Is anyone else done buying guitars?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by rebuhrman, May 28, 2021.

1. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

With the addition of the recent PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo, I should honestly say that I am done . . . oh my, look at that beauty over there. I can honestly say that there really isn't a single guitar base that hasn't been covered . . . for me.

I do think it is important for me to consider thinning the herd, though, because I have 13 electric and acoustic guitars, including a bass. I also play the drums, and have an acoustic kit and an e-kit, and I have an older Roland workstation keyboard. That's more than enough to keep anyone busy. Oh, and since I have a 9 hanger display on the wall for my guitars, I now have an incentive to reduce the number (although only the electrics will be on the wall).

Also, since I mainly play for my own enjoyment, there really is sooooo little reason for me to buy anything more. If it sounds like I'm trying to convince myself here, I admit that I am. Since I am still learning the nuances of my new PRS, it should hold off the GAS for quite a while, and then, just maybe, I'll be so concerned with practicing and playing through the rotation, that I won't have much time to pursue any other guitar. Not that I might not see something that catches my interest, so I guess we'll see.

Last edited: May 29, 2021
  2. Hmm, let's see . I've got 3 strats, 3 teles , 1 esquire a gretsch one epiphone sheraton , an ovation 1868 tx-5 , two Prs SEs a Santana and a single cut . One Gibson LP studio , and one double cut LP Jr . Also have a Fender Jazz and a P/tele bass . So I'm going to say no I'm not done , I need more . I don't gig anymore , too dam old , but I can still buy stuff . Life is good .

3. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I have way too many guitars, my new rule is buy one = sell another one. I'm trying not to buy anything right now as I'm putting money aside for a Falcon. But having hung out here, now I want a Penguin as well....

So eventually those two. Falcon needs to be white, so penguin another color. Enough day dreams, back to work :)

4. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I wish i was,and i'd like to say i'm close to being done...

But ,i'm single with no kids ,and have been debt free since 2005,so as you can see,there is no one to say "No, we can't afford that right now".

I should be selling a few ,but...:confused:
    Maybe the times right for the one in one out rule.....maybe.:oops:

5. Penguin Picker

Penguin Picker Gretschie

Apr 2, 2021
    Canada
    I'm very close to being done I think.

I want/need a second bass. Having my Hofner rendered unuseable by a tech so it had to be take to yet another tech... I've had no useable bass since Easter. I was supposed to have a couple songs recorded and released, plus videos. I'm two months behind and seriously PO'd. And we're waiting for strings to ship so... the bass has just been sitting at the second tech's for almost two weeks.

So a second bass is pretty much a need. But for guitars...

I want a 6120, PE or VS '59.

I want a VS Tennessee Rose.

But... the truth is my arthritis seems to be getting worse by the day. I'm 48 and not sure how many playing years I have left.

6. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Today, yes, I’m done.
    Probably tomorrow too.
    Next month? Who knows?!

I probably need a Jaguar or another tele eventually.

7. afire

afire Country Gent

I'm pretty much done. After a decade or so of compulsive buying and selling, during which time I rarely kept anything more than about a year, ten years ago was the last time I bought a guitar, which was from that time my only guitar. And I sold that one in December. So, I'm not quite done, but I do suspect my next may pretty much be my last. Except the custom build I commissioned 10 years ago. Maybe sometime in the next 10 years it will be completed and become my second guitar.

8. rebuhrman

rebuhrman Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Maryland, USA
    Best of luck with the arthritis.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I would like to say I am done, but I hate to lie. Because every time I think, I am done, and I say "I'm done", another "deal" comes along, on some piece of artistic eye and ear candy.

10. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York

11. Daktari9

Daktari9 Gretschie

Dec 17, 2010
    Australia
    Im done but Im not finished

12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have a FrankenTele that I rarely play, a G2420T that I've upgraded and play all the time, and a Cort Junior size acoustic that my daughter abandoned after a brief run of guitar lessons. I still want a G6659T, and a good acoustic. Would probably unload the Tele and the Cort to maintain the same numbers. So no, not done yet.

13. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    This is my current Amazon guitar wishlist if any of you are so inclined to get one for me.

GuitarWishlist.JPG

14. ImGoodThanks

ImGoodThanks Electromatic

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    I'm 67 and have about 6 beautiful guitars including a Martin SC-13e. I love the guitars I have, I have bought and sold a few and I will be keeping what I have unless I become unwell or incapable of playing anymore.

It would be silly of me to buy any more guitars, it would make no sense at all, zero so that won't be happening.

Unless I see something I really like.

15. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    Yes. Done. Absolutely.
    Unless I find an 04 Silver Falcon, and there is that double cut jet that @TheWayfarer is selling that I was about to buy till the new Honda Odyssey got in the way.

16. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Is anyone else done buying guitars?

I'll be honest and answer that I don't know, I can't tell... :oops:

A+!

17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I am DONE :eek::rolleyes:
    Yep I'm not buying any more and have no gas either.

I can't consistently play any more than 5 electrics, 1 acoustic and 1 bass.
    And have no space to store more anyway.
    I have 5 very different and high quality electrics that cover all music genres so getting more would not add anything of value imo :)

Same with my amps, cabs and pedals.
    I've already got the best (for me), most versatile and light weight amps money can buy.
    I've got the best attenuator/re-amper also so have everything covered from 1w to 50w.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  18. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I’ve been “done” buying guitars for years ...

19. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My wife is definitely “done” buying guitars:(

I just think of how lucky she is to listen to me play them....

and to have a house full of such beautiful objects...

and to always be surprised which color and gauge pick will find its way to the lint trap...

Some people just don’t know how good they have it?

Tony65x55, Stefan87, NJDevil and 5 others like this.
  20. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

I'm in a good holding pattern at this point. I have an old Takamine acoustic I'm thinking about selling which would put me at a nice round 6 guitars again. BUT...the one thing I'd still love to have is a Takamine Pro Series. Right now it's not in the cards for numerous reasons, which is probably good because the ones I like are just about impossible to get your hands on until 2022. Maybe that's a good thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.