Is the Flasback 2 what I'm looking for?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by J Bird, Aug 4, 2021.

1. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I've enjoyed, for the last couple of years, the Hardwire dl-8 on the lo-fi setting. It has the (high pass?) filtering to really degrade the repeats to my liking (think dub). Unfortunately, it doesn't ping-pong with stereo inputs (no dip switch to enable). There are also, what I call, digital artifacts when turning the time knob. The pots are graduated, rather than smooth, a poor choice, in my estimation.

All this is leading me to look for a replacement. A quick survey of the Toneprints for the Flashback 2 don't really yield exactly what I'm looking for however, using the editor, I could more than likely cook up what I need. Correct?

To boil it down, I want:

Ping-pong, no matter mono or stereo inputs.

Not just warm analog delay, but one that gets run through a pass filter to seriously degrade the repeats.

Smooth turning time knob with no digital artifacts for glissando spaceship-like landings and takeoffs.

Will the Flashback 2 fit the bill? Any others to consider?

2. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Theoretically you can use the editor to create what you want...that's one thing that keeps the Flashback and HOF on my radar.

-m

J Bird likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    There's nothing you can't do with Flashback 2 with either standard settings, using toneprints, or creating your own effects using the deep dive app.

Many instruction videos on youtube also on how to do it

J Bird likes this.
  4. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    It's the pedal David Gilmour used after he moved away from the Binson Echorec drum machines before "The Wall" album. Very responsive but a bit short on atmosphere for me.

J Bird likes this.
  5. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    I have the pedal and it does have a "tape", "lo-fi", and "analog" settings, but there is no adjustment for tape crinkle or degradation. I haven't used the Flashback in a long time because I upgraded to a Strymon El Capistan, which does exactly what you're looking for and can do pristine ambient environments (which is what I use it for mostly). The El Cap is quite pricey and I imagine there are other DDs out there that do what you're looking for. Hopefully others will chime in.

J Bird likes this.
  6. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

After looking at the Toneprint editor manual, it appears to have all that I will need, and more. There are stand-alone pedals that have high pass (and low pass) filters, like the el Cap, Avalanche Run, and others. I'm going to sleep on it a couple of nights, then, most likely, get a Flashback 2. It has massive capabilities, small footprint and it's way more affordable than a MoogerFooger.

I also took a deeper dive into what King Tubby was doing on the mixing console to get those crazy dub sounds. There isn't really any physical documentation (photos, videos or journals) as to his method. But he used a fairly small (tiny by today's standards) MCI mixing console, an Altec 9069b variable high pass filter, a Fisher SpaceXpander spring reverb unit, and, of course, delay (most likely Ampex for playback and Scully for delay and an Echoplex is also mentioned). It was the Altec Filter that had the biggest knob, thus it's referred to as KTBK.

Although I play a lot of 'conventional' rock and roll, I like to step into dub mode to be creative in the moment.

Thanks for all the input. You all know how we can get all knotted up when it comes to getting new gear.

Waxhead and mr coffee like this.
  7. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Wait what?

-m

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yes any possible parameter is fully tweakable on Flashback 2 and it's also at least half the price of many of it's competitors that aren't half as great :)

9. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Well I got that wrong and now will have to find out where I got that from. He moved away from the Binson but it was to a Boss digital and MXR System II and just the MXR on at least his 3rd solo album and switched to Boss DD-2 and Providence Chrono.

mr coffee likes this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I reckon if Flashback was available when Dave recorded those classics he would have ditched the Boss.
    All the DDs are duds compared to Flashback imo

I owned DD2, 5 and 7 and sold them all after I got Flashback 2 :)

mr coffee likes this.
  11. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Gilmour was a creature of habit and explored tonal options and replaced equipment infrequently or until he was informed about their ability to provide unique tonal options.

He mostly used the MXR. I think if Catalinbread was around with the Echorec, copying his big and clumsy drum machine by Binson, he might have went with that. Up to his last studio album in 2015, "Rattle That Lock", he was using The DD-2 still, Providence Digital Delay, and even back to the Boinson Echorec 2 drum machine.

His pedal board looked like a NASA control panel!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.