Installing a Charlie Christian pickup in a Gretsch?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by DaveyB, Nov 28, 2017.

1. DaveyB

DaveyB Electromatic

Jul 12, 2014
    London, UK
    Hi folks,
    Has anyone ever come across an example of a Charlie Christian pickup installed in a Gretsch archtop?
    I've a Dynasonic-equipped 6120 and am toying with the idea of a Charlie Christian pickup at the neck - just wonder if it's possible and whether anyone has previously attempted such a mod.

2. afire

afire Country Gent

Of course, that's also a 78 year old solid carved spruce 18" guitar it's installed in, but it is a CC pickup in an archtop Gretsch.

3. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    Well, the original CC pickup was a big honking thing that fit on the most of the top plate of the guitar. I really like the sound of it, but if you look at the top of CC, Barney Kessel, and Oscar Moore guitars, you will three broadly spaced screws between the the pickup and the bridge.

If you could find one, you would need to remove and replace the top plate to install it.

There are some modern replacements for this. You can look them up.

I think that the Gretsch Supertron might get what you want. Try that.

Lee

4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A Charlie Christian would be far better than a PAF.

5. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I dunno, this guy's been rockin' it for a while:

[​IMG]
    And didn't Chris Cheneys' green annie have an SD pickup? I love stirring the pot!!!

6. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I recon you wouldn't get a massive difference in sound. The CC is a bit like a P90, which is a bit like a Dyna.

7. russmack

russmack Country Gent

May 1, 2017
    ballina australia
    Absolutely!

Russ

8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    In the words of TK Smith regarding his charlie christian pkup "
    CCll blade pickup has a big even woody tone. Well balanced for most guitars.

Low-mids are accentuated and top end is naturally compressed giving it a slightly rolled off but clear voice.

This CCll is responsive, musical and dynamic at low volumes for jazz, western swing and vintage jazz and yet truly excels harmonically when pushed with harder picking dynamics or driving an amp into greasy overdrive.

Maintains note definition in all applications. Vintage correct voicing and an integral support for old Jazz, Jump Blues, Vintage Blues, Rockabilly or Western Swing music.
    "
    I had CC pickups in the Jet I put together.
    [​IMG]

drmilktruck and ruger9 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.