Immediate Gretsch Acolyte

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by PorscheGretsch, Jan 19, 2021.

Tags:
  1. PorscheGretsch

PorscheGretsch Electromatic

Jan 19, 2021
    Canada
    Hey everyone, I’m new here, obviously. I bought my G5620 last year when lockdown restrictions eased off here in Canada, but I still needed something to do. I’ve been playing guitar for about 15 years, with a Tele mainly, and wanted to spice things up.

I’d plateaued, wasn’t giving my playing the time it needed, and found this beauty used. Had to have it. From the first chord I played, I was sold. I immediately bought it, and started researching Gretsch more in depth. I found I agreed with the main concerns with the guitar: harsher bridge pickup, rattly stock bridge, nothing dealbreaking, but I’d committed to this guitar and felt it deserved some real love.

To try and bridge the gap between Electromatics and the pro tier Gretsches, I bought some TV Jones classics, but might only install the bridge PU for the time being. I looked into replacement bridges. Schaller, Bigsby, Tru-Arc... the latter was appealing, but I decided to splurge on a Titanium tone-chambered Compton. Go big or go home. Emailed Wayne, got my measurements ready, then he replied today saying he doesn’t make a bridge for my model guitar.

I’m obviously disappointed, especially after seeing other 5620s with Comptons installed on this forum. I could never be that customer demanding service and being an *******, but I’m curious for an explanation. That may very well be the case, but if it can be done I’d do what it needs to fit it, unless it’s actually incompatible with the model and that all these guys who’ve done it did it wrong lol. If it’s because COVID makes things too big a pain in the ass or because I live in Canada, I get that too. I firmly believe any service provider, custom work especially is entitled to refuse.

Basically I’m just disappointed that the big custom work I wanted to splurge on for my baby can’t be done, and there’s no one else to go to do it his way. Damn artists!!! (I kid, I kid). So if anyone else can help me figure out what to go with, probably some Tru-Arc model, or even a more in depth explanation of what my guitar doesn’t get the treatment, I’m all ears and appreciate any conversation.

What a complainy introduction, I apologize if I should’ve made a new thread somewhere else, I don’t post a lot anywhere.

Pleased to meet you all!

DaddyDog likes this.
  2. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Welcome to the forum PG!

Wayne's a member here and a great guy. I think the issue is likely the spacing of the bridge posts.

3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hello and welcome @PorscheGretsch .
    You may notice that in your 4th paragraph there are a number of asterisks ( **** ) . Filters block out such words no matter how " lightly " they may seem and we as moderators can view what was intended to be written by hitting the " edit " button . All we ask is that you please be mindful in the future as we try and keep a PG atmosphere here . I'm sure you have also read G-T Rules & Regs
    Thank you

PorscheGretsch likes this.
  4. JaredmacNeil90

JaredmacNeil90 Electromatic

Jan 19, 2021
    Pei
    I know its frustrating. I would wonder if you where to change the base of the bridge out too. Then you could get the bridge ordered and get base that fits. Because from my understanding tithe pole position that would cause an issue. And I'm sure wayne is on the forum too. I wouldn't be surprised if he could help point you in the right direction. Best of luck jared

5. PorscheGretsch

Jan 19, 2021
    Canada
    Will do! My bad!

thunder58 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    No worries my friend

7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    You can get a Tru arc in titanium, though usually a wait.

Comptons are mostly designed for floating bridges, they have a couple designed for specific guitars with fixed bridges. That said, it could work but may be hit or miss such that Compton would not want to sell if it is likely the customer will be disappointed.

8. PorscheGretsch

Jan 19, 2021
    Canada
    This could be interesting, I’ve recently been given contact info for a guitar... fixer...? Not sure if he’s a luthier or what he would be called. If I can get in touch with him I’d be curious if we could work out a solution like yours. And it’s frustrating for sure, but I want to make it clear I don’t hold it against Wayne whatsoever, not that he’d probably care what a stranger like me thinks. I’m just back to square one and want to give the instrument the treatment it deserves. I consider the titanium peak improvement, so it’s hard to find an equivalent alternative. Thus the frustration. It’s worse when you know what’s out there that you can’t have. Hahah

9. PorscheGretsch

Jan 19, 2021
    Canada
    Also very understandable, and I’d be reluctant to do any permanent alterations that would inherently damage the base guitar. I’ll look into tru-arc more as well

10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, PorscheGretsch !
    Maple Leaf doormat.jpg

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome! Quite a Canuck contingent here.

12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville!

Be aware fitting a Compton on fixed posts is basically a custom job. Titanium is hard on the tools, and proper intonation(= customer satisfaction) is not necessarily guaranteed. I hate to say it cause I love Compton bridges, but you’re probably better off.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  13. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    @PorscheGretsch What part of the country? Watch for the annual Gretsch Roundup in Kingston when we get out of this Covid thing.

14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that Wayne doesn't make a bridge for your guitar.
    I have his bridges on a G5420T and G5230T, they both work great.
    Good luck in your quest.

15. PorscheGretsch

Jan 19, 2021
    Canada
    I’m up in simcoe. East of Orangeville. I’ll keep an eye on that, thank you

DaddyDog likes this.
  16. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT PorscheG!

So,what Porsche do ya have sir?

17. Blister

Blister Electromatic

Jan 2, 2021
    Upstate NY
    Hello hello you're welcome where's the picture of the Gretsch and tele

18. PorscheGretsch

Jan 19, 2021
    Canada
    I do not have a Porsche myself, I simply considered Gretsch and Porsche to have similar reputations in their respective fields. My stepdad is a Porsche expert basically. A mechanic that specializes in European cars but especially Porsche. He has a handful of his own that he has project plans for, but the shop never has fewer than 3 or 4 in it at a time. I grew up with a special love for the cars

JC higgy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.