Issue with Reverb Listing

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Sep 19, 2021.

1. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I posted here for sale a week or so ago an iRig for connecting your guitar to an iOS device. When it didn't sell, I posted it on Reverb. However the listing was suspended as I didn't show the item, only the original unopened box. I couldn't sell it as new because I'm not a retailer, and they don't allow used items to not be displayed. The odd thing about that is for some things, especially anything collectable, "unopened" condition is a positive. To require opening the box potentially devalues the item. (Imagine finding an unopened in box original Arbiter Fuzz Face from 1966 and trying to sell it. Reverb wouldn't let you.) I put the exact listing on eBay and it sold within hours. They probably would argue that showing the actual item is a security issue to prevent fraud, but that's a concern with new items sold on the site too. (And the buyer has recourse if that happens.) The silly part is that I can't even delete the listing unless I correct it by posting new pictures with the item shown!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Craig Encinitas and Archtops like this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    This is what happens when you hire teenagers to run the I.T. Department.

3. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I pretty much stopped listing things on both Reverb & Ebay.
    Fees are too damn high which force you to raise the selling price too high or lose money. It might take a bit longer to sell but I actually do better selling stuff on Craig's List. A lot of the time I find a local buyer and don't have to deal with today's outrageous shipping fees.

4. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Ebay got so complex for either buying or selling I finally even stopped browsing. I buy and sell on GT occasionally, but mostly now my buys and sells are either Sweetwater for new buys, or Craigs List for local face-to-face transactions. Works best for me.

5. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I tried to buy a used hard case for our new Yamaha JR1 from MF but their app kept crapping out when I tried to pay for it via PayPal. Emptied my cart and found the same deal on Reverb with MF as the seller, offered 10% less than MF asked on their site, and they accepted it. Reverb worked fine with PP so it was a win-win. Case is on the way. I haven't tried to sell through them, though.

Craig Encinitas and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    What I did when shopping for Gretschin' was see who the seller was, & go directly to them. Reverb I use as a research tool.

7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    So, Reverb got back to me. Apparently there's no way to delete the listing. It will just remain in my account as suspended indefinitely. Doesn't that seem odd? Admittedly it doesn't take up much computing room, but why would you want a system cluttered with suspended listings? I'm certainly not the only person. Oh well. I'll just have to ignore that when I look at my account.

8. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Don't sweat it! Reverb is still the best place to sell as far as cost to sell goes.
    I had an amp listing suspended it was a Fender 5E3 Bandmaster Clone which I clearly stated but since I had a Fender logo on the amp the listing was suspended. All I had to do was put a piece of tape over the Fender logo. They reinstated the listing and my amp was sold. These are just very very small irritations and really amount to nothing. I would open the box and show a pic of it and say I never got around to using this. You are most likely to find a buyer on reverb rather than guitar forums especially if it is an item only a certain person would want like my Digitech Harmonizer. :)

9. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    I deleted my Reverb account over a year ago because of some really poor decisions they made which impacted my selling there. It’s not worth it anymore though I hold out hope they’ll correct their problems. Also, they were VERY slow to respond to my messages and requests…

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Craig Encinitas likes this.
  10. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    they responded? wow. i’m fairly unhappy with reverb myself, and awfully glad i found the gretsch i lusted for here.

Craig Encinitas and Frank_NH like this.
  11. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Pic a picture online, copy it and and post it there. Make a note in your Description stating "stock photo"

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
  12. Gretschzilla

Gretschzilla Electromatic

Apr 20, 2021
    Saint Paul, MN USA
    I have worked in IT for 25 years. I got bad news for you. We're all really bad at this. In fact, the teenagers are among our best. The problems you describe come from higher up...

13. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Here’s what I would do… edit and raise the price to some insane number like $20,000 so it doesn’t sell. If you still need to, add a photo of one open from online somewhere. After it’s listed, just delist it’s as it’s no longer available and sold elsewhere.

14. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I sold a few non music local stuff on eBay a year ago. I couldn’t stand the selling process and don’t know if I ever will again. Buying’s easy enough though. Lately I’ve been picking up some harder to find toys for my son there.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  15. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    It was meant tongue in cheek.

rcboals, Gretschzilla and Runamok like this.
  16. It was understood that way. Yet, easy to go with Gretschzilla’s “grumbling” return.

There are many facets to this, if we deep dive.
    Teenagers have no qualms about breaking things to see how they are constructed. Its their calling.

Deep-diving often breaks the joke. Like my piping in here.

Archtops likes this.
  17. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Very well said. Thank you Runamok, understood.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.