Interview with Poison Ivy

JeffreyLeePierre

Country Gent
That's a great record! A Date With Elvis on steroids. I like it better than the original!
I listened to A Date With Elvis a few days ago, that’s a great album. I'll have to listen again RockinNReelin... I have not played it for years. When I want to hear The Cramps live, I usually pick Smell Of Female.

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA
At least we have one Poison Ivy guitar instrumental in Peter Gunn. I wish we had more instrumentals from her, but she doesn’t seem to be in a place to satisfy our Gretsch-lust.

Yes, I know this video footage and the music don’t match up here, but Ivy is shown in her “office” taking care of business. Long live the Queen.

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I wonder if her recording amp is mentioned? I know she used a Fender Pro live. She described her studio amp as a 50s white valco amp with a 10" speaker. I spent ages doing detective work and reckon it was an Oahu Tremoverb from the 60s... It fits the bill. Plus it seems to be tucked away in the background in a home photo
I'm a big fan of that sound

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I wonder if her recording amp is mentioned? I know she used a Fender Pro live. She described her studio amp as a 50s white valco amp with a 10" speaker. I spent ages doing detective work and reckon it was an Oahu Tremoverb from the 60s... It fits the bill. Plus it seems to be tucked away in the background in a home photo
I'm a big fan of that sound
You’re not the only one!
She says it has reverb and tremolo so that should narrow it down. It’s hard to find a valco amp with both that also has a 10” speaker. An old supro tremoverb maybe? But that was a 60’s amp, and she says her amp was a 50’s model. Maybe she was mistaken?
The mysteries never cease!

repete

Jul 4, 2022
w mass

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
I did!
Saw quite a few here in the UK.. The first time being At The Venue in Victoria, London, on Halloween 1980 with Bryan Gregory. The next was at Hammersmith Palais in 1981 with Kid Congo on guitar. Support came from The Meteors, Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages & Red Beat. Was billed as a night of Horror rock.. Fantastic show. I then saw them with various line ups every time they came to the UK.. The 1984 line up with Ike Knox on guitar was the last great live line up IMO… The best shows for me were the Bryan Gregory/Kid Congo line ups… Saying that The Cramps never failed to disappoint with any line up… Happy days..I really miss this band.
Wow you also saw the Meteors in 1981? Holy moly, that must have been a Blast too!
Nowadays i wouldn't bother anymore to see the meteors live

Trash Kidd

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2015
London U.K.
Wow you also saw the Meteors in 1981? Holy moly, that must have been a Blast too!
Nowadays i wouldn't bother anymore to see the meteors live
The Meteors were brilliant back in the early 80s!!!
I saw them lots of times back then.. Very exciting live band..
I kind of lost interest when Nigel Lewis left & at the time he was making better music with The Tall Boys etc…
I’ve not seen The Meteors live for many years now but I did buy their last album & I like it a lot..

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
The Meteors were brilliant back in the early 80s!!!
I saw them lots of times back then.. Very exciting live band..
I kind of lost interest when Nigel Lewis left & at the time he was making better music with The Tall Boys etc…
I’ve not seen The Meteors live for many years now but I did buy their last album & I like it a lot..
I honestly think the last 4 Meteors Albums were just awful .... last one i liked was doing the lords work....

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I never 'got' the Meteors. Marks book is great though, reminds me of that time and the bands emerging. I did like Demented Are Go. And King Kurt of course