Is anyone strong enough to get a 4x10 hotrod deville up the

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by weazel, Sep 2, 2013.

1. organic

organic Synchromatic

Jan 22, 2011
    Worcester UK
    This sort of thing? Got one for my blues deluxe, works just fine.

At home I keep it right down at number 1, even lower if I want to get some dirt out of my amp.

2. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I like that. Big Iron...Big Magnets = Big Sound. I like that a lot. Well said sir.

3. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    That's exactly what I use with my Hot Rod Deluxe (and extension cab).

Marlin

4. Bill

Bill Country Gent

Oct 16, 2012
    Cambs, UK
    I recommend kidnapping the small hippy who lugged my 85lbs Bassman 215 cab out of his cellar, solo... Guess he had the knack for it, not just heavy but the size of it.

Not a fan of heavy kit and stairs after chipping an ankle bone in a stumble. Beer and smoke may have been involved in it, definitely were afterwards, it did hurt.

5. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    4x10 Deville only 50 LBS according to the specs. A Vibro King is 72LBS a Twin Reverb 64 LBS. Might need to re-think the "I'm no weakling" statement:D

6. freespoken

freespoken Gretschie

Jul 31, 2011
    New Mexico
    I'd say between 2 and 4!...lol

7. DrSetzer

DrSetzer Gretschie

I just got a mint Deville 4x10 for a price I just couldn't turn down, it arrives tomorrow and I need to get it up some stairs. I broke my back a few years ago so this thread has me wondering what I have got myself into!!!!!

8. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Regarding volume knobs... I found the volume knob on my old USA Blues DeVille (Freddie's amp) useable. It was an audio taper pot. So, it wasn't so abrupt. But, I understand Fender has used linear tapers on the reissues and Hot Rods. This was part of the reason I got rid of my old DRRI. it was so abrupt in going from thin and weak to too loud... It used to frustrate the crap out of me.

But, Freddie has been using the volume box thing in the effects loop. It really helped tame the overall volume with the dirt kicking in last week on stage. It's a good solution.

9. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    but, doesn't that knacker the tubes?

10. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I don't have any personal experience but that's what I've heard from a couple of good amp Tech's, hard on tubes.
    I don't have any issues getting a good sound from my HR DeVille III 410 at low volumes. I set it on the 1st drive channel, set drive as low as possible and slowly work up the Master volume. Works really well for me, even in the smallest venues. I did the same thing with my old HR Deluxe and it worked great.

11. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Gretschie

Aug 23, 2013
    Germany
    I had a Blues Deluxe, AC30 and Blues Deville...they were all too loud and damn heavy.
    Now i have a DRRI and couldn't be happier!
    Best amp ever for me and my wallet...

12. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    My Hot Rod Deluxe (full omega mods) with cab is an insanely loud beast, particularly at home. But, it sounds sooo good, that I can't bear to get rid of it. I even run it with it's extension cab at home, through reigned in with the attenuator. The combination of Cannabis Rex and Swamp thing really bring the best out of this amp.

Marlin

13. MPM3

MPM3 Electromatic

Nov 20, 2011
    Detroit, M.I.
    Great Thread! I just got the older 212 Deville just a few days ago! I had a choice between that and the 412. Man those suckers are loud!! In the best way of course! The cleans are so crystal. The 212 is still really heavy. That 412 is a whole other beast. Both great amps. My TVJ classics sound stunning through this amp!

14. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    For anyone with a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville, you should look into Omega Amp Mods

Click the link. The video is a bit pants, but just read the testimonials.

Marlin :)

15. weazel

weazel Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    Thanx for all the input, I was out gigging with it last night again and the thing sounds great just as it is i think I'm just gonna have to start weight training :)

16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    I have a '95 Blues DeVille 212 that is just a beast in every way.....weight, volume, tone, looks(been beat to snot)and I LOVE her. Awesome amp.

17. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Glad you're going to keep it. Don't think you'll regret it, the sound and tone is outstanding. I'm hooked on 4x10

18. weazel

weazel Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    If some one can give me advice on how to put pictures up her from an I phone 4 it would be good, I've done it twice but can never do it again, I start a new thread then click on the paper clip symbol then choose an existing photo then upload , all ok so far but then there is no way of getting back to the thread I've started, what to do ? I've got pics here. Thanx

19. The Marlin

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    I use the Gretsch Talk app. It can be a little buggy, but on the whole good. When you post, you click the '+' symbol at the top of the post, add photo from iphone photo album, Bobs-yer-uncle. Easy peasy.

Marlin

20. GJK1959

GJK1959 Country Gent

Mar 14, 2011
    Bishops Stortford
    +1 get the app. It's a doddle :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.