Is anyone done buying amps?

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by pmac11, May 29, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    My amp history since the early 80s is get one, play it till it quits working, put it in the closet, and buy another one.
    So
    1981-Used Peavey Artist 240, played the crap out of it till it developed some issues around 93’, into the closet it went.
    1993-Crate USA Vintage Club 2110R
    1995-Old 72’ SF Bassman 50w head, picked up for free, was abandoned at a rehearsal space for a couple of years so I claimed it, loaned to a buddy till it died, then into the closet.
    2010-Found a good local amp tech, fixed up the Bassman and built myself a 1-15” cab. Love it but a little to much to tote to gigs or rehearsal.
    2017-The little Crate quit on me. Mrs. bought me a Carr Rambler, bless her heart.
    2018-Dug out the old Peavey and the Crate and took em to the tech, now good as new.
    Yesterday-ordered an Orange CR35rt, well, just cause I like it. Was gonna get one to replace the Crate back when but the Mrs bought me the Carr. Now they are going for the price of a nice pedal, I couldn’t resist.
    Then there’s the “practice” amps.
    1990-Pignose 20 battery powered. Got it in the hopes of using it for bass on campouts, but it proved to be inadequate. Got myself an upright soon after anyway. Never much liked it with guitar, but I put a new battery in it 3-4 yrs ago.
    2013-Micro Terror & matching cab. Great little amp.
    2019-Micro Cube. Even smaller than the Micro Terror w battery. Got it on sale, impulse buy but glad I did. Super versatile little grab n go, or to sit on desk by the daw.

so I’m like covered up in amps. The Carr is the go to for sure. At home I’m running it wet/dry with the Bassman and it’s epic.
    I still love the little Crate for its simplicity and portability. It’s class A el84 grind is awesome for a vintage blues sound, esp with Tavos El Pescadoro in front. It’s the amp to take to the open blues jam night at the bar. I think it’s gonna pair well with the CR35rt for a small 2 amp rig. Both have 10” speakers, similar power, and British character.
    The only amps I’m not really using are
    the old Pignose, not worth enough to bother selling.
    The Micro Terror, kinda the same deal but too good to give away. Plus it’s a great backup for a gig if the main amp fails.
    The old Peavey. I only got it fixed cause I’m sentimental. Again, not worth a lot so why sell it?

new6659 and pmac11 like this.
  2. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Done? Nooooo!!!

I’m still loving my TM Deluxe Reverb but I bought an awesome Fender Hot Rod Deluxe IV last week!
    Just under a year old & less than half price of a new one!!!

NJDevil and pmac11 like this.
  3. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Yep.

I have no room for loads of amps at home,i currently own 2 amps,a 65 Princeton Reverb reissue (overkill for home use)and an old 1977 Music Man 2x10 HD130 combo ,that's been for sale at my local for what seems like forever,i'm thinking i might bring it home,but where it's going to go i have no idea.

I'm not counting my little Dano Dirty Thirty,it hasn't worked in years anyway,it's currently a door stop.

Although i do have a P bass,so maybe i should get a wee practice bass amp,but again ,where it's going to go i have no idea.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Likely so. The only thing that should be done at some point is re-furbish three of them.

I have

Blackstar ID:core
    Vox AC15C1

Bunch of small practise amps

Vox Pathfinder 10
    Vox VR15
    Vox MV50
    Spark Positive Grid
    Orange Micro Dark
    Fender Rumble 25 for bass

And the 3 that would need refurbished. All from 80s.

2x Vox AC50
    Vox AC125

Don't really need anything else. But that is a dangerous thing to say as something will pop up as soon as you say that :D

Last edited: May 29, 2021
    pmac11 likes this.
  5. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Synchromatic

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    Not done. Not actively looking for an amp currently, but will likely own at least one or two more.

pmac11 likes this.
  6. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    finally set, JCM 800 & Triple Recto. Even ditched a bunch of guitars..playing up..way up... Was way worth the hunt tho, learned a lot about matching the whole signal chain for task at hand & in the end..sound like me pretty much on all of em & thats ok.

pmac11 likes this.
  7. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    You also loaded up on Mesa Boogie a while back, didn't you?

BFTmarshall likes this.
  8. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    Still got a bunch of em, just as we put the band together & getting more serious by the practice. Always was simple.. 3 guitars for live use in dif turnings for the songs & an amp that i have clean-mild crunch-crunch & lead pop.
    This forced down time with the accident turned me into gear finder for more of something to do. Was never housebound in life before..the gear did help tho. Honestly gotta say they all were good..love the Silverface Fenders..the Orange..Peavey, just had to settle down now & focus

9. BFTmarshall

BFTmarshall Synchromatic

Jan 12, 2020
    York
    here is what i kept in practice room, Left & Right sides
    21 Right.jpg 21 left.jpg

G DynaTron and new6659 like this.
  10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Not eve!

pmac11 likes this.
  11. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I am nearly done, at least I’m more certain about that than for guitars.

