Introducing the Historic Series Model X archtop

Wayne Gretschzky

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 27, 2008
East Coast
Seriously... it says "Model: X archtop OR" on the label! This is one of the many prototypes that sold at the Julien's auction last month. I'm thrilled with this guitar, as it was a bit of a roll of the dice for me, and I don't really know anything about the Gretsch Historic Series. This is a guitar they should have released... it's really cool. It's over 20 years old and still has the plastic on the pickups! I'll probably be removing the guard once I get it set up and running.

Model X.png

tartanphantom

Friend of Fred
Jul 30, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
Congrats. With those stock Gretschbuckers, I think you'll find the tone to be quite Gibson Byrdland-ish. Gretschbuckers sound fairly dark in a full-hollowbody. Plus, the dark tone is emphasized by .047 tone caps. I've never figured out why Gretsch insisted on using that cap value with Gretschbuckers.

Still, the Historic models are fine builds overall, and the prototype pedigree makes this one unique bird.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Gorgeous! There's nothing about that guitar that I don't like.
Historics are seriously underrated, and great bang for the buck.
My 3140 is an '03. It's my favorite guitar.
Everything sounds better with Cat's Eyes.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
I just love those cat eyes. The position looks slightly different than other Historic series cat eyes to me for some reason. Beautiful, thanks for posting.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Silver Member
Feb 13, 2012
France
They say that Historic Series are one of the best bang for the buck.

Unfortunately, LH models are very few and scarce to find... :(

I saw one G3156LH on LeBonCoin (a French Craiglist equivalent) many years ago...

upload_2021-4-27_12-46-20.png

... In Black and Gold : just what I dislike ! Moreover, the price was 900 Euros, making her not very attractive to me.:confused:

A+!

JeffreyLeePierre

Country Gent
Unfortunately, LH models are very few and scarce to find... :(

I saw one G3156LH on LeBonCoin (a French Craiglist equivalent) many years ago...

View attachment 161303

... In Black and Gold : just what I dislike ! Moreover, the price was 900 Euros, making her not very attractive to me.:confused:

A+!
Paid €590 for my G3140 with gig bag, also including new strings and set up. Great deal in my opinion.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Apparently a model X was mentioned on the forum before.
https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/model-x-prototype-gretsch-guitar.34972/#post-232198

And this one looks related to the one from OP.
https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/historical-series.208350/

upload_2020-10-29_10-44-43-jpeg.148978

Last edited: