Is anyone else done buying guitars?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by rebuhrman, May 28, 2021.

1. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s a good strategy.

pilgrim and Brian Krashpad like this.
  2. doc538

doc538 Electromatic

Sep 20, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Not yet, I should be but I'm not and I am 68, never going to perform again and only play about 5 hours a week. I tell myself just a cheapy here and there but I just saw a wicket "2011 Fender Custom Shop Custom Classic. Has less than 1/2 hour playing time. Includes all original case candy unopened, COA, plastic still on pickguard. Color is an amazing Candy Apple Green" and I believe I've fallen in love... only $2375 or I could use that money for my Insulin :confused:

rebuhrman and Chet Harrison like this.
  3. JustNorm

JustNorm Electromatic

Mar 25, 2017
    Alberta
    HowMany.jpg

Yeah i've got to many too. My favorite is a Norman B20 and the wood is starting to wear like Willie's I like it so much I just bought another Norman but it's not the same

rebuhrman and panhead6zero like this.
  4. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

I have been doing that for some years. Sell all the junk, all "not played for half a year or more", parts etc... but keep the money "out of circuit" in my B account and then get a 6120 testing several in year or so and get a keeper. You may realise that the one you like can be a preFender 1990 instead a signature or whatever

I started playing as a way of living a couple of years ago and realised I was using two guitars for the 98% and the rest were case queens... off with their heads!

Now I am happier (and use it more) with a 6120 I know is better (to me) than many others than having five cheaper (but not too bad) guitars hanging around unplayed.

5. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That is perfect. I know people that have so many guitars that they are ashamed to say how many.
    My “rule” is that every guitar I have, with the exception of specialty instruments like a Bass VI, should be capable of carrying a gig, without a guitar swap. An assortment of Pro Series Gretsch do the trick quite well. I have two Teles, as well and they can earn their keep on any gig.

In the past, I’ve seen a lot of people join the forum, very excited by whatever guitar they purchased, but then ratchet their way up to ever better instruments, in a relatively short period of time. It occurs to me that it would be less expensive to buy what the person really wants, in the first place.

6. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Absolutely... but it took me 35 years to learn it.

7. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Somewhat the same here.

El Marin likes this.
  8. Jemwielder

Jemwielder Electromatic

May 13, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    This is my last one for the foreseeable. I do like the look of Strandberg’s Jazz Salen but I’ve got plenty of instruments. Way more than a fella needs who has all but given up on playing in a band and embraced being a nerdy guitar teacher.

Attached Files:

rebuhrman and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  9. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I'm done talking about it.

10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It took me 35 years to get that kind of money…

rebuhrman and El Marin like this.
  11. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    I'm pretty content with what I have. But you never know, one's gotta go to bring another on board.

rebuhrman and Jemwielder like this.
  12. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Thinking about
    True.

But also the opposite is as well. I spent thousands getting what I wanted and ended up being happy with the ones that cost next to nothing:)

Of course CNC has changed the game quite a bit since we started this racket.

rebuhrman and 6stings like this.
  13. Wavey

Wavey Electromatic

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    Nope. Sold both my Stratocasters over the past couple of years, will get (or build) another one some day. There are also other guitars that I would like to have (at least for a while) including Fender Jazzmaster, Mosrite Ventures model electric, Gretsch 6120, Les Paul goldtop. I may have to do some horse trading to get them, but I ain't done yet!

rebuhrman likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hey stranger , how are ya

15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi Darko, always nice to hear from you!

16. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    I have pretty much all ( in truth more) than I need. In the past that didn't stop me from buying more guitars. However, my advancing age (67) and ever worsening arthritis in my left hand has me thinking no more guitar purchases. If an unbelievable deal for something I would play came along, I may be tempted. But something I currently own would have to go.

rebuhrman and audept like this.
  17. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    @6stings whassup!!!

18. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    I'm better than ever Thunder, thanks! Good to see the G-family is doing fine :)

19. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    You too Au!

Tony65x55 and audept like this.
  20. 6stings

6stings Friend of Fred

Aug 14, 2010
    Norway
    Whassup, Blue :)

Tony65x55 and blueruins like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.