Is there a good low ampage tube amp?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Midlifecrisis71, Jan 1, 2022.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Well, if 4 watts is too loud, there is the Blackstar HT1R MKII 1-Watt Tube Combo.

[​IMG]

bhatta, Midlifecrisis71 and Waxhead like this.
  2. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I like Blackstar amps and 4w is not too much for home use imo if the amp has a good master volume and separate gain dials.

The 90 watt Mark V, for example, also does 45w and 10w but its bedroom level tones are fantastic even on 90w cos its master dial is so great.

Same with Fillmore 25.
    It doesn't have variable wattage but it's fantastic at home volume at 25w cos of its great separate master dial. And every amp also needs a separate gain dial for good low volume use imo.

I've had 3 different Mesa Boogie amps with variable wattage and all were great at bedroom volume on their 5w and 10w settings. Same with the 2 Egnater amps I owned :)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    Midlifecrisis71 likes this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Again I was too lazy to wade through all the replies. I have a Vox Nighttrain original one 7.5-15 watts can be quiet but begs to be turned up and gets loud. JSX Mini colossal which has its own attenuator can be quiet or louder sounds good if you like EL84 break up and a Nocturne Baby Blondeshell also a great bedroom amp plenty quiet even with some break up. So many choices for 100 to over 1000$. You really need to know what you want. I would suggest a bigger master volume amp or put your modeler through a Fryette Powerstation. Use what you have plus add a piece of gear that can boost attenuate add a fix loop and impedance match. I have said many times it should have been the thirds piece of gear I bought after my First Guitar and amp. Good luck unless of course you already made a choice then enjoy!

Midlifecrisis71, T Bone and Waxhead like this.
  4. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Replacement speaker is an area to research to dial in your less expensive amp….
    Lower watt speaker for break up / Green back 25-30wt
    More proficient higher watt speaker for cleans / Celestion V30, 60wt.
    12 inch is most available.

5. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    The Vox AC10C1 is extremely versatile at any of it's volume settings. I play everything pretty clean, so how it would handle distortion is anybody's guess.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I use a 4-watt VOX with the master volume defeated for clean sounds.

Midlifecrisis71 and Waxhead like this.
  7. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Haven't you also swapped in the correct alnico speaker into your 4w Vox ??

ZackyDog and Midlifecrisis71 like this.
  8. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The LT25 you have now doesn’t sound that bad to me?

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Hard to tell anything in a video. But on playback it sounds ok. I think sitting in a room with it I would get bored with it. I say this mainly because of my past experiences with SS amps. I started with the MG 50 dfx Marshall. Tried it in the store and it sounded great to me. At that point I had never been in a room with a real tube amp. On the way to the register a man came in and fired up a tube amp of similar size to the MG. It was room filling glorious tone none of the effects. Two weeks later I was back in the store with the MG snagging the very same amp I heard, the MG SS sound grated on my ears so badly after a few days at home I couldn’t take it anymore. A recording just doesn’t capture the sound we hear in the room. I would take any of the inexpensive tube recommendations in this thread over any SS or hybrid tube pre SS power section amp. Ideally I would suggest that to the OP. The Fryette is the next piece as I suggested above. It does make the two little hybrid amps I have, single tune preamp and SS power section amps, sound much better going through the power amp section of the Fryette Power Station.

OP take that amp you have to a store with a nice selection of tube amps and compare them. I think that room filling presence I noticed might just be the missing link you are looking for. Won’t know until you try.

Waxhead, Midlifecrisis71 and Ricochet like this.
  10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Just waxed through the whole thread, my biggest comment is to try that supro! Store people usually like to help new people but listen to there play it and try it yourself. I couldn’t play a song when I tried my first amps but I knew a few chords and played those and a scale or two and followed my ears and per spit on after my fateful disastrous first purchase. If you ain’t felling it don’t buy it!

Waxhead and Midlifecrisis71 like this.
  11. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    All legit points in an ideal world, but if I read OP right, he has limitations in budget and volume?

Midlifecrisis71 and Bertotti like this.
  12. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep. I finally made it through the whole thread. My comment just before your reply says it all. He most likely hit a good idea with that supro he first posted, he really needs to go try it!

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Yes...

upload_2022-1-7_10-0-42.jpeg

14. Midlifecrisis71

Midlifecrisis71 Electromatic

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    I really do appreciate your time and knowledge, thank you. The Supro is interesting but doesn't have an effects loop whereas the Laney one does.
    I'm hopefully selling one of my mountain bikes this weekend so the budget may increase unless the wife gets her mitts on it:cool:

pmac11, Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yours is maybe the only 4 watt Vox AC in existence that actually sounds like a Vox AC amp. None of the stock one's with the ceramic chinese speaker do. I say same about Vox AC10 too :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    pmac11 and Runamok like this.
  16. captain_jack

captain_jack Electromatic

Jan 3, 2022
    Brooklyn, NY
    Anyone have experience with the Orange Rocker 15? It runs at 15, 7, 1 and 0.5W. I'm curious how it's tone quality in the lower settings compares with other 1w or 5w amps (like the Blackstar and Marshall for example).

17. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    After testing as many amps that were available which wasn't many! I have ordered a Marshall dsl5cr as it was the one I liked the sound of most of all the 1-15 watt amps tested. I liked the Supro as well but it had no effects loop and was another £200 so couldn't justify paying the extra for no gain (pun intended:))
    I have also got the opportunity to buy a used Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 amp head to start a mini stack. Anyone have one or used one?

Waxhead, panhead6zero and Bertotti like this.
  18. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    20220112_150136.jpg Here is my new amp, I thought it was smaller in the shop! Marshall dsl5cr.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022 at 12:25 PM
  19. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    And how are you liking it?

20. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    So far so good, definitely a better tone than my lt25, just need a delay pedal.

Viking Power and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.