Inexpensive Tubing To Reinstall Potentiometers

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by ZackyDog, Sep 11, 2020.

1. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    You know; for when you swap pickups.

I got this at Home Depot for $3.41 USD. I wish I had used this over the years instead of my "inventions".:eek:

tubing.png

Here

2. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Aquarium tubing, fuel line tubing, anything with the right inside diameter... as for the "inventions" over the years; I can empathize! Most recently have had to make tools and jigs to rebuild a 1958 motorcycle. Seems like more time spent doing that than actually fixing the bike!

3. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ
    What kind of bike? I used to have a 1958 Ariel Cyclone and restored many others over the years.

I belonged to the Montreal chapter of the Canadian Vintage Motorcycle Group for years when I lived in Northern Vermont ,near the border.

4. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Good tubing. A Gretsch owner's best friend for benchwork projects.

mrfixitmi and ZackyDog like this.
  5. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    1958 Triumph TRW. Picked it up on the subcontinent for a song when I was working there. Still finding out what the mechanics there did to make it run. Wiring and the 6v charging (or more accurately "lack of") system was probably the biggest puzzle. But there are enough substitutions mechanically as well....

Oh, and Whitworth :mad:

wabash slim and Winnie Thomas like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    A handy little tool as seen on T.V. ............. I mean on some of the T.V. Jones videos . Next time you take a ride to " that " home depot give me a shout ...I'm about 30 / 40 minutes away . We'll do lunch :)

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Con gusto :)

thunder58 likes this.
  8. Winnie Thomas

Winnie Thomas Gretschie

Jun 13, 2011
    Cochise AZ

They were blown out in ther early 70's as Canadian Military syrplus. I always thought they were a neat bike. They had an AC generator and battery and coil ignition as I remember instead of DC and a Magneto.

After many many years I sold my last bike.

I have a large collection of Whitworth tools.

9. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Enjoy your meal!

I also bought a few meters of tube at a usual store ... I couldn't see why I should spend more, I was there anyway ... looks pretty identical, it's some kind of silicone tube with I think 5 mm inner diameter, so it can be put around a 6.X mm shaft and is able to hold it, but can be removed without tearing the pot apart.

ZackyDog and mrfixitmi like this.
  10. Runamok

Runamok Gretschie

Aug 25, 2017
    USA midwest
    Do you have an “in-use” photo?

11. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Zacky, I agree with you, the cheaper tubing seems to work better than the surgical tube. Then I don't feel bad cutting it off the pots instead of pulling it off only to find that I destroyed the new pots. I normally replace the tubing after about 3-4 years, it gets too stiff. But for that price, I keep plenty of it around.
    I tried the pliable surgical tube, but it tends to stretch too easy, and likes to stick to itself.
    Due to lock down I went to a local fish store who had curbside service, and it worked very well.

ZackyDog likes this.
  12. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms

13. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Can I come if you are going to pay ?

thunder58 likes this.
  14. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    lol ...... I just bought the guys lunch at work

15. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Nope, sorry :(

16. BrianW

BrianW Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2014
    Vancouver Island
    Good memory! Some of the parts I have been getting are NOS from the CDN military (from the mid 60's by the labelling) They have come from the US, the U.K, Australia etc ... There were 4 versions of the bike. First two did have magnetos, the second two had alternator/ rectifier with coil and distributor ignition.
    I have nothing against Whitworth nuts and bolts (from an engineering standpoint I understand they are stronger than the "newer" standards) I just wish there was only one version, my bike has a mix of British standard and CEI fasteners as well as whatever the mechanics could find to keep it going. So: SAE, metric, plus a couple of the Whitworth styles. I only wish I had more Whitworth tools !!

Apologies to you ZackyDog for the thread sideline.....

17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA

18. adauria

adauria Gretschie

Dec 22, 2016
    Wake Forest, NC
    Would have been helpful when I replaced the switch on my 5420 last week, instead of my "invention" (which did eventually work).

-Andrew

19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    I'm still using old stethoscope tubing :)

20. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Dr. Tavo?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.