Is Gibson allowed here?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Glaw, Jan 12, 2021.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Gibson, I gave up on Gibson for a few years after having bought a new ES335 that was a disaster. I sold it for a big loss. It was made during one of Gibson’s low points.

But, I’m still hooked on the brand. I love my TV yellow LP Special and I think the LP Classics are fantastic guitars for their price point.
    I should have bought this stunner I played at Guitar Showcase a few years ago.

0E7B508A-534D-412C-8D5B-F0361B1C3D94.jpeg

2. Jochie

Jochie Electromatic

Feb 21, 2019
    the Netherlands
  3. Jochie

Jochie Electromatic

Feb 21, 2019
    the Netherlands
    Every guitar counts!!
    From L to R:
    -telecaster baja
    -american pro strat
    -5420 with true-arc copper bridge
    -Eastman AR 372
    -paco castillo 222 ce
    -Eastman ac 222 ce - ov
    -Epiphone ft 79 inspired by Texan.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  4. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    That looks like a fun store, wish there was one like that near me.

5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Sweet instrument.

Congrats and enjoy.

Glaw likes this.
  6. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Electromatic

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Glaw likes this.
  7. Abeno Matto

Abeno Matto Gretschie

May 8, 2014
    Japan
    Nice job Gibson. That is a classy guitar.

Glaw likes this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    That's a shame that you got a bad one. Once you play a good one you will never want to let it go. My 1975 that I bought new is a great guitar and has served me well through most of my music career. I have to say that during the 90s and early 2000s I played a handful of 335s that sucked bad. I played them for a few minutes and was done with them. I was forced to play a bad one live one night when a friend's band called me up to play and sing a few songs. I struggled to play that piece of junk. I've had the same thing happen with various Fender, Rickenbacker & Gretsch guitars over the years. Makes you wonder how this stuff gets past quality control.

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I agree, I would love to play a good 335. They are beautiful guitars.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  10. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    Made in Montana. Plays great and sounds awesome. Love playing j45s, the shorter scale makes it easier to get around for me. Part of guitar ownership to me is just admiring the artwork that goes into it and the history of the model. All my guitars have two things in common, they sound great(to me) and they are beautiful to my eyes. This one didn’t disappoint especially on the beauty part.

11. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    I have a 1985 and 2001 335 and they are my favorite electric guitars. Mostly use my 2001 and keep my 85 under wraps.

radd and Gretschtim1 like this.
  12. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    What's not to love to this?

[​IMG]

Robbie, new6659, Shock and 3 others like this.
  13. Runamok

Runamok Synchromatic

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Gibson is only allowed when accompanied by an adult.

14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    My 335 has been my favorite guitar since the day I bought it. I played thousands of shows and did many sessions with it. Right now it's in the shop getting some fret work done. I've played it so much that the frets are worn down.
    I can't wait to get it back - I really miss it. First time in 40 years it's been out of my hands for more than a day or two. The SG is filling in right now in the meantime.

radd, Mr Swisher and Glaw like this.
  15. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    What year?

16. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Pretty guitar. P90 Les Pauls are sweet!

I've always enjoyed the ES-335 and after I played @Robbie old white 355 I determined I had to get a decent one.

That wasn't that easy

I tried dozens of them every place I could and none of them worked for me. Neck too thin - neck too fat - awkward feel - etc.

I was scoping them out at the local L&M and saw this black ES-335 hanging up. When I tried it the neck contour was perfect and I loved the way it felt. When I went to look at the price tag I had a little sticker shock...

$500

I was then I realized it was an Epiphone and $150 bucks discount for an in-store flash sale.

I couldn't find a single flaw in it so it came home with me. However, the ES-335 I wanted needed to be better than good so off it went to Weston Instruments in Ottawa where amazing luthier Ian Weston did his mind-blowing PLEK and set up to it. As well, I wasn't simply looking for great playing, I wanted it to sound the part too, so the "pretty good" Epi pro-buckers came out and a set of DiMarzio PAFs I purchased off a buddy went in.

Now I couldn't be happier. It looks great, is beautifully made, sounds wonderful and has an absolutely amazing neck. And just to sweeten the whole deal, $500 + $180 (pickups) + $250 (PLEK and set up) = $930.

SCORE!!!!

(Now, if only I could borrow a cup of mojo from Robb's old Es-355...)

Robbie, new6659 and Mr Swisher like this.
  17. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Gibson ain’t so bad?

11CAF557-0FAE-44A6-9989-EFEEB1A86DBE.jpeg

Mr Swisher likes this.
  18. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    IMG_0507.JPG

19. Glaw

Glaw Electromatic

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    Mr Swisher, Robbie and Tony65x55 like this.
  20. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Kind words my Friend....thanks. The 355 was a real find and has been my main player for close to 30 years. The right combination of wood, wires and strings. I’ve never picked up a guitar that spoke to me like that one. I’ve had lots of offers to sell it but I always say no thanks and besides I promised a guy in Oshawa first dibs :)

Tony65x55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.