Is this Little Piece of Wood From My Gretsch?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by willwills, Apr 1, 2021.

1. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    I have a 5420T that fell of its guitar stand and SLAMMED into my wood floor (over concrete). I didn't see the impact but it made me jump out of my chair vertically about 3 feet.

The result of the impact was that one of the tuners was broken. I was able to actually find an OEM replacement set and replaced it. There's a tiny ding in the neck that's down to the wood, so I'm looking for the matching blue paint to touch that up I've never had a guitar hit that hard before.

A few days later I'm cleaning up around that area and came across a little piece of wood (attached pic). At first, IMG_9648.jpeg I thought it was from my desk or something but then the wood color and such looks like the interior of the Gretsch. I used a small mirror and flashlight but could not see any places inside the guitar that this would have gone.

Does this look familiar, and without it will my guitar disintegrate while I'm playing (part of that last sentence is hyperbole). And part 2 is, does anyone know where I can get a small amount of Fairlane Blue touch up paint.

What a day...

[​IMG]

2. Drifter

Drifter Gretschie

Dec 27, 2012
    Fun City
    The would be pretty amazing it that is part of interior bracing. I say that because the guitar would have hit the floor, dislodged the piece of bracing and shoot it out the f-hole.
    It could happen but the odds are slim. You need to get a lighted inspection mirror. <10 bucks on amazon and checkout the interior more closely. Keep us posted!

Back in Black and willwills like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Oh wow , sorry you're having such a bad day . Honestly , I'm not sure where that would have come from

willwills likes this.
  4. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    I was thinking the same thing. The F holes are small and this thing would have had to shoot out at the correct angle. I did peer with my eyes and a flashlight inside the f holes but didn’t see any place, or any other braces like that wood piece. I’ll get the mirror, good idea. I also searched online for an interior view or a tear down but could find anything. Thanks for the suggestion!

5. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Again ,chances are slim.
    Hollowbodies have reinforcements where the strap holder screw goes.
    Maybe it came off there? never seen such a piece in guitar. Other than neck joint!

6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    If it is part of the inner bracing a luthier should better take care of it. I would think that parts of the bracing are lose now and have to be re- glued.
    But that would be the worst case.
    I keep my fingers crossed for you.

willwills likes this.
  7. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    Good idea - I checked both strapholders and they appear to be intact (reinforcing wood in place)

8. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    Thank you - I emailed Gretsch directly and included the pic. I'll let you know what they say. Suffice it to say, I'm keeping the wood in a safe place until I find out!

9. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    It looks like a piece of bracing to me. It could have shot out through an F hole - hard to believe but very possible.
    They sell lighted camera probes (USB and can hook up to phones) on Amazon that allows much better viewing for around $25. Very handy if you are really concerned.
    You can also tap on the body to see if you hear any rattles that weren't there before. I also have seen a few guitars that had a piece of bracing wood that was lodged in the guitar while it was being put together that wasn't meant to be there and when the guitar hit the floor it could have broken free.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    willwills, Ricochet and MrWookiee like this.
  10. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

It looks like half of the post that goes from under the bridge to the back of the guitar. They are usually square or slightly rectangular. I believe that they are wedged in, not glued.

Good luck

willwills likes this.
  11. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    This one is triangular and about 2 inches long. It does have a little patch of dried glue still on it. Does not having it in place pose any potential future issues?

12. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Yes.

Your Gretsch is officially broken. As I am an official Gretsch disposal agent, just sent your guitar to me and I will dispose of it for you. No need to pay for this service, and shipping is non-refundable.:D:p

mbkri, Runamok, Back in Black and 2 others like this.
  13. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    LOL!! That literally made me spit out my coffee. Thank you. Now to wipe the coffee off the Gretsch (kidding about that part).

tartanphantom likes this.
  14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I don't think it's a piece of guitar bracing - shape is mostly wrong. The 90 degree angle of it and the short length tell me it's a piece of a top brace from a piece of furniture. I've seen hundreds of pieces exactly like it under my old desks and cabinets. They come in many shapes and sizes, but they're usually 45/45/90 triangular and 2-3 inches long.

IMG_3268.jpeg

Archtops and MotorCentaur like this.
  15. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    Hmmm - I'll look around. A lot of our furniture nearby is beige colored. Good suggestion - ty

16. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Oh Crap! That's the Birevoturbulator! Your Gretsch will now need it's mojo reset to factory settings. That's expensive I hear.

Archtops and SAguitar like this.
  17. willwills

willwills Electromatic

Sep 20, 2020
    Sanford, FL
    I knew I should have paid for the rust-proofing... :(

Runamok, SAguitar and swivel like this.
  18. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    We've been trying to contact you about increasing the warranty on your Gretsch.

19. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    D,

Very true...but,

Ever notice how, every time you get caught tinkering without you safety glasses on, that flying particle always manages to find your eye!

I'm for a good 1000 lumen flash light, and a hinged inspection mirror, as big as will fit through the F holes, and also consider removing the PU's.

We've seen this before, the last time is was a temporary builders wedge, no harm/no foul.

I'd ask the OP if the fragment looked to be broken off something, or looked intact, as though it may have been used as a temporary wedge/shim.

As far as Fairlane Blue touch up, suggest local auto body supply, take the guitar so a sample can be matched.

I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon shaking all mine, just incase a gold Rolex falls out.

Look what was found inside this guitar. Luckily the occupants were visiting friends in Miami, when intruders cut the front off.

Best,

BIB.

doll-house-in-guitar.jpg

unbridled, Archtops, Runamok and 2 others like this.
  20. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    OK, we’re all having a litle fun on your mishap (it is April 1), but seriously, I would take the guitar to a luthier and have them check it out. It night cost $15-20, but it’s your guitar, man, and if you don’t get a professional pair of eyes on it, you’ll wonder what every little tick is in the future.

unbridled and Robbie like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.