Is this 1967 Gretsch as interesting as it looks?

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by SunRa, Feb 13, 2021.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    It was a limited run especially made for a retailer. Rare stuff but I do not desire to own one of these.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Apostrophes.

3. ToneM1

ToneM1 Gretschie

That was done for the music store "Sam Goody's" which was a big retail chain out of New York back in the `50's/`60's/`70's. they sold more LP & 45 Records than anything else..

4. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    I live in NYC and have collected vintage Gretsch for many, many years making frequent visits to what at the time, was the Mecca of vintage guitar enthusiasts.....48th Street in NYC. Manny's and Sam Goody were both there along with 48th St. Guitars (where I saw Les Paul being photographed for an ad). I did not read the article that someone posted but can say that Gretsch was aware of the competition between Manny's and SG and produced guitars in very limited numbers for both stores. The Cat's Eye was for Manny's and the G obviously for SG. They are hard to find. I have a Cat's Eye in black. Personally, I do not like the look of the SG version. But I can attest to playability. Mine plays very, very well. Great neck and sounds pretty darn good. And, after all these years, the binding is without any issues as well. The thing about this guitar that is interesting to me is that I bought it when I was living in Chicago back in the early 90's. When I got the guitar (and original case) I was vacuuming out the case pocket and the name of the original owner was written in ink on the pocket cover. He was from my home town of Deer Park NY. Weird. All these years later I have still not tried to find him. I am guessing he was at Deer Park high school when I was in JFK Jr. High as the guitar is a '66 or '67. (They are notorious for not having serial numbers or even labels.) I should try and find this guy! But he is not getting the guitar back! :)

ToneM1 likes this.
  5. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    This is partially true, but if you were in NY back in the 60's then SG was a place to go for lots of guitars and amps, esp. the Ampeg line like Gemini I or II. And on 48th St. in NYC they were huge sellers of gear.

6. 65club

65club Electromatic

Jul 31, 2017
    USA
    FWIW, Sam ASH is the seller of musical instruments that had a store on 48th St. Sam GOODY sold records but I believe they did have some very low end instruments as well.

Goody did have a store around the block on 49th St though and apparently 2 stores still exist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Goody

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  7. Jackrd

Jackrd Electromatic

Nov 27, 2017
    New York NY
    Yes, you are correct. Regrets for my forgetting that. Sam Ash was the big store. But Sam Goody sold instruments. I bought a Hagstrom and an Ampeg Gemini I there. They had some pretty good stuff. But yes, Sam Ash was the bigger store on 48th. I live in NYC and have not been down to 48th st. since the beginning of the pandemic and before. I should go see what is left on that block. There were a few stores but left but not many at all.

8. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    It's certainly an interesting guitar, mainly because I have never seen that model before.
    However I think it is quite ugly and just does'nt look right.
    Considering that it has had a neck reset I thought the joint looks a bit dodgy, those tuners look like they don't belong and the g-holes look a bit naff.
    I bet it wasn't in production for very long.

9. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I kinda like it! The aesthetics of the G-holes are in no way matching or consistent with those of the guitar, in fact I’d go so far as to call it a design calamity. Still, I find it oddly appealing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.