Is a White Falcon 'worth' it? Trying to buy my first Gretsch ever (and basically first premium gear)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Genocide, May 29, 2021.

1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Yes. The White Falcon is worth it. There's a reason its the flagship for the company. Its just... so so so perfect. The next would be a G6120.

Duo Slinger and MKunie like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    No Falcon here, but if the comparison of one to a "standard" 6120 is anything like a Penguin vs. a Pro-line Duo Jet I'd say maybe?

I feel like my 6134T-CDG is a step above my 6128T in feel & function to me, zero regrets on the ~$700 higher price I paid for my used Penguin vs. my NOS 6128T. Similarly my used 6119-1962HT has certainly seemed worth the additional ~$600 vs. the new 5420-CDG (although those are more significantly different models than the Penguin vs. the Duo Jet).

As usual everyone's mileage may vary of course.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
  3. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I say get it! They are worth every penny and the quality is the best! There are so many things that make it better. I see you have so many replies. So I dont need to say anything else, But you will NOT Regret getting one!

Electrosynthesis likes this.
  4. Wavey

Wavey Gretschie

Dec 31, 2016
    NorCal
    First off, I agree with all those who said to try one (or more) to see if it's right for you as they are big, though that doesn't seem to bother Steve Stills who is not all that tall and has played one for many years, and it doesn't bother me either (I am 5'8" and BTW can *not* play like Stills).

If you're going to get a used WF you'll want to make sure of the model as there are several variations (including tone switch vs. tone pot circuitry, finishes, pickups...). My 6136 WF is a 1996 Fred Gretsch Enterprises WF which I bought new in 1996 some years before the collaboration with Fender. The FGE Gretsches were made a little differently than the later (i.e. current) Fender collaboration era models, and it has been said the later models are better sounding and more true to the originals with 3 ply tops and AlNiCo magnet pickups and more correct shape, as opposed to the 5 ply tops, ceramic magnet pickups, and flatter upper bout shape in the FGE models. Having said that, I play my FGE 6136 frequently and I won't part with it.

Just for the sake of discussion there are also double cutaway WF models. I bought one of these (used) some years ago, a later (Fender era) 7594 model with the thinner body and it really is a dream guitar. It has the large 17" lower bout and smaller F holes, but I can easily reach *all* the frets on the 7594, which I cannot do on the 6136. I really think the 7594 (or the 6136 DC - if you can find one) can do it all.

IMG_0955.JPG

new6659 and Gold Penguin like this.
  5. Gold Penguin

Gold Penguin Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Long Island, New York
    Now that is a beautiful guitar! Just outstanding!!!!

Archtops, new6659 and oneforsorrow like this.
  6. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Thanks for the kind compliment.

Gold Penguin likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A Falcon is just too blingy for my tastes. I wouldn't say no to a Country Club, tho.
    That's why they make a variety of guitars. There'll be one that suits you.

9. afire

afire Country Gent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They both tell the time and look kind of alike. But they're not the same.
    Go for the Falcon. Back on page 1, somebody brought up how the principle of diminishing returns applies to most high-end goods. But there's nothing wrong with enjoying luxury for luxury's sake, and guitars don't get a whole lot more luxurious than a Falcon. If you can swing it without shooting yourself in the wallet, you'll never look back.

10. Electrosynthesis

Electrosynthesis Gretschie

May 11, 2011
    São Paulo
    Hear, hear! :p

11. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Gen,

Don't confuse ''cost'' with ''value''

Value remains, long after initial cost or cost shock has passed.

When you decide, show us some photos.

Good luck with your prospective purchase.

BIB.

G5422T likes this.
  12. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I haven't tried a White Falcon. I was in a similar boat though, I mostly had cheap guitars my whole life. I got a 5420 last year, my first guitar of that caliber. With some pickup swapping I've been extremely happy with it. The build quality and feel are excellent, the sound is excellent.

I don't doubt that a pro-line Gretsch is even better, but the Electromatics are really nice guitars too.

13. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I'd say it's definitely worth it to move up to the proline gear, but wouldn't necessarily recommend a Falcon without also considering a Nashville or an Anniversary. They're all excellent guitars, and none of them will disappoint.

First off, they're all big guitars. To me, there's no functional difference between the 16" and 17" bodies, and I'm comfortable with both scale lengths. So size isn't the issue. But the Falcon's excess bling ... the sparkle binding down the neck - I dunno, I find it really, really distracting when I'm actually playing it. I've had many an opportunity to buy one, and just keep walking away. It's a shame, because otherwise they're just gorgeous guitars, especially with the cadillac tailpieces.

To the OP, you mention you can't find these in your area, so I'm assuming you're considering an online purchase? Just me, but it's one thing to buy a $500 guitar online, another to drop 4K on one. If you can manage to get to someplace that has them in stock, it'd be a good move. Might even be worth some real travel time - a special "guitar vacation" - airline tickets and hotels.

Look at it this way: How long have you waited to do this? And how many times will you get to do it again? Why not really do it up right?

Good luck with it, we'll want pics of whatever you get! And Welcome to the Forum!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.