Is this Gretsch sales policy?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by flip, Oct 22, 2020.

1. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yeah, its almost criminal that an Electromatic doesnt come with a case (and Jack plate )..

Flip, if you want to document the serial number with the sale, call the shop and see if they will send you an email with the serial and the fact that it was purchased there. Not sure if it will be enough for warranty work but who knows?

flip likes this.
  2. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Thank you everyone. What a mature group this is; even when people disagree with you they're polite.

Obviously this thing is moving on and should come to a close very soon so allow me to summarise my take. The principal purchase was my guitar and of that I'm 100% happy. It sounds good, feels good and looks amazing. And especially since it's an indulgence for me the photos will appear soon though I'm not overwhelmed by the mere possession of the instrument, it is after all merely bits of wood, metal, a little plastic etc but as a musical instrument it has a life and a soul – pity I can only do it part justice.

It seems to me that one of the main reasons the 'niggles' have arisen is the involvement of a distributor, and perhaps more importantly a distributor that's a manufacturer as well. Gretsch lists my supplier as a main dealer. Despite this they are allowed to have a policy of never stocking cases made to fit the guitars they sell. At the risk of stoking some internecine argument, like thunder58 I want my instrument to look at its best for as long as possible. For me that means a fitted hard case. Evidently not everyone feels the same but in a business where one long-established instrument dealer in Manchester won't apply to be a Gibson dealer because, they tell me, of the dictatorial purchasing policy Gibson imposes on its agents, it's odd that another principal allows so much latitude. My age probably allows me to be old-fashioned but to my mind an accredited dealer that doesn't have a luthier working on-site or nearby is essentially a box-shifter - a definition emphasised by the fact that the company through which I bought my Gretsch tells me in writing that they never identify the instrument by serial no and that none of the Gretsch guitars they sell has any documentation or truss rod adjuster. In any other business that would mean sales were as unauditable as cans of baked beans and leave no accounting paper trail. Incidentally Gretsch's threaded strap fasteners are excellent.

Finally to Waxhead, the Bolton/Bury thing for me is practical, Bolton's nearer; for anyone unfamiliar, it's a rivalry that probably goes back to Industrial Revolution history with soccer overtones thrown in for good measure. Incidentally, are you familiar with the entertaining Manchesterbeat site - run from Australia too and to speedicut, I've found a registration facility on the Gretsch US site.

Thanks everyone; now, where's the camera?

3. Edenfield99

Edenfield99 Electromatic

Jun 27, 2019
    Bury, UK
    Bury and Bolton are two towns in North Manchester only a few miles apart. There’s cultural and sporting rivalries. It’s all meant in good humour (ok, maybe not when football was involved), even some of my best friends are from Bolton! :p

Waxhead, Mr Swisher and flip like this.
  4. Tadhg

Tadhg Gretschie

Aug 8, 2019
    Qld - Australia
    I thought that was just the standard Australian experience, not one shared in the UK. I had FMIC Australia (because my local shop gave me contacts, because he was sick of me chasing him!) tell me that they couldn't get me a case - for a newly launched model - for at least three months (pre-pandemic). I think the fact I chased them constantly (every week!) made them push their US counterparts harder. It was sixteen weeks between payment for the case and my receipt of the case.

Also, Australia's Consumer Law's better than waranties. But FMIC's attitude makes it very, very hard to get anywhere (because it'd need to be in court miles from my home - they're adamant that a second hand guitar's not covered by the ACL (the government says otherwise) and that it's normal to have gold plating disappearing within a year). FMIC doesn't seem to have a great reputation down here...

That said, when you're talking dealers, they vary wildly everywhere, clearly some have great reputations, others not so much. Perhaps that reputation is why that particular dealer still had stock, where most had sold out..? :confused:

Waxhead likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    ALL Gretschs, read ALL, come with inspection cards and warranty information from the company. I would bet it was in the box they threw away. As far as the case goes, i would look for something that works that you can get locally, even a budget cardboard one is better than nothing.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    They tried that on me when i bought my 6120-60 in around '98-'99, i told them i wanted a real Gretsch case and they said it would be extra, he went in back and magically found one and brought it out..........to his surprise, when he opened it, it had all the warranty and inspection card stuff for MY guitar! I made him throw it in, with egg on his face.

7. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    What model did you get, pic's?
    Oh, i see its a 5420. Those fit in a standard acoustic dreadnaught case, easy to find.

Waxhead likes this.
  8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You didn't buy the guitar from Gretsch; you bought it from a music store, so you are dealing with their sales policies, not Gretsch's.

Waxhead and Tadhg like this.
  9. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    I'm sure you're correct in the sense that the contract to purchase is between me and the shop, no question. What I was referring to, albeit perhaps not very elegantly, was that it's not uncommon in many trades for the principals to places terms on their appointed dealers/main dealers. For example one big music instrument dealer in Manchester told me that Gibson/Epiphone a condition of being appointed a Gibson/Epiphone dealer they would have to accept a certain allocation of guitars regardless of whether those specific models were ordered or not.

Finally as a number of members have mentioned I could have bought a third party case to fit. But as I wrote at the head of this thread, the purchase was an indulgence and there's no doubt that the cases supplied to fit the Gibson and Martin guitars I own touch the instruments firmly all round and give more protection than third party cases - most of which are, of course, also less expensive..

Henry likes this.
  10. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Interesting. It may be a sign of the times. Certainly I would not expect e-sales to include the guitar serial number, most inventory/sales systems are probably not that detailed and specific. Some may be, like Sweetwater, where you can see pictures of actual guitars online (and see the serial #) and choose which one you want.

However, most of the time the receipt would show the product, but not serial #. The serial is usually disclosed when you register.

If you are concerned, i suggest self-documenting. Take pics of the receipt next to the serial #, and several pics starting with the serial #, stepping back and around the whole guitar so the new condition can be seen. Make sure the digital pics include time stamp metadata.

Waxhead and flip like this.
  11. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    Neither the local Sam Ash or GC stock factory cases for any guitar that does not come with one. That's always been an issue to me. But, with a little internet search, I've never had a problem getting the proper case.

12. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Agreed. If I am interested in a guitar and find out it does not come with a proper case, then I'm calling that a deal breaker. BTW, you should change your name to "Jack Plate."

MTurner, Scott, Tadhg and 1 other person like this.
  13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :p

14. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    3DS08922.JPG 3DS08924.JPG

And I'm pleased as punch with the instrument, particularly now I've taken off the original rather discoloured strings it was supplied with. Now it sounds and plays as good as it looks.

15. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    My electromatic also didn't come with a case, but I wouldn't 've minded to pay a bit extra by default for a case. You need proper transportation anyway and imo a hollow body guitar belongs in a case.

Edit: Woop Woop, 400th post :D

Paulie26 and SAguitar like this.
  16. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Stunning! That's a beauty.
    Congratulations again.

17. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Thanks everyone, and I also have to say that in terms of the fit and thickness of the padding the 6241FT is very comparable with the case Martin supplied with my HD28-V. Apart from a small section of cover material that needed gluing on the bottom edge of the case it is very satisfactory.

Henry likes this.
  18. michelb

michelb Gretschie

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Wow, didn't see it yet for some reason :eek: but that is a beautiful guitar gratz, also missed something somewhere cause I thought you were going for the red G2420T.
    I love the red with the aged binding and the bound f holes, good choice :D

19. Ralof

Ralof Electromatic

Mar 27, 2016
    Germany
    Only Japan Gretsch'es and some special run Electromatics comes with a case (and a + €200 price tag). I don't think you can blame Gretsch sales policy for your experience, instead, you found a shop that should be avoided. Actually, you could, maybe even should, write an email to Gretsch customer service and tell them about your experience since I believe they expect their retailers to be at least somewhat professional.

Beautiful Guitar!

20. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Not sure if Joe Carducci monitors this website like he does the GDP, but he would be interested, I'm sure...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.