Incredibly Large' Mountain Lion Prowls Around Petaluma California Property

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes you were lucky to see that Cheetah family :)

Peacefully co-existing with Redback and Funnel Web spiders, plus all aussie deadlies, is easy.
    You only need to learn where they live, and when they're active, how to avoid contact and just give them respect and space.

I've lived most of my life in the prime habitat of Funnel Web spiders - it's central coast NSW.
    I rented a house at Avoca Beach once that had 12 big holes for Funnel Webs in the backyard.

I just avoided that part of the yard and I never saw one the 2 yrs I lived there.
    I often mowed the grass over their holes but no animal will surface with a huge noisy machine near them :D

juks likes this.
  2. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I don't want to live in a world that doesn't include the Taipan, and yet I am perfectly happy never, ever, ever meeting one.

Waxhead and radd like this.
  3. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    It's enough to make you want to push a whale back into the water.

4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    I dont know how I ever would have survived being born in Oz, everything in nature wants to kill you. My Mom was born in Sydney along w most of the Kelly fam, mostly all city folks.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Don’t lose your fear of them. All it takes is one bite and things will get very nasty.

During my Colorado years, I had many more snake encounters than I ever have in Arizona. Some years ago, they filmed a documentary about venomous snakes of North America went to Portal, AZ because there were so many examples of venomous snakes there. That’s in the neighborhood of 100 miles from Stately Synchro Manor, so I have them here too. I’ve seen Diamondbacks, including in my yard, and I’ve seen an Arizona Coral Snake within a couple of miles of my humble abode (about 100 yards from where I stood down the coyote). There are Gila Monsters nearby and Mojave Rattlers in the area. I was bitten by a Brown Recluse, about 20 years ago. (You don’t want that.) I’m watchful and aware, but one never knows. I will state that the most aggressive creature I’ve ever seen was a Prairie Rattler.

With regard to dogs, coyotes, etc. it’s good to remember that animals have their own personalities and that animals have good days and bad days, just like everyone else. I’ve seen coyotes that were aggressive and I’ve seen coyotes that were shy. I’ve never seen one that was friendly, but I can believe that it’s possible. They are of the dog family. Maybe someone was feeding him and he saw humans as harmless.

The deer I see in my yard vary a lot. The young are very skittish, but the older ones are bold and are very interested to see if you might have some food. Apparently a lot of people feed them, which I don’t recommend.

I would agree, the COyote is a lot better off than the AZyote and probably a lot less likely to try something. I have seen some beautiful examples around the neighborhood, and I suspect that they benefit from human feeding, whether deliberate or inadvertent.

That’s the heck of it. Sometimes the best intentions inadvertently make problems worse. As I have studied history, I have come to realize that very few problems have a simple solution, and even when the moral issues seem clear, the solutions can be complicated.

When I was 16 years old, and brimming with optimism, I knew that I could solve any problem. By the time I was 21, I realized that my answers were not always so good. If you took a sample of my opinions fevers five years, from that point on, there would be a trend line which flattened out when I reached a point where I realized that I had enough on my plate, just dealing with my own business and that I didn’t have any reason to think that I had any special wisdom or insight. Opinions are lie pituitary glands, everyone has one. :)

mrfixitmi and radd like this.
  6. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    You have much to learn about commiefornia, my friend - they have some of the most opressive firearms laws in the US. Of course, the gangbangers still carry.

-m

AZBrahma likes this.
  7. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    As a CA resident, I'm all for CA separating from the rest of the country. WA state and OR would probably join. I'm not alone, surprising people have been in the same opinion.

Then we can finally get out on the complaints about CA and CA can get out of paying way more to the federal coffers than we ever get back. CA alone is the 5th biggest economy in the world so we'd be just fine.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    You would have been just fine Tavo.
    You simply would have adapted like we all do here.
    And once adapted you wouldn't want it any other way :D

9. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I was surprised, and then again not surprised, to see that in a recent poll that 37% supported balkanizing the country. What's old is new again. I guess you can only delay the natural human condition for so long. Opinions on this are ubiquitous, and I certainly have mine.

