Inland Northwest Jam (Rut buster group)

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by NWAttorney, May 18, 2011.

1. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Spike Strider, The Undecided One and myself will be starting up the garage band effort once again to bust out of the practicing rut.

Our play list was narrowed down to:

Already Gone (Eagles)
    James Dean (Eagles)
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)
    Hold on Loosely (38 Special)
    Sweet Home Alabama (Lynyrd Skynyrd)
    That Thing You Do (The Wonders)
    I love Rock ‘N Roll (Joan Jett)
    Taking Care of Business (BTO)
    Secret Agent Man (Johnny Rivers)

The Three that made the cut for what we first work on are:

James Dean
    Hold on Loosely
    That Thing You Do

One of us will keep you posted on how we do. Hopefully this will bust us clean out of the rut and launch us into a new stratosphere...with momentum!

2. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    I can't believe how on-fire this thread is!

3. Jukebox

Jukebox Gretschified

Jun 2, 2008
    Foreston,MN
    sounds like you guys are going to have a goood time, I wished I lived closer!

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I'd love to do most of those songs. I've always wanted to do Eagles material with the right voicings, harmonies, etc.

5. unbridled

unbridled Country Gent

Aug 20, 2008
    Montana
    Sounds like fun! I love the Eagles songs we do in our group. Where ya at in Idaho? I'll come listen to ya.

6. Jack Knife

Jack Knife Synchromatic

Mar 15, 2009
    Magdalena, NM, US
    I'd come see you guys play this stuff :D

7. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    We're starting with the easiest of them all: "That thing you do".

The "as played" sheet music for some of the others is quite daunting. Maybe this will go from "rut busting" to just getting out of the car and walking.:eek:

8. Spike Strider

Spike Strider Gretschie

Dec 28, 2009
    N Idaho
    NW has thrown down the guantlet on this one.. He wants us to play it verbatium. I've never tried to learn any song excatly so it will be an interesting ride for me... I'm happy if I can just get through a rendition that has a fleeting resemblence to the song... :)

9. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Like in the movie "Pirates of the Caribbean", "as played" is more of a guideline really. But I hope it works. "That Thing you Do" will be a piece of cake.

James Dean and Hold on Loosely will NOT be a piece of cake. I'm glad Spike is playing lead on those :).

By the way, I am firmly OUT of the rut now. This is fun.

10. Spike Strider

Spike Strider Gretschie

Dec 28, 2009
    N Idaho
    Actually the TAB/Music combo is easier than the pure TAB. I've been studying, but haven't been able to pick up the guitar due to my shoulder being out of whack. I'm hoping to be able to play this week, but last night it was still too painful to play...

11. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Spike,

We don't have to do this considering your shoulder. The Undecided One and I have been practicing, and it has definitely lifted me out of my rut. If your shoulder hurts, DON'T play and aggravate it. We can do this months from now just as easily.

Besides, you're going to have to tackle all the shredding on "James Dean". Your shoulder better be in pristine condition for that one!

12. Spike Strider

Spike Strider Gretschie

Dec 28, 2009
    N Idaho
    not touching the guitar at all right now, just studying and getting the Tab under my belt...

Driving me nuits.. Banging on my guitar is stress relief/therapy...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.