Incredibly Large' Mountain Lion Prowls Around Petaluma California Property

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by ZackyDog, Jul 2, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I was chased by a moose while skiing at Solitude in Salt Lake City. Terrifying.

2. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
  3. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Yep. I had a big bull enter into a clearing where I was, and I knew I had to make a choice if it became agitated. Risk stompage and antler jousting, or jump in the freezing cold lake. Hypothermia was a pretty easy decision. Luckily it didn't come to that.

I also crossed paths with a mom and calf at WAY too short a distance and miles from nowhere. I thought I was in big trouble. I desperately waved my arms and yelled, and she ultimately just sized up my pathetic mortal coil and then slowly kept going with baby in tow. Whew. After that I NEVER walked quietly again. The sidearm I was carrying would have been useless against that enormous animal.

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Sabato likes this.
  5. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    OK, my neighborhood NicheNR6Car.jpg Jaguar is bigger

AZBrahma and Back in Black like this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    ZackyDog likes this.
  7. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    PW,

I could have sworn, that was an old Ford Taurus.

BIB.

Robbie likes this.
  8. PrimitiveWood

PrimitiveWood Electromatic

Oct 16, 2014
    Pennsyltucky
    LOL---
    Bulls and cats--who knew they were related?

9. Dave Murray

Dave Murray Gretschie

Feb 27, 2016
    Indio, CA
    ZackyDog likes this.
  10. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I bought a vacation home in South Tahoe last year. We’ve had coyotes walking right down our street.

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    They are capable of being quite bold. There was one on the road, where I was riding my bike, and he refused to back off so much as an inch. Nothing to tangle with, and pets are not safe because of them.

Sabato likes this.
  12. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    They also hunt in packs and are not intimidated by dogs. Last year a Massachusetts woman climbed a tree to escape when surrounded by four of them. I read that some of the more aggressive ones may be coywolves.

13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s a scary thought. I know that I wouldn’t miss them if they left my area.

Sabato likes this.
  14. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    There was another case where there were quite a few and a woman walking her dogs popped off a couple of rounds in the air from a pistol she was carrying.
    Personally, I'd like to see more around here because we are overrun with rabbits and groundhogs and mice! The hawks can only do so much.

Waxhead likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Be careful what you wish for. I personally know of two cases where a coyote has gone into a yard and carried awa a small dog. These are pests, and they are dangerous. It used to be that the relatively few coyotes in existence were in sparsely populated areas and people thought that they should be protected. Flash forward to our day, and coyotes are a problem in many cities.

I don’t see them her often, but I do see them from time to time. Because of coyotes, my cat can never be outside unless I’m right there with her.

Sabato likes this.
  16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    They are also intelligent. The famous Death Valley Coyote would stand in the middle of the two lane road at the base of Towne Pass and you would see it miles before you got to it. Tourists would then stop, roll down a window and feed it. I just slowed enough to be able to dodge the critter on my yearly winter motorcycle trip to Death Valley.

EFD58C7A-6150-4250-B19B-49BDC8E248EB.jpeg

new6659 likes this.
  17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Clever canine.

radd likes this.
  18. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    A3ABBAC7-94CF-47E0-874A-29ABD3C59F1C.jpeg
    I see coyotes half the time I go to the local park. This is in the heart of Orange County, Ca. Two miles from the beach.
    They just walk by likes it’s no big deal. They have eaten cats and small dogs in the area though.

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    There’s a reason that they were hunted to near extinction.

20. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    The wolf-coyote hybrids around here will send a female into a yard to entice or play with a dog, get him out in a field and eat him.

There were several encounters last year in the morning in the parks between people walking their dogs and packs of coyotes, and a few more attacks on joggers.

Out in B.C. the bears are all over the townhouse complexes near green spaces. There are also homeless people living in the green space. I’m not sure how they coexist.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.