It’s finally official... Guitar Center files Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
  2. Groutsch

Groutsch Gretschie

Jun 9, 2018
    Maryland, US
    They haven't filed yet.

3. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Should be good for Chibson's bottom line.

Tadhg likes this.
  4. Cdb1961

Cdb1961 Gretschie

May 5, 2018
    Orange Park, Fl
    The story has reborn again, again....

5. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Well the manufacturers are partly to blame for a lot of the mom and pop stores offering decreased variety in the pro type guitars. The biggest complaint I heard from one of my local stores who thrived at one time is that they were forced to buy a rather large assortment of the line or face losing the brand. The manufacturers ran to the online retailers.. just makes sense. The smaller stores couldn’t afford to get them anymore and it really depended on the local economy to a great extent and quite frankly didn’t have the demand to buy those guitars like LPs etc .. they weren’t selling great locally and it got so pricey to put them in the shop.. a lot of their business was lessons and cheaper intro to intermediate guitars.So they couldn’t do it obviously and lost the big brand. Then the domino effect occurs . Online sales boomed.. due to everything being available..easier to buy online, more choices , parts, accessories . Try starting a small store now. I really can’t see small mom and pops making a resurgence either.Unless you have tons of money your not going to be viable to compete with mid level stores.. now the manufacturers are building building a lot of entry to intermediate guitars and some of the prices are reasonable but they too are rising...GC was managed terribly , and paid employees poorly.Their online descriptions and photos and info was horrific. Their instruments were not cared for .It’s their own fault. Management is the reason for their fall. This cane from a few people I knew who worked their and it was their opinion of it all.

Dave Murray, pmac11 and Groutsch like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    all I know is the guy on the left in the video needs a haircut .... geeze , did he just get out of bed :p:p

7. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Guitar Center was great ten to fifteen years ago...and then I discovered Sweetwater and the other online retailers. The experience is just better. I can wait a day or two. GC is now, and has been for a while, a place to showroom, i.e. test out neck profiles, try an amp, look at the acoustics, etc. before buying online. Pick up a set of strings, some picks, or other small items there but I don’t see GC surviving much longer. Part of the problem is the employees do not offer a great experience for the customer. I want to be treated like a VIP, not have to deal with a snobbish sales associate. That’s been my experience. Some employees have been good and have given good service. A lot of trips to GC have been positive. It’s fun to look around at all the merchandise.
    But I think GC needs to re-organize and re-think their approach. Cut some locations and trim the fat. Find some unique angle to attract customers and keep them. Until then? I’m sticking with the good service of Sweetwater and the ez pay plans of the others.

Dave Murray, Bertotti and wabash slim like this.
  8. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Maybe they should first downsize a bit and maybe employ a virtual online experience in their stores and carry less product in stores..this will ensure quality of the instruments they do sell.. they have to compete with Sweetwater -some ideas which they can take advantage of the fact that they have brick and mortar stores that SW doesn’t have -stations in the stores utilizing a large screen with detailed video with reviews and playing of particular instrument. They could improve their website and tie into the same virtual online computer experience with the added bonus of actual people you can interact with in addition to the virtual experience. This helps a lot. They could offer a bit of a higher wage for existing employees and offer more incentives for quality service. There is a lot they can do to enhance quality. I’d personally love to go there and not feel rushed on a phone ..?somewhere to go and see a few demo models with the added advantage of knowing I’m buying a fresh instrument not manhandled and enjoying a detailed virtual experience of the same instrument I’m interested in.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  9. Renegade

Renegade Country Gent

Jun 21, 2009
    Seattle
    I hate to see this happen to any business but the issue I have seen with GC is that most of them seem to be "hang outs" rather than music stores. Overly loud music, employees that are either not familiar with the products or too busy talking with each other to help paying customers.
    There are good ones out there and I live in an area that has multiple GC within driving distance, the one I have used seems just the opposite of the normal business model.

10. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    Don’t forget the obligatory teen loudly playing thrash metal and speed scales through a half stack.

Jeff67 and Renegade like this.
  11. Renegade

Renegade Country Gent

Jun 21, 2009
    Seattle
    That's usually the time I head for the door :eek:...NO SALE

12. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Synchromatic

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Don't knock it till ya try it dude. It's fun (provided you do it quietly), especially if you're with your buddies. My friend and I grabbed an SG and a Double Jet respectively, and played AC/DC. It's fun as heck.

bigjohnbates, Tadhg and drmilktruck like this.
  13. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    The goal should be to have a good, pleasant, and neutral environment for all. Designating sound proof rooms for the kids who play that stuff would be fine by me. I love to crank it up but I am also a considerate neighbor. Loud speed scales and thrash do not make most people want to open up their wallets. Don’t businesses conduct studies on sensory tactics to persuade people to buy?

wabash slim and Duo Slinger like this.
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Lately it's been middle-aged guys playing bad blues licks when I've been in.

Henry, amp360, reverb11 and 6 others like this.
  15. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    This! Other stores have rooms you can go into.

mbkri, Tadhg, pmac11 and 2 others like this.
  16. I agree with the video guys description of guitarcenters used online adds. Awful photo, usually just one, poor lightning and no info. Then they dont respond back to the emails you send them.

Dave Murray likes this.
  17. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I hear that as well but I’ll take those over the thrash and speed scales. I’m more interested in the feel of the neck profile, overall finished product, and fret work. A few strums of the guitar can usually tell me all I need to know. And I don’t need to crank a half stack to get the answers I need. Pickups can be changed at a later date. Point is, I’m a considerate consumer and don’t want to create a negative environment for others. Sound proof rooms make the most sense.

petem1966 and drmilktruck like this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Exactly . Try before before you buy . I did that with 2 guitars in the past . Saved on shipping and tax but the downside is it seems like the online dealers are now charging shipping and tax also . In fact I did a thread on that a while ago .......

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    I resemble that remark :(

Ricochet, Xochi2, capnhiho and 7 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.