Installing HS Filtertrons in G3156

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Ronald91, Oct 12, 2021 at 8:29 AM.

1. Ronald91

Ronald91 Electromatic

Tuesday
    Netherlands
    Hello everyone,

For a while I'v been searching the internet for some instructions or photo's of installing HS Filtertron pickups into a Gretsch G3156.
    Unfortunately, I cannot find any topics for this.

I want to change the DeArmond 2000's pickups for Filtertrons.
    Are there any adapters available to install Filtertrons on DeArmond mounting holes?

I prefer not to modify the guitar.
    I know TV jones sells there pickups in a DeArmond, but i prefer HS Filtertrons and they are a lot cheaper.

Pic for reference:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 8:37 AM
  2. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I may be wrong but to install filtertrons in place of the DeArmonds you will probably have to cut larger holes in the top. Also there needs to be parallel bracing for them to screw on to.
    Welcome anyhow!!

ZackyDog likes this.
  3. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    I suspect Filtertrons will not be surface-mountable like Dynasonics are. They're too deep because of the two side-by-side coils with a fat magnet centered between the two coils on the bottom. That probably means you're going to have to route the hole out for them. On top of that, filtertrons are taller than dynasonics. I've never seen a surface mounted Filtertron, and I suspect they don't exist, but I'd be glad to be wrong.

On a totally personal note, I personally feel that changing from Dynasonics to Filtertrons would be a downgrade. Dynasonic's clarity and chime just can't be found in anything else, imho.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021 at 8:19 PM
    mister rain and Groutsch like this.
  4. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I just so happen to own a modded 3156 Historic. I went with TV Jones Classic/Classic Plus. They will sell you pickups built for Dyna sized holes.

RenderedI.jpg

Marv666 and new6659 like this.
  5. Ronald91

Ronald91 Electromatic

Tuesday
    Netherlands
    Thank you all for the warm welcome!
    I appreciate the opinions on the pickup change.

The reason I was thinking about changing them, is that I'm after that chimey, sparkly, cutting trough the mix sound of the Filtertrons.
    I'm playing mostly in church and those DeArmond are a little noisy as well.

But with all the comments on this topic and the one I made in the 'Pickups' section, I think.
    I will copy this message and paste it there

This is an example of the sound (riff at timestamp 0:41) I am looking for:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021 at 4:26 AM
  6. Hickeroar

Hickeroar Gretschie

Oct 4, 2020
    Texas
    In that video, I think the main thing giving him that tone is the pedal/amp chain. There's no reason you couldn't get something practically identical out of several different types of pickups.

Would buying a used 5000-series gretsch with blacktop filtertrons be out of the question and/or budget? Something like a G5230T or something like that? That way you could choose the guitar you want to play based on the set you were playing.

Both filtertrons and dynasonics are going to deliver "chimey, sparkly, cutting trough the mix sound," and arguably the dynasonics are going to deliver it better (and a little noisier as you pointed out). Alternatively you could invest in a noise gate pedal if 60 (50?) cycle hum is your main concern.

I personally have a Filtertron guitar, and a Dynasonic guitar, and I wouldn't want to be in a position where I had to choose to just keep one or the other.

7. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    I have owned over the years four of the cats eye Historic and modified two with TV Jones Classic Filters. I would not change out the DeArmond 2000 and do it again. If you really want to go Filters without messing up your G3156 order the TV Jones filters in a Dyna mount. Best idea is get another guitar that has filters or humbuckers

That being said the USA DeArmonds that came on the Historics are awesome pickups. The sound you say your looking for in the video is in reality effects pedals. It can duplicated with just about any electric guitar easily with the G3156 as she sets. No Kidding :)

Best of luck and welcome to the forum

Ronald91 and Hickeroar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.