Is there a good low ampage tube amp?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Midlifecrisis71, Jan 1, 2022.

1. Midlifecrisis71

Midlifecrisis71 Electromatic

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    I am new to playing guitar and have a Fender LT25 modelling amp but want a natural amp so I can hear the proper tone of my guitar. My playing is terrible more akin to drowning cats than Stray Cats (;)) so I need it to be quiet but still get the tone from it.....any recommendations?

Cheers Gary.

I mean low output/quiet.

2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    There's many of them out there these days.
    Try the 1/2 watt to 5 watt Bugera T5. You can use head phones with it too.
    It's sound is somewhere between Vox & Fender.

3. tmcq65

tmcq65 Electromatic

Nov 10, 2021
    Pennsylvania
    I like my Fender Bassbreaker 15. It has a structure switch with three gain settings, a gain knob and a master volume, so it's easy to setup the amount of breakup you want at any volume. I'm finding this week, since I'm off work and playing all day, that it really sounds amazing after it's been on for a few hours.

4. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    Again, not answering your question (sorry about that) but it depends on what 'quiet' means. I have a 7 watt Fender Vibro Champ clone and it is too loud for me. Quiet for me means my neighbours (in a duplex) or someone in the next room not being bothered by my playing.

So if this is what quiet means to you then maybe someone has an answer but I don't, at least not in terms of an amp.

If you want to be able to practice and really hear your guitar like you think it should sound, I would suggest a Waza Air. Most folks will not want to pay this kind of money for a pair of headphones but if you can afford the luxury, you won't turn back. This is not like practicing using the headphone output of an amp but a very different experience. Costly but ideal often is.

mrfixitmi and Midlifecrisis71 like this.
  5. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    Found this, anyone got one? Looks cool go perfectly with my black 5230:)

Screenshot_20220101-155400_Chrome.jpg

6. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    £249 in the sale from Anderton's (no I don't work for them)

7. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I have the 5 watt version, but in white. Had it about a week and love it.

Midlifecrisis71 likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There's more of a choice in low wattage tube amps than most other sizes. The sky's the limit. From simple basic amps like the Gretsch5222/Fender Champ 600, to Epi's Valve Jr., to custom one-off builds like DeLisle or Winfield, there are many possible choices. The hard part will be choosing just one.

9. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K

How loud is the 5 watt one? I don't want anyone other than my family to hear me until I can string abtune together:)

T Bone and Gretschtim1 like this.
  10. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    I dont have one but I have its big sister, The Blues King. Very Happy with it.
    IMG_20211222_185231616.jpg

11. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    If you really don't want anyone to hear you don't play.....Hey just kidding man...:D
    But seriously an amp with a headphone option would be the best bet if you don't want to be heard by others.

Merc and Midlifecrisis71 like this.
  12. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    I can't wear headphones they give me a headache after about ten minutes, same with buds.

13. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I can get it to sound good at room volume, but whisper quiet, no. I generally dial up cleaner tones. However, it seems to come alive a slightly higher volume. So not sure about how quiet you need. My wife says she can it hear it still when I shut the door but it's like a background noise. If that makes sense.

Midlifecrisis71 likes this.
  14. Midlifecrisis71

Nov 26, 2021
    Exeter, U.K
    That sounds fine, don't mind the noise around the house. Neighbours have babies/toddlers so need to be wary of them. One of my neighbours is a good guitar player but a complete arse so don't want his criticism:D

new6659 likes this.
  15. Gewdkharma

Gewdkharma Gretschie

Jan 14, 2018
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Lol.

I decided on 5 watt for the reverb, more tone control, and the 10 inch speaker. Got a surprisingly great deal with GC so went with the white one they have. Not as cool looking as the black and the tweed versions though. 20211224_214503.jpg

16. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Marshall DSL 1 is a good one, i have the head and like it alot, 1w can get loud but its got a power cut switch on back that makes it whisper quiet. Vox AC4's are cool too.

17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I get you - I don't like using them for too long either.
    Some little amps work down to under 1/2 watt which is pretty quiet.
    The best thing to do is to try a bunch of them out in a quiet section of the music store where you can judge the loudness better. If the store is too noisy with a lot of loud playing going on that all goes out the window.
    One thing to mention - playing clean tones is less disturbing to people in the house than distorted sounds.

new6659 and Midlifecrisis71 like this.
  18. Zeek

Zeek Country Gent

May 29, 2016
    Illinois USA
    A few tears ago I had a Ibanez tube screamer 15w/5w amp head. It was great.
    Wish i never sold it and not real sure why I did, Lol.
    IBANTSA15H.jpg IMAG9354.jpg

19. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Remember---even one watt can bring the police to your door.
    You apartment/condo dwellers need to be careful. Put that amp on an outside wall.

20. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    This is a fine choice ! :cool::cool::cool:
    Don't hesitate... ;)

A+!

Waxhead, pmac11 and Zeek like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.