Is Gretsch building a FSR "Dark Eyes" model?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by nasonm, Nov 18, 2020.

1. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Davidlim46, Marv666, RomanS and 7 others like this.
  2. AlexO

AlexO Electromatic

Jul 25, 2017
    Manchester
    The Japanse retailer who posted sure gets a lot of cool Custom Shop Gretsch guitars so I wonder if that is also one.

Edit - just seen the FSR hashtag. Maybe it is then, super cool either way.

3. afire

afire Country Gent

Anybody can get an FSR made if they pony up with the requisite minimum order. It just seems like the Japanese retailers do more interesting stuff.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Limuz

Limuz Gretschie

Sep 8, 2012
    Netherlands
    Hot dang, I want that thing RIGHT NOW.

L Robbins likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Glad to see the guitar, but not so happy to see that someone is calling it "Dark Eyes". As far as I can tell, that was a bunch of hype, manufactured to try to sell the original and attaching that name to the guitar only happened recently.

nasonm and Dave-B like this.
  6. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Aye,it's cool to see it actually happen,even in limited FSR guise .

Agree about all the hype around it though,its all BS.

If i had it, it would get a set of these.

[​IMG]

TV the Wired Turtle and nasonm like this.
  7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Agreed on all counts.

8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Those f-holes are outta sight!

9. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    Same. If it wasn't up for sale it wouldn't be nearly as hyped. The solid top "CGP" stereo one still has some mysticism because we don't know the person that bought it.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Nice!
    What finish/inserts are those?

I like the industrial velvet look too.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That CGP is probably about the only guitar I would consider buying, at this point.
    Probably gold sparkle drum material.

12. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

They also have a blue sparkle Falcon listed on eBay that is WOW!

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Those are Rooster'trons Tvjones makes for me. Its a ray butts pickup w a filtertron classic bottom plate in a DeArmond case w parchment bobbin covers. They seem much whiter outside on the milkbottle white finish of the Nocturne Rooster.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

drmilktruck, radd, Merc and 4 others like this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

I can't disagree that the hype spiraled out of control with the sale (and it's still for sale, listed on Reverb by Rumble Seat for the princely and absurd sum of about $275,000). To put it in perspective, Chet's sealed top red 6120, a truly iconic and prolifically recorded guitar, on which the CGP model was based, only pulled in $40,000 at auction.

That said, it's a cool guitar that has been well known to Gretsch fans for a long time. I think it was in the Bacon and Day book and it certainly caught my rapt attention the first time I saw it.

And while I'd be tempted to make some or all of the mods Chet made it the original, I have no problem with how they went with reissuing in in its original form. Kind of like what Rickenbacker did with the 325C58. It was probably a forgone conclusion that most owners would end up installing a Bigsby B5 and bowtie bridge, and likely replace the oven knobs with Hofner/Burns/radio knobs. But part of the fun with those guitars was deciding to what, if any, degree you might want to Lennonize it and in what stage of its evolution you wanted to settle.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    What bothered me is that there was obviously some manufactured hype surrounding it. I doubt that they will get anywhere close to their asking price for it. Probably, what bothers me the most is the fact that these jokers could think that there are people gullible enough to fall for their publicity. It strikes me as insulting.

I find provenance to be highly overrated. I’ve played guitars with interesting provenance, and that’s fine, but it doesn’t change the guitar. The fact that Chet, played a guitar is about as significant as provenance can get, but would I buy a particular guitar for just that reason? Not at all.

16. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    For those who haven’t heard it, the original.

17. afire

afire Country Gent

What bothers me most is that they did, and continue to, refer to it as a "prototype".

This makes me want to pull my hair out:
    "This guitar represents a huge piece of musical history, and the beginning of the beginning of the everlasting relationship between Chet Atkins and The Gretsch Guitar Company."

Really? The "beginning of the begining?" The Chet Atkins Hollowbody had been in production for two years by the time this guitar was made. How can a prototype be made two years into a model's production? The truth is that it was a one-off custom example made for reasons lost to history. Nothing more, nothing less.

JC higgy likes this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Exactly. There is a whiff of Snake Oil in the air, with regard to the hype surrounding this guitar.

19. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Do not like. Painted F-holes are trash.

new6659 likes this.
  20. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I believe the F holes are real but with inserts from drum material ,well,the original guitar was anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.