Incoming Gretsch 5422T with TVs

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by stevecuss, Aug 2, 2020.

1. stevecuss

stevecuss Electromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    broomfield, co
    Folks,

I have a Gretsch arriving Tuesday. It has TV Jones Classics and I can't wait! I had a Blacktop equipped 5422T for some Christmas gigs I played, but I sold it because I really couldn't justify it, but a 5422 with TVs? Can't say no to that!

I am considering a Chet Atkins arm - I love the look of them. does anyone recommend the 7.5" or the 10"? Also, do you know if it will play nice with the B60 Bigsby?

I'm looking forward to digging in!

2. jay_mci

jay_mci Electromatic

Feb 9, 2019
    indiana
    To put a new arm on the import bigsbys youll have to ream the hole in the arm out to 10mm. I did juat that and have a duane eddy arm on my b60.

Shadowy_Man likes this.
  3. JT19

JT19 Gretschie

Nov 28, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That sounds awesome! A G5422T is the next Gretsch I'd like to acquire... and getting one with TV Jones Classics would be amazing.

Can't wait to see the pics when it arrives! What color is it?

4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Yup, I did that too. Just used my trusty power drill and it fit perfectly.

5. Gbm6

Gbm6 Electromatic

Sep 30, 2019
    New Zealand
    I just installed a Chet arm 2 days ago on my 5422, enlarging that hole was really no problem but I worried about it for weeks beforehand haha.

I don’t have a vice so I screwed some chunks of wood together to make a corner and wedged the bracket in there, a final screw through the hole above where the spring would fit to secure it in place, and then just drilled it out with a 10mm bit.

it can’t have been dead on, but was certainly good enough.

6. stevecuss

stevecuss Electromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    broomfield, co
    Thanks everyone. It is a wine red Gretsch, nickel hardware. I love the 5422 profile - sort of 335ish, skinnier than the 5420 but still very very Gretsch. Can't wait and I'll post pics when it arrives Wednesday.

I am getting carried away, of course. I may end up with a custom pick guard when all is said and done.

7. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Very nice, congrats!

TVJ'S pickups are awesome, and so are the current Electromatic, especially post-2016. What year's she from?

The B60 will work fine so far, although the USA-made Bigsbys are a fair bit nicer, and don't cost that much more - if I were to buy one, I'd chose a B6, but a B60 in good condition isn't bad in any way. The slots in the nut will, if anything, be the first suspect regarding tuning issues, but these aren't to hard to solve in case you find them present in her.

The race between 5420 and 5422 was won by the 20 in m case, but not by miles or so, more by inches. They're great. Both are.

And they look really, really cool. Both do.

8. stevecuss

stevecuss Electromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    broomfield, co
    calebaaron666 likes this.
  9. stevecuss

stevecuss Electromatic

Jan 18, 2013
    broomfield, co
    Ok, that is wierd, it arrived today and is exactly as described by the seller EXCEPT that it is actually a 5122T not a 5422T as advertised. That's a pretty big deceit - but I confess I don't know Gretsch enough to know if it really matters. I'll post a separate thread to learn any differences. I've reached out to the seller to request a small refund for the difference. Seems odd to represent it as one model when it is another.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.