Is anyone else done buying guitars?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by rebuhrman, May 28, 2021.

1. rebuhrman

rebuhrman Electromatic

Feb 15, 2021
    Maryland, USA
    I'm in my later years (65) After buying and selling many guitars, (especially in the last two years) I think I've bought my last guitar.

In my youth, I had many fine instruments. 335's, Les Pauls, Martins, Fenders, etc. I bought, played, and sold them, never having a big collection.

When I had to watch the money more closely, I experimented with the $400-$600 (new) range of guitars.

Recently I went more high-end, buying a core model PRS, a J-45 Acoustic, and a Gretsch 6118 Annie. (all used but excellent condition) They were all fantastic, but I ended up only keeping the Gibson acoustic.

I sold the PRS and the Gretsch Annie. With the proceeds, I purchased a mint Fender American Performer Strat and a Gretsch 6114 "New Jet". So with the J-45 rounding out the trio, I'm done buying.

I don't play out a lot, so I don't need backups - and these three guitars cover all the bases for me.

The Strat can do almost anything. And it gives me that glassy, open, jangly sweet tone.
    The Gibson J-45 is just a sweet acoustic that is really balanced and full.
    And the Gretsch covers that fat, full humbucker tone for a nice darker feel, especially when some grit or distortion is added.

So I'm done buying guitars.

(p.s. I almost forgot my 4th guitar, a Squier Tele that I paid $125 for. We all need to have a beater, right?)

Anyone else feel this way? strat-and-gretsch.jpg J45.jpg

2. toddfan

toddfan Synchromatic

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    I'll put it this way...

I SHOULD be done, but I still want a Tom Anderson Drop Top S (or, maybe a Classic S) and I also want a Rickenbacker 4003 Bass.

......And....

I'd kinda like to have one of those Rivolta Combinata XVII's.

And, no doubt...something else will come along to tickle my fancy. In fact, an new guitar store is opening up in my area this weekend...so, my wife is hiding our $$$ as I type. :D

So, NO, I can't join the "I'm Done" crowd.

But...I'm definitely proud of YOU!

new6659, rebuhrman, thunder58 and 2 others like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm done.

Sure, there's a few that grab my attention and always will, but I've got my little herd and I'm contented.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Pretty much done for guitars…

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes. And no.

I am very happy with my rig. I am fortunate to be able to buy basically anything I've really wanted. If I don't have it, it's because I don't want it that much. I play one guitar, one amp, one pedalboard 99% of the time.

That said, I do want a Gretsch custom shop, probably when I hit a work target. I could afford it now, but I'd rather be patient.

I have a wife budget of one guitar a year- honestly, she wouldn't really care if I bought more now, we are both financially responsible and trust each other. I often build up credit as I just don't find anything I really want.

There are a few guitars that I am contemplating, such as a Martin OM without cutaway and electrics (I have the OMC 28E). Always considering the Gretsch Duane Eddy 6-bass. Also the St. Vincent signature. But those last 2 I will admit are more for collection purposes- I think they are cool guitars, but I probably won't use them that much, and I like things that are unique.

So the answer is really No, but a very patient No.

6. CBHScott

CBHScott Electromatic

Feb 13, 2015
    Central OH
    While I’m not quite as advanced as you, OP (56 here :) ), I am getting to that point as well. Over the last 15 or so years, I have had probably 80 - 100 guitars pass through my hands. Many (non-boutique) makes and models, and several variations thereof. While it seems kinda negative to not keep most of those around for very long, it has at least given me the opportunity to play and own a variety of what’s out there, and makes the hobby fun; however, I have FINALLY started to get sick of the churn.

Here is the keeper list that I am shooting for:

* Fender Strat. I currently have a 2018 MIJ ‘50s Strat with a soft V neck that I love. Done.

* Gibson LP Studio Tribute. I recently got a new 2021 model that is flawless, and has a ‘50s rounded neck. Done (unless…).

* Gretsch 6118/6119/6120 of some sort. Not there yet, but I DO have one of the Aspen green 5420Ts that Adorama blew out recently for cheap, and I love it. I may be tempted to grab another 5420T and hot rod it in lieu of a Pro Line; otherwise, the LP may be on the block to help get me to a ProLine.

