Incoming NGD: Gretsch G5627T P-90 Speyside

Shadowy_Man

Synchromatic
May 18, 2020
Chicago
Just ordered one of these, I've been wanting a P90 Gretsch for ages. For a while I had T90s on my 5420, and they were great, but eventually settled on TV Classics for that one.

The Speyside finish looks really great in pictures. I'll post some pics once my actual guitar arrives. :cool:

Shadowy_Man

Synchromatic
May 18, 2020
Chicago
It arrived and I actually caught the UPS man. That's a miracle! Pics:

JlCYUnY.jpg

UAPo2EV.jpg

qXRXMwm.jpg

F9byuql.jpg

O0FmX9c.jpg

Shadowy_Man

Synchromatic
May 18, 2020
Chicago
I really can't give a real review yet. First impressions:

Pickups: They sound quite good. As P90s go they are somewhat underwound. They are not hum cancelling in the middle position, I think I will eventually do a polarity change on the neck pickup to fix that. I've been spoiled by noiseless Filtertrons. The middle and bridge positions sound glorious. The neck is just okay, I'm going to fiddle with the pickup height, I suspect it's too low. This confirms my suspicion though that P90s are the kings of clean tone. Yes, I said it.

Neck: feel is similar to my G5420T, although something feels a bit different. Maybe a slightly flatter profile around the back? Width at nut should be the same according to specs. Fretwork looks good, no issues found so far. There is too much neck relief, I'll adjust the truss rod in a day or two.

Overall quality: quite nice, on par with my G5420T. I'll say that the wood grain is actually better - quite nice looking, front and back. The Speyside finish is really pretty. I love that the headstock is translucent brown and not black. The tuners are the only part that I think is probably a step down from my G5420T - a couple of them seem a bit dodgy, probably worth replacing eventually.

It will take some getting used to a thinner semi-hollow body guitar - I've just been playing the 5420 exclusively for a couple of years now. If I could have gotten this guitar in a fully hollow format that would have been perfect. But I got a good deal on it so I'm happy.

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
Had some more time with it, got the neck pickup height adjusted, the action tweaked a bit, changed my amp settings to give it a bit more bass and treble. Sounds gorgeous in all pickup positions. This is a winner!
Congrats, she is a beauty and love everything about a thin semi-hollow with P90s. Enjoy and hope the honeymoon is long!!