I'm using always compressor or my guitar seems dead lol

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by samdevos, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Interesting how everyone is different.
    It's the exact opposite for me :D

Tube amps/pedals already have a lot of natural compression. The more gain you add the more you get.
    One of the reasons I don't like any youtube video tones is they are all compressed to within an inch of their lives.
    Seems many people have got used to youtube as somehow "normal".

So when more compression is added via a pedal it's like being blinded to me - can't hear the natural guitar tone for the over processed compression :eek::D

PS - I also have a Question for you guys reliant on compressors.
    Are you using modelling amps, solid state amps or modellers ?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    amp360 and dlew919 like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    There's a different between "using" and "reliant on".;) For me, non master Tube amp.

pmac11, pete12string and Waxhead like this.
  3. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    But that's only one function of a compressor. Tube amps don't have a feedback loop that lifts the decaying note which creates sustain.

Only if you don't set it right. But also, they're not all created equal - there are a number of compressors that will add sparkle and sustain without removing dynamics. There are also a number that will give a great dynamic to your notes.

No, all tube hand built Fender variants. But reliant? Nah, I just like what it does.

And keep in mind, the compression pedal you're not using isn't the same as the compression pedal I am using.

pmac11, pete12string and Shadowy_Man like this.
  4. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I have an Orange Squeezer style comp. Even at maximum compression it doesn't get rid of dynamics. If I pick softer the note is softer coming out of the amp, but of course the dynamic range is narrowed.

If you use a Dynacomp at maximum compression, that will kill all your dynamics for sure. But most people don't use them that way. I do like some clean country twang, so compression is a no brainer, but I use it even for jazzy stuff too.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
    NJDevil likes this.
  5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve tried compressors and limiters, but never liked the sound. The Ross compressor from the late ‘70s may have been more to my liking.

Live, or around the house, I never use one. I’ve been known to all ply light compression to a recorded guitar track, but I try to keep it so subtle that it’s not really noticeable.

Waxhead likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    As it turns out, they have been brought back and apparently in all their glory. But if you don’t like compressors for they typical reasons, the Ross is the very one you probably don’t want.

7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’ve never used a compressor pedal with a guitar, but I can relate to pedal dependence. I tend to always need/want some kind of preamp/boost or drive pedal before hitting the amp or else my stuff sounds dead. I used to use a tube screamer set to clean. Now I’m a slave to my Nocturne Brain.

NJDevil and Waxhead like this.
  8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Not a compressor but ..... reverb. I need reverb!

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    No I don’t use one all the time.

10. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Sam,

Not dead, just your own personal tone preference.

I very much like ''compressor'' tone as well, especially on 12 string Rickenbackers.

To me there is really only one compressor pedal, and that's the ''JangleBox''

I have a very early, first generation model, it may not be switched on all the time, but it's always cabled in.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1325.JPG IMG_0225.JPG

stevo and pmac11 like this.
  11. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Gretschie

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    That's what I do. I did find that I have to use a noise reducer and run the compressor through the noise reducer's effects loop, but the noise reducer is set to the absolute minimum settings.

BTW, I'm not worried about killing the "natural sound" of my electric guitar. Electric guitars do not have a natural sound!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Gregor, TSims1 and Henry like this.
  12. ElectraNomad

ElectraNomad Electromatic

Jul 11, 2021
    USA
    I'm in the camp of a) it depends on your style/genre and b) does your amp compress at some sweet spot.

Dynamics.... a compressor will make it more difficult to use actual playing style dynamics as it will try to equalize the lower volumes... but it's a good option to be able to switch in and out as needed.

13. ElectraNomad

ElectraNomad Electromatic

Jul 11, 2021
    USA
    Disagree. My center block with P90 pickups has a distinct natural sound unless I put it in maximum overdrive, it comes through even with pedals.

14. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Which compressor? I have one that adds noise, but the other two don't add noise although if you have noise coming into them, as they lift the decay, the noise increases. That's basically inevitable.

15. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    But Amps only fulfill part of the function that a compressor pedal or rack unit does. And what the amp does is of course all some want.

As to dynamics, that's only partially true. Not all are created equal nor do they all set out to do the same thing. Some add sparkle and dynamics rather than take it away.

16. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Gretschie

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    It's a Behringer CS400, which is pretty much the same electronically as the Boss CS-3. I was getting a slight hiss, which the NS300 noise reducer, with settings at zero, eliminated.

17. fsdphcorrigan

fsdphcorrigan Gretschie

Aug 30, 2019
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    IMO, the only "natural sound" you can get from an electric guitar is the sound you get unplugged. Guitar amps color the sound. It will sound different through a Fender amp than it will through a Vox amp. Which one is the "natural" sound?

18. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    oh my no. i try one every ten years or so, but even great ones sound terrible when i play through them. they certainly work for lots of players who’s sound i do like, but never for me.

19. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    radio compression, same problem. i remember buying vinyl of stuff i’d heard on the radio and wondering why it sounded different.

Waxhead likes this.
  20. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    hard same.

new6659 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.