I'm using always compressor or my guitar seems dead lol

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by samdevos, Aug 30, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Sounds about right. It does amplify noise quite a bit.

2. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    I’m dependent on my Carl Martin Compressor.

It evens out the frequencies and tightens things up and even enhances the overall tone - I really dig it.

It has a precise gain knob that works great.

The threshold knob will clean up anything and everything ‘till things will just about flatten out completely.

3. ElectraNomad

ElectraNomad Electromatic

Jul 11, 2021
    USA
    I don't mind any effect really, just sparingly and judiciously. :)

4. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I use a compressor when I'm looking for a lead tone that's less Gretsch and more Gibson. The compressor fattens things up and gives my 5620 a nice sustain boost.

5. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    to me audible compression just removed the dynamics of a performance.it has its uses but I don’t drive with my high beams at dusk either. I’ll put them on in the middle of the night on a pitch black road.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Why not buy a Gibson? You can get a nitro finished USA made sg that’s been plek’d for less than a made in a third world country Gretsch.

7. Cdb1961

Cdb1961 Gretschie

May 5, 2018
    Orange Park, Fl
    I've kept mine on for years (Wampler Ego), like the sound I get and sustain it offers when I wish to dial it in.

8. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    It is funny how a pedal, even barely on, can make the sound bloom. I used to use a compressor always on and loved it. I dont use one anymore. But I usually have a clean boost or OD on at very low gain and the sound is just bigger and more lush.

Why don't I use a compressor anymore? I got a wireless guitar rig maybe 8+ years ago. At gigs I started walking out into the club/crowd. It was then I realized how bad the compressor made it sound OUT THERE. Mushy, soft, poor note definition.
    But it sounded great standing in front of the amp. Sold the compressor and haven't looked back.

CAVEAT: I am a mostly neck pickup player. Neck pickups are deep and full, but can get lost in a band mix if you are not careful.
    OTOH, bridge pickups are trebly, bright and spiky. I think they cut through with a compressor much better.

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Cuz you get what you pay for?

10. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Not always. Show me another company that offers:

1- A made in the USA guitar
    2- Iconic design
    3- Finished in nitro
    4- Factory Plek'd
    5- Holds its value exceptionally well
    6- Plays and sounds great
    7- About $1000

Or go with FMIC and get the once iconic name stuck on an imported large factory guitar.

NJDevil likes this.
  11. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    By definition a compressor doesn't make sound 'bloom' it does the opposite.

12. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    OK, what you wrote above was my take also, however........I say this and still really do not know what it does. I've always liked my tone and knew what to tinker with if I didn't. Now I am starting a new adventure and may need one. But how can I say that if I just admitted I really do not know what they do?

Sidebar.....Would you take the same approach if you asked David Gilmour why his compressor is always on? This leads me to the obvious next question......What does it do for his solos? Gilmour is one of my greatest influences but never tried to copy his tone....all 1000 of them depending on the song.

Lately though I have started a new project and my soloing ventures into Gilmour territory.

Please share your thoughts from the Gilmour angle in using compression.

13. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Honestly I wouldn’t know David Gilmore if he was standing next to me at Guitar Center. I know a few Pink Floyd songs but not enough to answer your question.

My guess is he probably wants a lot of sustain but plays single coil pickups with a lot of gain, Again, maybe he plays a Les Paul or 6120. I couldn’t tell you.

I’m not slamming him or anything I just know his name. Not familiar with his playing.

NJDevil likes this.
  14. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Pretty good guess as the material I am thinking of with my question comes when is mostly playing his Strat with hot SD single coils. It is more of his recent material so his '55 Les Paul is used also as his Duo Jet at times.

15. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have a ‘56 Les Paul and it would be extremely noisy with a compressor. Imho it doesn’t need any pedals. Ymmv

16. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I already took that advice. Just a personal thing, but nothing Gibson interests me. The one I kinda like is the Firebird and of the 4 US made I saw in my local store, all had terrible paint jobs, and all were listed over 1500. I'm glad you like your Gibsons. Personally I'd rather pay for quality than nationalism. Also like the Juniors but I would prefer a Chinese made one by eastman.

17. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I don't doubt it but I think it's safe to say if it were used, then it was a reason. Gilmour recorded "Comfortably Numb" with his '55 LP, an MXR DynaComp and think his techs or producers worked around any noise issue.

The question I have though is why there is noise with, for example, your '56 LP and a compressor. What happens that creates the noise with the compressor engaged?

18. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    Well, you don’t know where he was in relation to the guitar. Plus the studio would have had clean power and he could stay in one spot. Playing live is a different thing.

NJDevil likes this.
  19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The Dyna Comp creates its own noise. It’s an amplifier that increases its gain as a signal decays. As it lifts a signal, noise goes up. Boutique (Ross type) equivalents can be lower noise if they use better components.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    NJDevil likes this.
  20. kpnash

kpnash Electromatic

Another Wampler Ego user here. Longer attack time and carefully blended with the clean signal to add just a bit of sustain. Needs to admit, I hate this thing when just playing at home 'cos it still kind of eats some dynamics. But in a band's mix, once I switch it off, I'm lost.

Henry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.