Join Gretsch-Talk Today

IN PRAISE OF THE OLD STYLE PRO JET

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by old fella, Jul 15, 2017 at 8:07 AM.

1. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I believe Ups had a packaging and shipping service, the seller can just stop it off. If you really want it back.

2. old fella

old fella Gretschie

Dec 11, 2009
    uk
    Whitecloud.. Hi again. Yep have to confess I have you to thank for pointing me in Bryan's direction. I asked for the same rewind as you (which I recollect Bryan said was slightly under wound) and , as I have said, am very happy with the end product. I also remembered to ask for the 4 conductor wiring which I recollect you forgot to do. This has enabled me to experiment with various pup wirings to get some subtle sound changes. ,

Like you I have had praise for the guitar and pups. A buddy with very magic fingers has gotten some amazing sounds from it thru his Mesa Boogie and has actually asked for first dibs if ever I want to sell it. And this is a guy who would not normally look twice at a chinese made guitar and who currently owns ,among others, a 57 re issue Lester and a core line Custom PRS!

kb carroll Assuming the guy is not trying to rip you off price wise you will regret it if you do not now take the opportunity and made a positive effort to get it back, especially if if it has sentimental value as well.

Its great to hear that you gigged an old style pro jet virtually straight from the box without mods. As you say the stock mini hums are not actually that bad. There a guy on You Tube Hoolio who gives some really great guitar lessons. Some of these are with a pro Jet. Initially he “upgraded” the pups to GFS NY 3 mini hums but later changed back to the stock mini hums because he prefered the sound .

I have done a lot of experimenting with the mini hums. . After getting the heights right, a good and cheap mod (..its free.) . is to just unsolder the tone pot and have only a volume control. This de muds the mini hums and opens them up and you can get some great sixties classic sounds. If you want to colour the sound a bit you can always use the amp. This simple mod also teaches you the importance of rolling off the vol a bit.

3. kbcarroll

kbcarroll Electromatic

Nov 4, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    It was 100% stock, except for the fact that I had to swap the bridge around backwards to get just that last half millimeter so I could get the intonation 100% perfect. Other than that, 100% stock other than using ernie ball slinky top heavy bottom strings and a tightened truss rod.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I really don't like them at all ... creepy crap
    mind invaders !

IMG_8896.jpg

I have absolutely to stop collecting them !

6. Telechamp

Telechamp Synchromatic

Oct 20, 2010
    Florida
    I wish I hadn't sold my '07 PJ.. Here she is with my 5120 (before the Surf 90's swap on the 5120).

I didn't like the stock mini-hums on the Pro Jet, but I liked everything else about it. (It was kinda heavy, though, to be honest - but still not a deal-breaker in that regard.)

I shoulda just thrown in some GFS NYII's and called it a day - instead of selling it..

[​IMG]

ZackyDog likes this.
  7. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    We can thank this thread when dealers start quoting it when they're askin $700.00 for these.:D:eek:

j.s.c likes this.
  8. blueruins

blueruins Country Gent

May 28, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    Just look at my icon if you want my opinion

j.s.c likes this.
  9. Robbie

Robbie Country Gent

Nice guitar and I enjoyed your post. I don't think these guitars get enough credit for how good they are.

10. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    IMG_0537.JPG And the pickup cavities are the exact size to drop in P90's