Input jack

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam
A 'This could happen to you' moment... A reminder to check the input jack from time to time. Not my Gretsch, thankfully.
pxl_20220729_233327866-jpg.187124

Attachments

• PXL_20220729_233327866.jpg
    PXL_20220729_233327866.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
@BobYoshi , thanks for the reminder . I know your new here but I'm surprised by my friend @audept and @Randy99CL that I wasn't summoned to this thread :p
I've been saying this for years .... " every guitar should come with a case and a jack plate ! " :mad:....well , maybe not an SG , that would look silly . I mean , what would it really cost the guitar companies ?? A simple little thing like that ?? and a case ...just add it to it ! And never mind a cross-reference guide to guitar cases
UGH ! ..... ok , rant over . Thanks for letting me vent , I feel better now 🤣

Falconetti

Gretschie
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
@BobYoshi , thanks for the reminder . I know your new here but I'm surprised by my friend @audept and @Randy99CL that I wasn't summoned to this thread :p
I've been saying this for years .... " every guitar should come with a case and a jack plate ! " :mad:....well , maybe not an SG , that would look silly . I mean , what would it really cost the guitar companies ?? A simple little thing like that ?? and a case ...just add it to it ! And never mind a cross-reference guide to guitar cases
UGH ! ..... ok , rant over . Thanks for letting me vent , I feel better now 🤣
0BA40B38-9C58-4889-9E24-E6E013E764F0.jpeg
Just for you….. i was listening to one of your previous rants and acted upon it.

Attachments

• 7368F0C9-10B9-466F-82AC-6C5653D48308.jpeg
    7368F0C9-10B9-466F-82AC-6C5653D48308.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 0

mbkri

Country Gent
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
A 'This could happen to you' moment... A reminder to check the input jack from time to time. Not my Gretsch, thankfully.
pxl_20220729_233327866-jpg.187124
Forgive me, it’s early and my brain isn’t working properly yet. What am I seeing? Is it that the nut has loosened, fallen off and the jack socket disappeared into the guitar body? That’s what it looks like to me. I, too, am a big fan of the jackplate and have put them on all my guitars….. but if it’s a loose nut and jack socket gone inside issue then a plate wouldn’t have stopped that happening. Just regular checking that the nut is still tight As @BobYoshi suggests. But maybe I’m not thinking straight.

Wood Hollow

Electromatic
Apr 20, 2022
Indiana
^^^Exactly what I was thinking. With regard to jack plates, is there a preferred shape (square, football)? Source? @audept what model is that you pictured?! It’s beautiful!

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Forgive me, it’s early and my brain isn’t working properly yet. What am I seeing? Is it that the nut has loosened, fallen off and the jack socket disappeared into the guitar body? That’s what it looks like to me. I, too, am a big fan of the jackplate and have put them on all my guitars….. but if it’s a loose nut and jack socket gone inside issue then a plate wouldn’t have stopped that happening. Just regular checking that the nut is still tight As @BobYoshi suggests. But maybe I’m not thinking straight.
You're not wrong. The pic shows that the nut came off and the jack fell inside the body. Plate would not have helped.

I first mentioned the Jack Plate by saying it is a good time to install one.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
^^^Exactly what I was thinking. With regard to jack plates, is there a preferred shape (square, football)? Source? @audept what model is that you pictured?! It’s beautiful!
It is totally up to you but I like the square LP style on the thick bodies (like my G5129 above) and the football sized for the thinner G2622 type.
I love these, super high quality. They sell on reverb and ebay.
TCS jackplates.JPG

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Most players go their whole lives without dropping a guitar, as far as I know.
But if the strap comes loose and it hits the floor right on the plug the damage is going to cost a lot more than the $8 for a plate. Just bumping the plug can crack the wood. I've seen SGs with cracks around the jack and the top is much thicker than the sides of our guitars.

It is just insurance, and I relax knowing I don't have to keep checking the strap. I am a worrier about things like that.
And I think they add a finished look to the guitar. A bare output jack sticking from the wood doesn't look right to me.
8160-b346963c504d601d65cc2eba80c80c7c.jpg
IMG_2870_zpsjubdlg6c.jpg
But if you don't want them that's OK with me. I don't care either way.

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam

BobYoshi

Electromatic
Aug 4, 2022
Port Coquitlam
Good day to you. You are correct. That's exactly what you're seeing. It's the hole where the output* (sorry) jack used to be. It was a hollow chambered Gretch that was selling on FB marketplace. "Like new" it said lol. Went to check it out and the seller had bought it second hand from 'a buddy' I shook the guitar and the I could hear the jack socket rattling around in the chamber. To his credit, the seller took down the posting.

Last edited:

Wood Hollow

Electromatic
Apr 20, 2022
Indiana
Most players go their whole lives without dropping a guitar, as far as I know.
But if the strap comes loose and it hits the floor right on the plug the damage is going to cost a lot more than the $8 for a plate. Just bumping the plug can crack the wood. I've seen SGs with cracks around the jack and the top is much thicker than the sides of our guitars.

It is just insurance, and I relax knowing I don't have to keep checking the strap. I am a worrier about things like that.
And I think they add a finished look to the guitar. A bare output jack sticking from the wood doesn't look right to me.
View attachment 187213
View attachment 187214
But if you don't want them that's OK with me. I don't care either way.
Anyone remember (you have to be older!) being shown the driver’s ed movie, “Signal 30” in high school? It was a scare tactic to convince young drivers to drive safely. The above warnings and pictures had the same effect on me! I had to look through several tackle boxes, but found a jack plate long orphaned from some previous project. It literally took only 5 minutes to install it. I already have a set of strap locks en route from Arkansas Musicworks (love this place) on Reverb, so together I’ll worry a lot less!

Attachments

• 9BE5C930-E0EA-4881-BCC6-61E1FDEA51DD.jpeg
    9BE5C930-E0EA-4881-BCC6-61E1FDEA51DD.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 6