Is the Gretsch G9531 style 3 getting a 2nd chance?

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
The Gretsch Roots collection almost disappeared about as quick as it was introduced at NAMM 2017 barely lasting 2 years.
They were very attractive looking 0-000 sized parlor guitars which comprised 3 different models. The Gretsch G9511 Style 1, Gretsch G9521 Style 2 000 Slotted, and the Gretsch G9531 style 3

1649923742400.jpeg

Lately I have seen ads for the pre-order of Gretsch G9531 style 3(the one on the left) crop up everywhere. Most in the $600-650 ballpark. Definitely no coincidence.

Last edited:

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
These guitars and most of the Roots Collection were disrupted by the Cort Indonesia Factory fire in 2018. Production of biggest-selling models (the Jim Dandy and the Rancher series) was shifted to the Wildwood Indonesia factory in late 2019. We all know what has happened around the world over the last two years, so re-introduction of other models has been on hold for a while. Hopefully, what you're seeing is the ramping up of return to production.
Personally, I'd like to see the mandolin series come back, but those were made in China, not Indonesia.
I've also been wanting a Style 3 for awhile.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
These guitars and most of the Roots Collection were disrupted by the Cort Indonesia Factory fire in 2018. Production of biggest-selling models (the Jim Dandy and the Rancher series) was shifted to the Wildwood Indonesia factory in late 2019. We all know what has happened around the world over the last two years, so re-introduction of other models has been on hold for a while. Hopefully, what you're seeing is the ramping up of return to production.
Personally, I'd like to see the mandolin series come back, but those were made in China, not Indonesia.
I've also been wanting a Style 3 for awhile.

The fire in 2014 was more serious and burned down the amp division. There was no real fire in 2018, just a lot of smoke, and workers went back to work the following day. Maybe it was the final straw before moving production to Wildwood, who knows?

I'd love a style 3, I've been kicking myself for procrastinating 3 years ago. Not sure I like the price hike though. $600-650 from 450-ish at introduction?

Bob Perrone

Gretschie
Mar 7, 2017
allentown, pa
I've always wanted the Style 2, but if they come back at that price (or higher) I'll pass. $650+ for an instrument like that/where it is made is too high. You can do much better in that price range with a Yamaha build quality wise.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
I've always wanted the Style 2, but if they come back at that price (or higher) I'll pass. $650+ for an instrument like that/where it is made is too high. You can do much better in that price range with a Yamaha build quality wise.

I hear that. I don't think I'll pull the trigger anytime soon either.