo. Capturing the same amp with and without gain pedals is a great way to run a live rig with minimal equipment and consistent results.

Latest posts