I still want to try building one. I am thinking about buying a new multi-effects/modelling pedal. I could be tempted to buy a Quilter Steelaire or a Custom Vibroverb, I wish Fender would bring that back.

pmac11 likes this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Very happy with what I have but still looking for the perfect amp, which is more or less the amp I have less 10lbs.

new6659 and pmac11 like this.
  13. manunk

manunk Gretschie

Done. Fender Champion 100, Vox VT20 and Roland KC110 keyboard amp all serve me very well.

pmac11 likes this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm done - have no plans to buy anymore, have no gas and hope it never returns :D

I have a Mesa Mark V 25, Mesa TA-15, a Vox MC50 AC, Roland Cube 60 and Roland Street Cube.
    I have a 2 x 12 cab with V30's, a 1 x 12 cab with Celestion Creamback.
    All this can be either attenuated, or amped up to 50w, with a Fryette Power Station - plus it provides a series loop.

It can also be transported, and set up, with ease by either mic'ing cabs or going direct to PA.

This list provides a few 100 fantastic tube driven tones from clean clean thru crunch, OD to high gain distortion. It also delivers 1w to 50w at any volume level in many different tone flavours, including Vox AC, Fender Tweed, Marshall JCM and Mesa Boogie. In doing so it greatly reduces my need for pedals so I save money, weight and convenience there too.

Add on reverb and I don't think it's possible to get more versatility at A+++ quality, plus light weight and convenience with any other collection of 5 amps. That's why I have no desire for anything more :eek:

NJDevil and pmac11 like this.
  15. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I have one gigging amp - a blues jr iii - the tweed. Before then I had a fender champion 100 for about 6 months. Before then a fender m80 - the best amp I ever owned. I love the blues jr.

I’ve been trying to use a sansamp but I get resistance from my duo partner for reasons I don’t understand - it mixes nicely through the pa and sounds terrific. His pa has recently decided not to work with it.

in an ideal world I would love a fender twin.

but I think that I’d rather have a great modeller into a pa.

I don’t like too much choice. One gigging amp is enough - have a gig? Throw the amp in the back. Not ‘should I take the Marshall or the Vox or the fender.

I have Two teles, one gretsch and an acoustic. I have five mandolins. But that doesn’t seem to crush me with decisions. They’re all different but I usually know. (One is a solid body). If I had 10 guitars I’d probably take 8 just in case and worry about not bringing the other two.

so am I done buying amps? Probably. Provided the blues jr keeps working.

Trash Kidd, new6659 and pmac11 like this.
  16. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    How do you like the Roland? Is it one of the orange ones?

17. I thought I was done , then Yamaha came out with the THR10c , had to have it . I thought I was done , then they came out with the THR20 , it's got blue tooth , had to have it .I again thought I was done with buying amps , but wait for it . MFSDOTD had a little Blackstar amp , had a dam sugar skull on a red grill cloth . How could I not get it ? Had to have it !

pmac11 likes this.
  18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    This.

I wanted a Soldano. I put one on layaway once. I wound up with the 6505+, but always felt like I wanted others - not because the 6505+ was lacking, but because I'm a gear whore. I've drooled over plenty of amps, bought and sold a few along the way, but the 6505+ was always the heart of my rig. Now I have the Axe FX III and it NAILS the sound and feel of my rig. If I ever really need the half stack for a gig, I've got it, it'll never go away, but I as good as the Fractal sounds through a pair of wedges, I can't see needing anything else. There's just short of 300 amps in there, and thousands of IRs - hundreds of cabs and speakers through dozens of mics in a variety of positions, and all of it can be tweaked. Just about anything I could dream of, this box will do and do well. The more I play with it, the deeper I dig, the more impressive I find it to be. There is no latency unless you get into some really excessive pitch shifting, and recording processed & DI tracks and reamping are a breeze. I've yet to try it in a live setting, but I have no doubt at this point that I'd be happy with it.

It took twenty years of development for modelling to become a truly viable and user friendly technology, but the hardware and software capabilities at this stage of the game have made it feasible. So....yeah, I'm done buying amps.

Edit:
    Okay....the Fractal doesn't have a sugar skull. I'm a little jelly right now.

-m

dlew919 and pmac11 like this.
  19. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No this one
    Still one of the best SS amps around imo.

It doesn't get much use now - bought it 15 yrs ago as a home practice amp, clean pedal platform and emergency back-up for gigs. I mainly use it now for amplifying acoustic guitar - they were always good for that. And Roland Cube Street is also very good for acoustic guitar.

They're real cheap on the used market and I'd rather keep this than pay out big $$ for a Fender TM which would provide nothing better for me :)

[​IMG]

NJDevil, G DynaTron and pmac11 like this.
  20. bhatta

bhatta Gretschie

Jun 29, 2020
    Bangalore
    Is anyone ever...
    Shouldn't have let Blues jr go...

I found a Vox NT15 , got good reviews here.. but that was a dummy, wasn't available but listed... Happens in my country :mad:

Now hunting and narrowed it down to Blackstar Studio10 EL34 or Origin 20H
    I love the EL34 tones...

Since I cannot try before buying and most reviews in YT are loud and super hi gain am always confused.
    I play 'verge of breakup' tones ...

Let's see...

Last edited: May 30, 2021
    pmac11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.