Important Guitar Players That Are Not As Popular As They Should Be

drmilktruck

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Double Platinum Member
May 17, 2009
Plymouth, MN
I spoke to Neil in a chat room.

He laughed when I mentioned that I played with Alexander Hamilton (the drummer on the first Benatar album).

I said that Alexander insulted me at a session and that he was a bit of a nasty guy.

Neil told me that that's why they don't work with him.

That must have been before Alexander got shot by Aaron Burr and had a musical written about him. :D

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Hank Garland
Had he not been in that accident, I believe that Hank Garland may well have become a household name, much like Chet Atkins was in the ‘60s. Jazz Winds From A New Direction still stuns me, every time I listen to it. I managed to buy pretty much everything that Hank Garland did, and all of it had at least that level of quality and virtuosity.

Webby

Electromatic
Dec 22, 2020
germany
Had he not been in that accident, I believe that Hank Garland may well have become a household name, much like Chet Atkins was in the ‘60s. Jazz Winds From A New Direction still stuns me, every time I listen to it. I managed to buy pretty much everything that Hank Garland did, and all of it had at least that level of quality and virtuosity.
Excatly that!
I've been recommending Jazz Winds to many of my colleagues, and pretty much everybody was blown away by it!

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
Wow, I recall having seen his name on liner notes but had never looked him up until now. Hank had amazing chops!

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
Wow, I recall having seen his name on liner notes but had never looked him up until now. Hank had amazing chops!
Hank was the Nashville equivalent of Johnny Smith; ultra clean and great technique. Below is a picture of a Byrdland that Hank owned. A friend of mine has it in his collection, and I have gotten to play it, on several occasions. It is one of the nicest playing guitars I’ve ever had the privilege to play. It played almost without effort.

3FEDDAE8-DE93-4567-9C61-DD87CA6B9C29.jpeg

ombudsman

Electromatic
Mar 19, 2022
Cincinnati OH
South African guitarist Philip Tabane was a great musician who could seem traditional and futuristic at the same time. Miles Davis tried to hire him once for his early 70s band.

He has a recently reissued album available, which I think was his first full length, from 1969; his work has usually been tough to find, and it probably won't be around long.

blueruins

Friend of Fred
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
Five pages of responses and no one has mentioned Bill Frisell and Greg Leisz...

And I'll include this highly produced thing, from his Grammy album, Unspeakable... Old Sugar Bear...

Love Bill Frisell. I think he would be a more popular figure but I suspect he doesn’t eat meat.

Freshy

Country Gent
Sep 30, 2017
Homosassa FLA
I dont know how you would classify his play but Ry Cooder style has long been a favorite of mine. Knopfler is another that is hard to classify. Not that I can play anything from either of them in their style. Their fingerpicking is IMO genius.