Is there a good low ampage tube amp?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Midlifecrisis71, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Great :)

Seeing your amp has an FX loop, and hopefully one day you'll use it, I recommend what I think is the best and most versatile mid priced delay pedal. Also has a good looper

TC Electronics Flashback 2.
    https://www.tcelectronic.com/tcelectronic/product?modelCode=P0CKR

If you don't use the FX loop it doesn't matter what you buy imo.
    Any el cheapo will do :D

Ktone and Midlifecrisis71 like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Midlifecrisis71 likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    How long of a delay do you need? I would dump a delay at the moment and save for a Mystery Brain. You’ll get more than just some echo / delay, it really is a great pedal. When I use it it is usually the only one I have on. Same with the Jr Barnyard/ El Pecadoro. With any of those I don’t want anything else on the chain. At most my reverb pedal or fix of some sort. But that isn’t the norm with those pedals. Be warned I am biased, and they aren’t cheap.

4. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    @Midlifecrisis71 I can recommend a MXR Carbon Copy mini as a great little delay pedal.

Bertotti likes this.
  5. Bravefaces

Bravefaces Gretschie

Jan 13, 2014
    Central Australia NT
    If it helps, I have the version 1 and wouldn't hesitate looking at the X2. None of the fuse software or support is available for it from Fender anymore but there is still stuff to be found out there on the net. I never used that stuff anyway and I'm not a purist of any kind but straight out of the box the amp was a pleasant surprise to me and covers everything I want and need. Cheers Nate

6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have the original Carbon Copy I do love it but it is a bit darker, another one of those things you may want to try before you buy. They have a bright version and the mini as well. I have not used either. Is the mini darker like the original?

Viking Power likes this.
  7. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    My first delay pedal was the GarageTone Axle Grease and I still have it on my board. I also have Belle Epoch and one from Old Blood Noise Endeavors called a Dweller (it's a phaser/delay). I will never give up the Axle Grease. The repeats are unique to my ears with just the right amount of crunch. They're really inexpensive and I've had mine for at least 10 years now. I've used it in front of an amp as well as in the FX loop. There's a handful on Reverb right now and it looks like one in the UK --

https://reverb.com/p/visual-sound-garagetone-axle-grease-delay.

8. Midlifecrisis71

Midlifecrisis71 Electromatic

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K

Can you alter the delay at all? it looks like just a switch. Thank you for your time.

9. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Not sure what you mean ... there's an bypass switch to engage/disengage the effect. But the adjustable parameters are Time/Repeats/Level. Time ranges from 0-450 milliseconds -- Repeats will go into oscillation -- Level is a broad sweep from subtle background to in-your-face to way louder than the original signal. If you're wanting to alter the tonality or character of the delay, this isn't that pedal. It's just more or less/shorter or longer of the same sound. I'm just super fond of the sound. The Belle Epoch has a Rec Level pot that changes the character of the repeat from clean to dirty. But there's a ton of other delay pedals that offer more options. My wife has a JHS Lucky Cat delay that offers some different character delays. And I'm guessing there's a million other options too. I just really like the Axle Grease sound and it's pretty affordable.

10. JetSoldTears

JetSoldTears Electromatic

Jul 4, 2017
    New York
    Go To monoprice.com and buy the 1w/5w, 12"
    Stage Right by Monoprice 15-Watt 1x12 Guitar Combo Tube Amp with Celestion Speaker and Spring Reverb

You cannot/willnot find a better tube amp for the money. I have it, and can't believe how good it is. The only criticism I've ever heard of it, is that you can't gig with it. Okay. I don't need to - and so I can save $800.

Midlifecrisis71 and MrWookiee like this.
  11. Viking Power

Viking Power Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2018
    Mountlake Terrace, WA
    The mini has a button to brighten the tone. So best of both worlds I guess.

Midlifecrisis71 and Bertotti like this.
  12. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    Sorry my mistake I didn't look at the bigger picture (literally) and didn't see the control knobs:oops::)

oneforsorrow likes this.
  13. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    In the U.K and Europe I think they are branded Harley Benton. They have good reviews but always out of stock. I have purchased a Marshall dsl5cr now which so far is excellent.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.