Improvement Is Slow, But At Least I’m Not Getting Worse

Gretschzilla

Gretschie
Apr 20, 2021
Saint Paul, MN USA
It’s a busy time of life managing work and several significant repairs to our ‘64-built home. So time for playing and recording is limited. Way less than what I’d like.

I was stressing about it a few months ago until I found a way to make peace with the desire to play and record more than life priorities allow.

I have 30 or so favorite tabs I keep in a 3-ring binder on a music stand in my home office (where I spend about 9 hours a day). I spend 30-45 minutes a day (sometimes split up over 2 or 3 mini-breaks) playing and singing each song in succession. When I hit the end, I start over.

I keep my acoustic Taylor on a stand in my office so I can just grab it and play.

I’m making progress v e r r r r y slowly. But at least I ain’t getting any worse. And it’s what I can do now. So that’s okay.

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
Sadly I don`t practice as often as I should but I am listening to records of music that I want to learn when driving in my car visualising the chords and single-note lines in my head. For hours and hours.
Usually I can play that immediately on my instrument.
There were projects I had to learn 10+ songs for and I never touched the guitar before our first rehearsal.
And it worked.

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
Sometimes a little time away is the best thing for your progress...strange but true.
That’s what I’ve learned recently. After multi hours piano practice every day for a week or two, just staying away from the black & white keys for a couple/three days it helps me focus and be more relaxed trying to practice the things I’ve learned. I don’t know how or why, but it worked for me.

Gregor

Country Gent
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Sadly I don`t practice as often as I should but I am listening to records of music that I want to learn when driving in my car visualising the chords and single-note lines in my head. For hours and hours.
Usually I can play that immediately on my instrument.
Now that's the holy grail we're all looking and striving for. I'm still looking and still striving. Well done bro!

Emergence

Synchromatic
May 25, 2022
New York
I’m retired now. Retirement changes your outlook, sometimes in unexpected ways. Every day is Saturday. I don’t wear a watch. I joined a really good gym to redistribute the weight I put on since college and lose some of it too. I’m still playing my guitars. My finger style is getting better. I play a few more songs but it takes longer to learn them and every new one I learn pushes an old one out. Is this aging gracefully or just getting older and caring less?

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
I’m retired now. Retirement changes your outlook, sometimes in unexpected ways. Every day is Saturday. I don’t wear a watch. I joined a really good gym to redistribute the weight I put on since college and lose some of it too. I’m still playing my guitars. My finger style is getting better. I play a few more songs but it takes longer to learn them and every new one I learn pushes an old one out. Is this aging gracefully or just getting older and caring less?

Is this aging gracefully or just getting older and caring less?....

I suspect the latter is the cause of the former.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
When you get older you just don't put up with stupidity and other useless nonsense.
Life's too short to deal with idiots.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
sounds like you have both purpose and focus. cheers

b0227b3c9966f94a724c90d1dd05fce1df876b3b4d9ee84a2a1f589eab6944c3.jpg