Improved playing

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Opart68, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    A while back a lot of folks were saying not to go crayon the mods, as you'll never recoup your investment. Naturally I haven't got any intention of parting with this guitar. Even In the event that I some how get a proline when we go back to America for a visit next year, I reckon I'll still play this guitar. I got my start, when I got married, and to be honest, I rarely played it till I began the mods, and I really appreciate it now because of the Gretsch's absence.

Another point I'd like to make, is that , in my own humble opinion, as a result of these mods, I can honestly say , that I've achieved the purest sound I can get out got this level of an instrument, without going pro. I want to add the Bigsby B6C ASAP to my 5120, even though I've been told that it won't make me a better guitar player. I can say one thing about this mod, is that if it feels half as nice as the ones ive used on proline models, I'm sold. It's gotta feel better than the bike hand break feel ofthe liscenced one my guitar came with. I stopped playing for quite awhile when I got married, but this hobby or whatever you call it has brought me the ease to get back to where I was before. So yeah, this stuff has made me a better player.

In conclusion, I'd just like to say that no matter where the cost or time goes, it beatsthe hell out of watching Lost or Xfactor. I'd be interested in any feed back regarding the total or ongoing totals of your mods. Don't be shy, our wives and girlfriends don't surf these boards.

Chris

2. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    Don't go craz on your mods, forget the crayons... :)

3. delboy

delboy Gretschie

Oct 20, 2010
    Gloucester, UK
    Must admit, I'm not a modder. Over the years I've changed a black pick-guard for a white one on my strat, and changed out a rear p/up on my Tokai Tele for a Seymour Duncan (to be honest, still not entirely happy with it - but it's only been in for about twenty years so I still need to give a little more time...). That's it. That's all the mods, I've ever done. Total cost - maybe £50?

The greatest improvement in playability in 35 years came last month when I had my Strat refretted and professionally set-up. Total cost £250. At the moment I'm thinking about having the same luthier look at the Tokai later this year. Them maybe my acoustics... Total costs could get expensive!

Derek

4. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Greetings Opart..if it works for you & you've made a considered assessment..go for it...sometimes it's necessary for not a lot of $$$.. it's true that it's hard to recoup but if it's a keeper it's worth every cent...l like to have my guitars playing at their optimum;whatever it takes...usually mods that are reversible /not too intrusive...can always put the old parts back on to sell and keep the goodies for spares...if l research well l don't have do much at all...l get the majority of the guitar just as l want it...a set up/strings or a bridge etc...nothing to drastic.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  5. GADify

GADify Gretschie

Jul 2, 2011
    NJ
    I've modded almost every guitar I've owned, and I've owned more than a few.

I've given up modding inexpensive guitars in an effort to make them better, though. In every case I've ended up selling at a significant loss.

I'v modded $400 guitars, and I've modded $4000 guitars. I"ve played $400 gems and $4000 duds. No matter what though, I've never been able to make a $400 dud sound, feel and play like a $4000 gem. If, though, the guitar was a keeper, then yes, I would mod the heck out of it.

6. WATThouse

WATThouse Synchromatic

I always mod my guitars to suit me perfectly and I agree completely, Opart68. It helps me play better because it sounds and feels exactly right. I buy guitars without any intention of selling them in the future. I feel wierd not changing my guitar now because some other guy in the future might not like what I am doing now. I'm not a real estate agent. I'm just a guy who really loves playing guitar. I've lost track of my mod totals...probably about $400 on my 6120 Jr. But to me that guitar is the most awesome guitar for me and worth so much more now.

7. HooDooPhonix

HooDooPhonix Electromatic

Feb 13, 2012
    I think it depends, I think if you know what you like, mod your guitar, I liked my RHH6120, as it was I liked my 6118 as it was, filtertrons good hardware, now I have 2 5120's and I know I like filtertrons and good hardware, to me it's practically a setup issue, I don't even think of it as a mod. as far as making a silk purse out of a sows ear, I would say. I just recorded a new project I have always played gretsch, and I have never had so many compliments on my tone. that is with a 5120, and an iPad, no effects other that reverb and an orange amp model. so maybe a wildcat can't be a sparklejet, but you can make improvements in tone-playability with some effort. also I am a neck scoffer, when it comes to laminate tops, is that a mod or setup? I like solid aluminum bridges, mod or setup? I think it's pretty arbitrary really.

8. Geosh

Geosh Synchromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    I mod just about every guitar I own. Most to make them play or sound more how I like, some just for looks so my guitars are unique. I don't like having something that anyone could just go out and buy. I like to be unique.

Some of my mods:
    G6119SP Stock:
    [​IMG]
    Mod-1: (Swapped Bigsby for hard tail, Compton Bridge, TV Jones, Silver PG)
    [​IMG]
    Mod-2: (all gold hardware and some"Caddi-Bling")
    [​IMG]

G5120: HS Filtertrons, Tru-Arc bridge, silver PG
    [​IMG]
    It also got the B6C off my G6119 shortly after this picture

9. Geosh

Geosh Synchromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Just be careful with your modding, as it is possible to start getting out of hand:

Vox AC30CC2 (started with a chassis and made the head cab and 2x12 cabinet from scratch):
    [​IMG]

When off the shelf pedals no longer satisfy:
    [​IMG]

When no ordinary Telecaster will do:
    [​IMG]

10. G-Whiz

G-Whiz Country Gent

Dec 30, 2011
    Virginia
    If you want to see and example of what my good friend here is talking about with the nodding getting out of hand, look at my Triple Jet build.

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Otto-correct strykes a-gain. :)

12. ishtar

ishtar Country Gent

Wow.... My 6120 looks way different with those electric lime and forest green scribbles all over... Anyone know how to get this stuff off?

13. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That is gorgeous!

14. Geosh

Geosh Synchromatic

Mar 17, 2010
    Chandler, AZ
    Yes it is. The red looks SOOO much better in person. The maple has a bit of flame to it and when it catches the light it just looks phenomenal. I don't know why the G6119s never got a gold hardware option because it just looks GOOD.

I kinda miss seeing it hanging on the wall in my music room, but I am sure the new owner is appreciating it fully and I am loving my new Jet Firebird

15. Opart68

Opart68 Gretschie

Feb 14, 2011
    Australia
    Wow! Nice mods, I'm still debating a custom pick guard. After the others changes, natch!

16. calvin lee

calvin lee Country Gent

Jan 5, 2011
    new york
    i say go crazy with the mods if it makes the guitar better for your personal needs. if you want a great guitar, make it your own. if you want an investment, buy stock. or something, i dunno how banks work.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.