Keep in mind from a purely fundamental economic standpoint, it doesn't matter how large the economy, if you spend more than you produce it is unsustainable. Very basic stuff. Unfortunately economic illiteracy is the new black, and every one of us is going to pay for it sooner or later.

mr coffee likes this.
  10. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    CA budget has been on surplus at least since 2016. So I don't thing there is a spending problem here. If I look at it on individual level, 25% of my taxes go to CA, 75% to feds. They could double my CA tax and if I didn't need to pay feds, I'd still see a 50% tax cut. And CA would be more than fine.

Only 8 states pay more into feds that what they receive. So with your point that if you spend more than you produce, you aren't sustainable applies to most states. They aren't sustainable. What boggles mind is that Texas and Florida are amongst those.

I've had to really bite my tongue few times talking to CA haters who come from states that only exist because of the money they get from the federal coffers.

AZBrahma likes this.
  11. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Interesting, I did not know that. I will confess that the skeptic/realist in me says that you can make numbers say anything you want if you torture them enough - it's done all the time. The whole thing is a shell game, kabuki theater, smoke and mirrors. That's not a CA thing, that's an 'everywhere public funds are spent' thing. The one number that continues to baffle and terrify is the national debt (that doesn't even include unfunded liabilities which is orders of magnitude larger). Hug those grand kids, they are going to be saddled with this mess.

CA ain't my bag for a whole host of reasons, but I'm not going to trash it. To each their own, that's why we have federalism and what's left of individual sovereignty. We don't like where we are, or like better what's going on somewhere else, and we can move. I put my money where my mouth is, and did so fairly recently.

Now that the thread has been completely derailed (sorry guys), here's a picture of a cut little backyard critter in my neck of the woods, caring for its young. Isn't it cute?

[​IMG]

mr coffee and juks like this.
  12. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    At least my own tax burden numbers are 100% accurate :). And you are right about the national debt and US is not alone in that boat.

Back to lovely critters.

AZBrahma likes this.
  13. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    Mama looks ready to take something down.

I like what I've seen of CA well enough - that's pretty much limited to Death Valley. You don't need critters there to kill you, the sun will do it just fine on it's own, in roughly 11 hours on a good day. There've been a couple times in my life that I nearly ended up in LA - when I was young and looking to get out of Michigan, LA was on my radar but the music scene was already changing rapidly and I wasn't certain that I could make it there any better than anywhere else. Later in life, a friend nearly got me an IT position in Thousand Oaks, but it didn't pan out. I don't know if I would've done alright with that one anyway, from what I know of the cost of living in that area.

Arizona is always beautiful, a few years ago I drove 66 from Needles east, most of the way across AZ before doubling back to the South Rim. Didn't see any critters that wanted to end me, but I wouldn't be surprised if they saw me.

-m

juks and AZBrahma like this.
  14. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    If a scorpion fails to find food, but has children with them, they see them as a, kind of, personal storage that, then, is to be eaten.

... or, as scorpions are arachnides, this is more drinking than eating ... spiders never eat, they can't, they thrive on drinking chemically processed insect smoothies.

Yummy!

15. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    radd likes this.
  17. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    True that. Even the Jellyfish are the considered the most venomous marine animal in the world. Surfers beware!

18. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    I've heard of coyotes in Houston, but not seen or heard one yet. I have seen feral hogs roaming the streets in certain neighborhoods.

-m

19. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    The hogs are a real problem in Texas and Hawaii.

Here's what I don't get...there are always these efforts to cull 'excess' animal populations (as if they won't eventually work themselves out). Feral hogs, Canadian geese, invasive fish. Then we're always hearing about homelessness and a lack of food security and how they are at crisis levels....see where I'm going with this? Instead of turning hogs into hamburger with machine guns from a helicopter or poisoning them, or throwing away geese....get those proteins processed and on the menu for the needy. I have no idea why that isn't happening. If we're going to try to play god, at least we could use the whole animal so it doesn't go to waste. Issue free tags, give a tax incentive to the butcher shops for processing, and off we go.

DennisC likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.