*Fender Telecaster (maybe). Don’t have one currently, but if I got the itch, I would go for a Vintera ‘50s (dat V neck again…)

*Acoustic. Either a jazzbox, a Taylor, or a Martin. I also played one of the new MIC Guilds going relatively cheap, and it was better than it deserved to be. They also have new cheap acoustic baritones coming out worth a gander.

I have have a Fender H.E.R. Strat which is awesome, but redundant; it will be on the block as well.

Anyway, that would pretty much do it.

JeffreyLeePierre and rebuhrman like this.
  7. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    At the moment, yes. I expect there's a pretty good chance that will change at some point in however much longer I'm here though.

Right now it feels more likely I'd assemble another one for myself (probably more to have another project to work on than to fulfil any need or desire for another one) rather than buying another factory built one, but that could change at any point in the future.

JeffreyLeePierre and rebuhrman like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Hmmmm, nope, not done.

9. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I always say I’m done but I always see something else I want so if I’m honest with myself no I’m never done

6stings, jagROAR_63, Zeek and 7 others like this.
  10. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    I wish.

I’ve learned to wait and buy only when the deal is too good to pass on. Luckily, I’ve been doing this long enough to usually spot a trustworthy dealer with at least a 20% undervalued item. I typically wait for 40% of what I think I can sell it for. Done very well over the last 10 years with that strategy.

I’ve had spells with 1 guitar and times with 10. No need for me to have so many but it does help break up the hard work of practice and learning.

every once in a while you find a piece of gear that takes your playing to places it might never have gone otherwise.

11. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Stick a fork in me---I'm done!

At 71, and in poor health, I've finished buying gear of any sort. I have way more than I needed to begin with. My family will have to sort out what I've got left, so I don't want to leave them in the lurch. I've sold some stuff off, still need to sell off more. Anyone need a pair of Altec A4-500 speaker cabs? Jensens and other Altecs, too. Not going to gig again, so no reason to keep a ton of gear around.

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I’m done adding more guitars......But.....l’m not done buying guitars and sticking with my strict one in one out rule...:D

13. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I've given up on electric--the bends, vibrato, muting strings I don't want to ring out--I will always suck at those things. So, since I want to get better at reading music and, basically, know what I'm doing, I'm taking up piano at the age of 57. Piano comes naturally to me, though learning to play different things with my two different hands is like learning what people call Travis picking again. In time it will click.

14. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I have a Tele and am really happy with it, but I still wish I had a Strat. I like your American Performer, good choice. I may look into a Player Strat, but am really happy with my Tele, so I don’t feel like I am lacking, but I guess I don’t know what I am missing either. Just nostalgic for a Buddy Holly looking strat, not an exact replica or anything. That is one that I might consider adding to my collection.

my other guitars are reasonably priced and decent enough quality for what I need, and dependable. The one student level guitar that I could consider upgrading in my collection is my nylon classical guitar, but I don’t envision pursuing that beyond the student repertoire that a more advanced guitar would be worth that investment. I did install a UST in it which sounds decent enough and have played at a couple of weddings with it, but don’t see myself doing more of that in the future.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Is this a trick question :p

16. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    What kind of crap is this? “Done”? Yeah RIGHT!!! MWWWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

SAguitar, 6stings, dilver and 16 others like this.
  17. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Yes and no. I want to buy sooooooooooo many more guitars, but with a 2 and 4 year old and a job and a house that needs constant repairs, I dont' have time to play the ones I have.
    sigh.

6stings, Stefan87, Marko60 and 7 others like this.
  18. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Right after I find a Coolant Green BSHR...
    Then maybe a Gold Top Lp.. then I’ll be done

19. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Like this...
    263AAF99-8C14-42F1-AC88-9FDBA0AB077A.png
    if the seller looks legit I think this would be a decent guitar to make an offer on:p

20. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I am. I love to have a look on almost any guitar that crosses my path but it’s just because I like them all as a work of art.
    Sometimes I loose myself on the idea of buying something new but in recent times I didn’t have that much money to spend on something that may soon become a case queen (like all my guitars, by the way, as lately I’m trying to learn to play piano and I love it). I’d probably fancy a Duo Jet one day to replace my 5220, but that’s a very long shot as money for instruments is really tight at the moment.
    It’s true that since I stopped touring even the will of keep my guitar tone updated by buying new gear just took a step backward. I’ve never been a bedroom player and I guess it’s too late now to become one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.