Issue with new hot rod....

a willingham

Electromatic
Nov 30, 2016
Tennessee
So I was playing my new (to me) Hot Rod this evening and I noticed a few things I didn’t notice since I first picked it up Monday evening. First the is a small finish chip in the head stock. It looks like it is from like where it has banged up against other guitars. There bigger concern I have is the is a hairline crack in the finish on the upper bout. Not sure how I missed it other than it is kinda hard to notice. The head stock isn’t as big of a concern to me at the finish crack. Am I being too OCD about this? I’m just afraid of it chipping the longer I own it. At this point I’m still within my return policy at GC. I’m on the fence about what to do...

freddyfingers

Gretschified
I turned around one night and hit the head of my blue hot rod into a cymbal. Put i nice dent in it like yours. I was mad. Best part was about 20 minutes later i did it again. It killed me to see two blemishes that were caused by me(notice i didnt blame the drummer, i am turning I over a new leaf, blaming a drummer for stuff is like blaming a puppy for peeing on the rug, they just dont know any better). At first i almost lost sleep. But now its part of the history of the guitar. I know the OP did not pout those marks there, but maybe a few of your own and it will be just fine.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
The headstock bump wouldn’t bother me, it happens. The crack or scratch is a different story though. Unless it was a super deal I would return it if it’s a crack. Hard to tell if it’s a deep scratch or what.

RG7X

Synchromatic
Nov 11, 2018
Los Angeles
If it wasn't captured in the pics or description, I'd open up the conversation about an exchange or adjustment. After receiving several surprises from my online used purchases, I make sure to request as much detailed information and pictures before buying because so many people either knowingly hide things or don't take the time to provide a thorough and honest description of the condition. I've felt a bit cheated before especially when I've spent a good amount of hard earned money.

I have had 3 Hot Rods. Two of them were nightmare transactions. One store claimed it was a floor model in like-new condition. When I received it, there was buckle rash on the back, deep scratches on the front, frets were worn and there were some dings on the body. The other one came with a pick guard installed (on a non-pickguard model) that was not in the description or pictures that was covering up a few deep scratches. Now, I worked with both stores to make it right but it took a bit of fighting / negotiating on my part. I totally get I'm going to end up scratching, dinging and breaking things on these guitars... I already have! I get over it and accept that it's part of the character of the guitar. That being said, you should get exactly what you thought you were paying for! There's a lot of "used car salesman" out there that will do what it takes to get your money... but sometimes it's laziness and sometimes it's just honest mistakes and oversight.

At the end of the day, just make sure you're happy with it!

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
If it were new I would return it immediately.
Since you bought it used you have to factor in that you got it for less money because of the little blemishes that occur when being played. No structural problems here, imho. I would keep it.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Really depends on the disclosure. If they listed as mint, this would be an issue. Excellent is borderline. But at $1400, this is reasonable condition.

I turned around one night and hit the head of my blue hot rod into a cymbal. Put i nice dent in it like yours. I was mad. Best part was about 20 minutes later i did it again. It killed me to see two blemishes that were caused by me(notice i didnt blame the drummer, i am turning I over a new leaf, blaming a drummer for stuff is like blaming a puppy for peeing on the rug, they just dont know any better). At first i almost lost sleep. But now its part of the history of the guitar. I know the OP did not pout those marks there, but maybe a few of your own and it will be just fine.

The first ding is cathartic imo.