Incoming NGD: Awesome gift from the other (,other (?)) G brand :D

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by Sid Nitzerglobin, May 2, 2021.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Congrats Sid!

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  2. giffenf

giffenf Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Congrats on that one, that color has made me swoon and pine a bit for one. Enjoy!

3. SAguitar

SAguitar Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2020
    Jack Plate, Oregon
    Have a happy, and a great new guitar day! Enjoy!

4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    These look like a really cool thing, congrats and Happy Birthday Sid.

5. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Congratulations and Happy Birthday!

6. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks for the congrats & HBDs everyone!

It wound up arriving early enough this afternoon that I had time to swing by the shop & swap the stock .011-.049 strings, bridge, vibrato spring & strap buttons & do an initial pass at setting her up. There was some semi-major drama when the head on the front strap button screw stripped & I wound up having to cut the head off & spend ~ a half hour extracting the remains w/ a needle nose channel lock, but nothing too major went wrong in that process so I'll count myself lucky ;)

Grabbed a multitude of pics as well:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They seem to have upped their case game compared to the one for my Newark Street Aristocrat. Still not quite as nice of hinges, clasps, & fit & finish as a TKL, but the tolex looks nice & seems like it will be a good bit more durable:
    [​IMG]
    I've only got ~45 minutes in w/ it so far, but initial impression is I'm gonna love this one :D I'll update once I get to properly put it through its paces.

Floo, Merc, Moedecker and 3 others like this.
  7. O Riley

O Riley Gretschie

Yummy, I feel all tingly inside!
    For true!
    :D

8. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Damn beautiful, second best G brand. Congrats.

9. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    That's really nice.....I always say that Guild's deserve more love.....I've got a D-40 Traditional acoustic and I love it more every day...... and my dream guitar is a USA Guild 12 string... I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Sid Nitzerglobin and GlenP like this.
  10. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Gretschie

Dec 29, 2020
    GNV FLA USA
    Wow, that looks sharp. ¡Felicidades!

What are the pickups? Do they call them Dyna-Sonics, or DeArmond 2000, or what?

11. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks again!

For the update: so far so good, seems like a veritable rockabilly/spaghetti/surf-y tone machine & seems to excel at swanky jazz sounds for me as well so far. Seems really inspiring to play acoustically for me too w/ a very warm sound from the player's perspective & seems a bit quieter than the couple other full size archtops I've got (Epi ES175 Premium & '57 Streamliner). It winds up a good bit brighter & louder when you're hearing someone else play it however.

Output of the Dynas seems fairly low, maybe a bit higher than the HiLo set in my 6119-1962HT & a bit lower than the Dyna in the Streamliner , but w/ a boost they work very well for me for edge of breakup into the fairly clean-ish amps at conversational volume. Who knows when I'll get to use it in a band setting, but so far it seems surprisingly resistant to feedback at a decent volume w/ some moderate gain involved. It's definitely a big guitar & my right shoulder winds up complaining some after ~45 minutes - an hour of playing it seated but the experience of playing it is well worth the minor discomfort for me.

Aside from them leaving the nut fairly square edged & tall, I'm finding the whole thing to be really well executed. I think the thing I keep marveling at the most is what a great job they did on the fretboard & inlays. The dynamic color from the refracted light playing against the arches & curves is a thing of beauty as well.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    Merc likes this.
  12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    They're the new-ish DeArmond Dynasonics. They seem a bit lower output than the one in my Streamliner but compare pretty favorably otherwise to my ears so far.

Brian Krashpad likes this.
  13. RGS265

RGS265 Electromatic

Jun 7, 2020
    Ohio
    I absolutely love my Guild 12-strings! I have six including a Starfire, ‘69 F112, ‘64 F212, ‘75 F312 & ‘70 F512. The Starfire is newer, but duplicates one I played in the mid ‘60s. (I replaced it when I was in MY mid ‘60s... lol) The photo is of the F12 and F312. 3729B495-F95E-4DE3-BEC7-64F22231648A.jpeg

14. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Sure does look even better in your photos. That blue pops really nicely!

15. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    I may have already told this story....but, back in the early 90's, a year or so after I graduated from college, a buddy of mine came up to visit for a few days, and we went over to Vermont and happened upon this music store that used to be on Church Street (if memory serves)......they had a fair number of various acoustics....I had been kind of window shopping for one.....I tried several....then saw their 12 strings.....

They had some really nice ones, I recognized the Martin name as being a very well respected brand....and tried it out.....it was...ok....really nice, actually....but...it didn't really do anything for me....I tried a few others (some names I recognized, some I didn't)....and then saw a Guild.....I picked it up and strummed a chord on it.....and, I did you not, there were probably 4 other people in the shop, plus my buddy who was looking around...and EVERYONE's head turned right to me (well...to the Guild, actually, lol)...

My buddy, was a lefty, so couldn't play it.....but he watched as I sat with that guitar for probably 10-15 minutes.....I looked at the price, and it was $1200....which, for me, at that time, it may just as well have been $12,000....I couldn't afford it, or I'd have walked out with it that day.

But....nearly 30 years later....my buddy and I STILL talk about that guitar....

I don't know what model it was...if it was a USA or import (not sure what $1200 would have bought back then).....but it was one magical guitar.

Ever since then, I've wanted a 12 string....but ONLY a Guild will do......and in my dreams, a USA model....but, I might have to be realistic and get their mid-line import model, which is supposed to be pretty nice, as well.

Yours look fantastic.....

16. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Beautiful Sid,

Where are these currently being produced?

BIB.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Thanks!

They're made in Korea, I believe at the Samick factory.

Back in Black likes this.
  18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Congrats on a very generous birthday gift.
    I usually get some socks or a tie.

19. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats and enjoy.

That's SWEET!

20. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Beautiful guitar. My knees are weak!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.