I've been considering the Guild Starfire I SC. Anyone ever play one?

BackRoomPicker

Electromatic
Jan 21, 2022
USA
Hi everyone. I'm new around here, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I've been wanting a Gibson Byrdland with the Florentine cut for a long time but I can't ever see myself paying for one. I was just browsing guitars online and I saw this:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/Starfire-I-SC-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar.gc

Although it doesn't have a cool tailpiece like a Byrdland, it does have the look. I don't like ordering guitars online without playing it first and the closest shop that has one in stock is about an hour and a half drive away.

Just wondering if anyone here has played one and how it felt and sounded. I know it's all subjective, but I have a case of GAS and I'm blowing off some steam. I have a 2013 5420t and I'm not sure I really need this guitar, but you know how it is.

Highroller

Country Gent
Jun 11, 2015
Portland, OR
Guilds generally get a lot of admiration around here. They're quality instruments.

I've never played one of these 1-SC models, but my 20-year old Starfire III is fabulous! Ha!

What does that have to do with yours? Not a heck of a lot, but I doubt it'll sound much like your 5420 if that's your concern. Two different beasts. Guild's pups are modeled after PAFs rather than Filtertrons. Very little chance you'll be duplicating something you already have.

Good luck with it. I'd recommend taking the drive too! Take the Gretsch along so you can do live A/B comparison. It'll be fun!

Last edited:

Sid Nitzerglobin

Country Gent
Jun 8, 2015
fROMOHIO
The Newark St. collection Starfires I've played have all seemed great & the equal of any of the nice Gretsch Electromatics in quality of construction & materials. Should be different enough in sound & feel from the 5420 that it would be easy enough to justify owning one of each IMO.

I continue to find my late '90s SFII to be one of the most special guitars I've owned, & the more recent Newark St. collection Aristocrat & X-175 Manhattan aren't too far behind.

Probably worth checking one out if the drive isn't too painful.

Last edited:

Roy Clark

Synchromatic
Jun 16, 2017
Bat cave.
Hi everyone. I'm new around here, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I've been wanting a Gibson Byrdland with the Florentine cut for a long time but I can't ever see myself paying for one. I was just browsing guitars online and I saw this:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Guild/Starfire-I-SC-Semi-Hollow-Electric-Guitar.gc

Although it doesn't have a cool tailpiece like a Byrdland, it does have the look. I don't like ordering guitars online without playing it first and the closest shop that has one in stock is about an hour and a half drive away.

Just wondering if anyone here has played one and how it felt and sounded. I know it's all subjective, but I have a case of GAS and I'm blowing off some steam. I have a 2013 5420t and I'm not sure I really need this guitar, but you know how it is.

I almost got the white one with Guild version of the Bigsby made by Samick. I do not have any of the new ones made by Samick. The older ones made by Guild themselves or made in Korea for 900 or above is great. Gad blogs about the Guild Guitars. He did a write up on one. Here is the link. I talk to him some. He said the build nice. He owns more Guilds than we will ever own. He shows the guitar from the inside out detail pictures.

The body was nice. Binding was great on the white one. Neck was really nice. Tuners were nice etc.. But I did not get it. Jack was lose and it cost 30 dollars to fix. And the tech at Guitar Center said no warranty because of that. What if something else was wrong with the guitar? And without a warranty it cost way more to fix it. Bummer. So I got something else.

https://www.gad.net/Blog/2020/05/31/guild-newark-st-starfire-sc-review/

379-1915-826_Side_C-1500x630.jpg

379-1915-826_Detail2_E-1-1030x723.jpg

BackRoomPicker

Electromatic
Jan 21, 2022
USA
It's absolutely no Byrdland. Byrdlands have a great jazzy fat tone.

That being said, Starfires are wonderful guitars and well made. I own a Starfire and it plays like a dream. It has it's own chimey sound.
Thank you for the input. I'm a simpleton. If I like the feel of the neck and the look of the guitar, I'm generally okay with it. I'm not a tone seeker. I like the Gretsch sound with a little delay more than anything else. Other than that, I'm not too picky, especially when it comes to really crunchy sounds.

Thanks to everyone else who replied. I don't want to blow up the thread with multiple replies, but thanks!

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Thank you for the input. I'm a simpleton. If I like the feel of the neck and the look of the guitar, I'm generally okay with it. I'm not a tone seeker. I like the Gretsch sound with a little delay more than anything else. Other than that, I'm not too picky, especially when it comes to really crunchy sounds.

Thanks to everyone else who replied. I don't want to blow up the thread with multiple replies, but thanks!

Then I think you'll like the SF guitars. They have a nice tone and every one including mine have had great necks.

Latest posts