Install Licensed Bigsby B60 on G2420

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by NewbieBob, Feb 24, 2021.

1. NewbieBob

NewbieBob Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    New York City
    I got a beautiful Brooklyn Burst G2420 for Christmas and I'm absolutely loving it. I stayed away from the T version with the licensed B60 Bigsby because of the 'numerous enough' comments about tuning issues. But now I'm rethinking and wondering how much of a task it is to retrofit the B60 on to the guitar.
    Does it require drilling? It looks like the bottom screw hole of the existing bridge might be exposed because the hinge piece that screws into the side of the guitar is longer that the B60.
    Thoughts?

David_GS likes this.
  2. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Congrats on the new guitar.

I’m wondering if it’s too late to return it and/or exchange it for a T version?

3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'm w/ the return/exchange as the best option too if it's still available.

That being said, I'm guessing worst case scenario you may be looking at drilling new holes for the B60 hinge (usually you can center them up on the holes for the existing tailpiece) & either filling the originals or just leaving them as is (probably the route I'd go since I rarely wind up seeing the end of my guitars & any risk of leaving them is fairly negligible in most cases).

4. NewbieBob

NewbieBob Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    New York City
    Returning is not an option at this stage. Besides, I love the color. It's a really beautiful guitar.
    So, once you drill and screw the tailpiece down, does the rest of the B60 just stay down by the string pressure? Nothing else to do?

5. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Yup, just need to make sure the tailpiece is in good alignment w/ the bridge/nut slots before drilling the holes.

6. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    Yes. If you remove the strings and tilt the guitar forward, the B60 turns into a free-swingin' threat to everything around it.

You will need to make sure it sits flat to the top before mounting the far left and right screws, as they may end up being slightly off kilter to have it lay flat, depending on the curvature of the top.

7. NewbieBob

NewbieBob Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    New York City
    Sounds like it shouldn't be that expensive, about an hour, to have a quality guitar tech do the work.
    Thanks for the guidance guys.

8. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes, you'll have to drill a few small holes to fit the B60, not a big deal if you're careful and precise.

Then the Bigsby has a felt pad on the bottom where it rests on the guitar top.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I've never tried a B60 or B30 (licensed), but some prefer the B6 and B3 (Bigsby made). I prefer the V-cut aesthetically which is only available for the B6 and B3. I believe the main and perhaps only real difference are the bushings in the roller.

10. mrcoffee23

mrcoffee23 Gretschie

Sep 23, 2009
    Virginia, USA
    I did try a B3 on my 5448 and discovered that the Bigsby wouldn't sit properly on top given the curvature of the body. I ended up installing a B7 because I was able to get a better flat fit across the top.
    May be an import Jet issue, but the top on mine was not radiused for a B3.

11. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I have two 2420s that originally didn’t come with bigsbys and I installed them. I got them that way on purpose because I planned to put pro bigsbys on them anyway so might as well save a couple bucks on the guitar. Super easy replacement. I had to redrill mine and the bigsby did cover the holes.
    upload_2021-2-24_18-10-4.jpeg
    this is one of my 2420s. It was a Brooklyn burst now it’s a hellburst!

MrWookiee, new6659 and calebaaron666 like this.
  12. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I feel like if you’re going through the trouble though it might be better to invest a few extra dollars and get a v cut it pat pend b6 rather than a licensed? They’re only like 20 dollars more. They have a longer hinge piece too

13. NewbieBob

NewbieBob Electromatic

Jul 18, 2020
    New York City
    Lockup . . . Which model Bigsby did you install on your 2420? Is it just called a Pro Bigsby or does it have a model #?
    BTW, not for nuthin', but you're a wild man with that paint job : )

Lockupyourfatdog likes this.
  14. Lockupyourfatdog

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    That one is a b6c but the black center was sanded out and the handle was replaced with a Duane Eddie handle. Also a highly recommended mod. I recently sold this one.....
    upload_2021-2-24_20-23-8.jpeg
    it was a 2420 with out a bigsby also. I put a Gretsch bigsby b6 on it.
    Tuning won’t be an issue if you stretch the strings property and tie them off at the tuning peg. The less rotation around the peg the better.

ALS57 and new6659 like this.
  15. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    I retro fitted a bigsby with no issues. If it's any help... other great mods were kluson tuners and a zero fret with no tuning issues. Huge improvements were Fletcher filtertrons and the excellent DB guitars bridge which transformed my 2420 to another level. IMG_20210228_084836.jpg IMG_20210228_085054.jpg IMG_20210228_085101.jpg IMG_20210228_085132.jpg

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    new6659 and calebaaron666 like this.
  16. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It's slightly harder than changing strings to put a B6 on that guitar, added about 15 minutes to a string change when i put one on my uncle's 2420.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.