Is being a Pro a blessing and a curse?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MrWookiee, Jul 29, 2021.

1. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I was going to post this in a different thread but didn't want to hijack it. It seems to me that a being a touring pro has the downside of being obligated to play the same stuff over and over in order to keep your fans happy (and pay the bills) while forfeiting to some degree your ability to grow or branch out into different things lest you lose your fan base. I could very well be wrong, and there are exceptions, but would enjoy hearing from you successful folks.

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Listen to Rick Nelson's "Garden Party".

How many times has Duane Eddy played "Rebel Rouser" in his life?

audept and MrWookiee like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Sure it does . Just ask Gene Simmons of KISS and the thousands of groupies that he's met over the years :rolleyes:

Mr Swisher and MrWookiee like this.
  4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    IDK, work is work. Every profession has its downsides and benefits.

One enjoys it or tolerates it.

5. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I saw The Church once, they really seemed to be enjoying their time onstage until it came to the end of the night. They grumbled about having to play That Song, then proceeded to play Under The Milky Way so all the fans could leave happy. I kind of get it. One might wonder how many "fans" really appreciated the rest of the set, and how many came just to hear Milky Way and Reptile. What must that feel like as an artist, to look out over a sea of faces and feel like these people don't really want to hear any of the other songs that you've worked so hard on and poured your very soul into. I might feel a little resentful too...

-m

Viking Power likes this.
  6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I've seen them a few times. I find in recent years Steve has become a lot more relaxed about the songs which have "paid the bills". Genuinely looks like he enjoys them as much.

I think this is a tale told often before a band matures and remembers that the paying punters are all that matters. Otherwise they can sit at a desk all day and do a crap job like mine.

MrWookiee and blueruins like this.
  7. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I'm in IT. I worked a couple of years under a twice Grammy nominated musician, who one year was barely bested by SRV for the award. He's a private guy and a friend so will remain nameless. When I asked him why he chose to get into IT instead of continuing writing/recording/touring, his answer was simple: "I like to have some kind of idea of when and for how much my next paycheck will be". For a highly regarded and critically acclaimed musician to say that, it really provides some perspective on the life. Granted, he was always interested in technology anyway so it was a natural transition, but still.

I also worked with a well-known guitarist on missile guidance technology. Can't give his name either because it was work that required a clearance, but everyone here would recognize the name. I was surprised as hell to see him. As a contracted civilian, when asked how he would like to be addressed, he said the stage first name he's known by, which is a pretty funny name.

A ton of musicians end up in IT or some sort of other technology sector. There's a reason for that, and some of it is the Benjamins.

MrWookiee, blueruins and toddfan like this.
  8. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Ask Carl Perkins about blue suede shoes.

9. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Yeah, it's pretty common. I've heard more than a few stories of aspiring musicians asking their heroes if they had any advice, and the advice was always something to the effect of "don't bother." A lot of musicians who have decent lifestyles have those lifestyles because of wise investments and business decisions.

-m

10. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    It's pretty easy to recognize your second named guitarist....it's not a big secret that he works on such things...he's even testified in front of Congress. His nickname kind-a stinks. ;)

dlew919, gtttrrr and blueruins like this.
  11. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    It's pretty easy to recognize your second named guitarist....it's not a big secret that he works on such things...he's even testified in front of Congress. His nickname kind-a stinks. ;)

12. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    It's pretty easy to recognize your second named guitarist....it's not a big secret that he works on such things...he's even testified in front of Congress. His nickname kind-a stinks.;)

13. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I can’t imagine ever getting tired of playing a successful song. How ungrateful do you have to be?

Robbie and pmac11 like this.
  14. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I am a professional amateur. I play the same songs to the same people. :D

15. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    His doctor might have a better idea of the downsides. :eek:

pmac11, blueruins and thunder58 like this.
  16. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Oh well hell, cat's outta the bag then! And yes, he is a stinky one!:)

17. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    (...sorry about the triple post....I tried to delete when I accidentally hit "quote" instead of "reply"...but couldn't find the "delete" button...)

18. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    Thanks for the hints! I never knew that about him.

19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Same with every occupation I think... There is a certain dull routine to everything. At least the touring pro gets the rush of applause.

20. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    The trick is to try and add something without taking anything away.
    I'm not a pro, but I play one for my friends.....anyways....

I know fans go to a show and want to hear their favorite song/s. Many want it note-for-note from the album/single/download. THAT would get boring to me, if I had to play it like that. Happens for bar bands too. Brown-Eyed Girl had better sound like the record!!

Then I think of the Rolling Stones. Been around a few years, I think?
    If you listen to some of the live recordings ('Love You Live' , 'Get Your Ya-Ya's Out' and 'Still Life' come to mind) they have changed things. The song is the song, but maybe they added some distortion, or fuzz, or the tempo, or whatever, and the result to me is it's really cool. Midnight Rambler (ala GYYYO), or You Can't Always Get What You Want (ala Still Life) or even the raggae version of Bo Diddley's Crackin' Up (ala Love You Live)....that can make things fun and let the song progress on it's on merits and your interpretation. End Stones digression.

As a hired gun, I think you may be screwed, unless the singer or whomever you work for, has an open mind. Remember the movie Rockstar? The replacement singer hired (Mark Wallberg) is hog-tied into playing the 'role' he was hired to fill/portray.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.