I'm using always compressor or my guitar seems dead lol

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by samdevos, Aug 30, 2021.

1. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    Lol i don't know if this is a issue but no matter what rig i compose I always use a compressor with it. Otherwise the guitar feels like dead.
    I think i'm used to the sound of a guitar thats 'sound easier".
    I must say i'm using it whith a kemper so digital stuff .

I think paul pigat uses a compressor as well .
    So u guys use also compressors in your rig?

Back in Black likes this.
  2. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    Yeah, I use one all the time. It just sounds sweeter with compression.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  3. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Pretty much never on guitar for me live unless I'm using it as an obvious effect which is pretty rare. I like the full range of dynamics available to me generally & usually like the tones better just relying on the compression provided by drive/boost pedals & amp & modulating my picking dynamics better unless the pickups are crazy spiky (I'm looking at you HS Filtertrons...) It's been possible to dial in a parallel/blending compressor to not sound/feel flat to me, but usually I've got the dry signal up so much by that point I feel like it's kind of a waste for me.

Really comes down to the guitars/amps you're playing & the sounds & response you like though in my view.

Bertotti and Waxhead like this.
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Yes, I use one with a hollowbody just to beef up the sustain a bit, and to smooth out the peaks and troughs a touch. I've got a Keeley Compressor Plus, so I can dial in the dry signal to suit my taste. It's never a full wet output.

rockinforJesus likes this.
  5. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    I used to have that problem, but ever since I got into vintage Fender tube amps I never seem to need one anymore. I still have the Keeley Compressor + on my board for when I have to play through some crappy modern amp or some digital thing.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Most of the time here as well. Usually a Diamond optical as it's very transparent and gives a great lift to the tone. But sometimes, rhythmic passages demand an orange squeeze type and for that I use a Hartman. And for chicken pickn' type stuff, my Keeley 4 knob classic is great. I like compressors and really don't have enough.

7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Fender tube amps (or most tube amps for that matter) have sag which feels like the attack/release of a compressor pedal and they do have some peak limiting. But they don't seem to boost a decaying signal like a rack or pedal compressor in my experience.

Henry and Shadowy_Man like this.
  8. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    100 % of the time. Just enough. Just to where the whole tone gets BIGger, but not to where it’s squashing or killing dynamics.

9. RRGuitarCo

RRGuitarCo Gretschie

May 23, 2021
    San Diego CA
    I just use my ear to tell if it sounds good or not. Quality tube amplifiers just sound better without it to my ear while my newer Carvins, Fenders and Vox amps all need it to sound decent. I can't say I've ever had a problem with decaying signals on my old amps.

MotorCentaur likes this.
  10. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Contrary with me. I never use a compressor because it feels not dynamic enough/dead.

Marv666, MotorCentaur and Waxhead like this.
  11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    When I say signal decay, I mean natural note decay that you have with every guitar/amp . Compressor pedals lift it so it decays slower and that is how it creates sustain.

12. I have struggled for years everything sounds distorted any amp any guitar any amp and no effects. Talk about overlook the obvious I am going deaf. Now trying to use the in ears monitors
    let you know how I get on

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Still using the Keeley Limiting Amp?

14. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    No, I’m using the compressor in the TC Electronic Plethora now.

gtttrrr and Ricochet like this.
  15. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I feel like exact opposite, i guess i dont know how to deal with these C boxes...

I thought they've being used mainly for recording purpose but again i never understood why filter or why to boost signal where WE have an amp volume pot.

The truth is i'm a rude cable man, actually.

MotorCentaur and RRGuitarCo like this.
  16. samdevos

samdevos Gretschie

Jun 26, 2009
    belgium
    maybe compressors helps the guy who plays more quit .. home . smaml gigs where there is no amp compression

NJDevil and RRGuitarCo like this.
  17. amp360

amp360 Synchromatic

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    A lot of it is just not having your guitar/amp dialed in correctly. Some of it is also in today's over compressed sounding recordings a lot of people have just gotten used to that sound and hearing your guitar without the effect(s) just isn't what you like.

I do tons of guitar tracking and some mixing and that's been my business for many years. Any time I take on some home recorded project as a favor it's usually either compressed to heck or recorded with samples/VIs and guitar modelers, where people will add all kinds of nonsense and the same stuff everyone else is adding at home.

Ask yourself:

1- Do you like your sound

If so, chances are you're just going for a more processed type of sound. Nothing wrong with that. Most of today's blooze daddies/rockabilly cats are just hair metal guys who don't fit into spandex anymore so they've moved on to a more suitable trend. That's why companies make wide flat necks and guitars that cater to these type of people. Look at a USA Strat from 1990 vs 1996 and you'll see this firsthand. These type of players love processed guitar sounds, it’s just more “socially acceptable” on forums to post pictures of 10+ pedals on a board vs a GSP-21 or MP-1. If that’s what you’re into fo for it.

2- Do you not like your sound

If you don't like your sound maybe spend some time trying to figure out what you don't like about it. A compressor will generally add noise and can change the timbre of your sound. Maybe take your pedals out of the mix and see what your guitar and amp really sound like. Play with your amp's knobs and see how that works. Maybe work on pickup height and try to get things as close as you can before you start messing with things.

I have a compressor pedal but when I use it I do so for a couple reasons.

1- To push an amp into overdrive while smoothing it out a little
    2- For the audible effect of hearing that sound (like on a hybrid picking thing or something)

When I mix songs I use compression here and there but generally I'm do my best not to hear it as an effect.

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No I never use compressor pedals - I've tried them and don't like them.
    I sometimes might use a little with a DAW on recordings for clean tones only.

Using a compressor has the following disadvantages imo
    - takes variety and dynamics out of your playing by making the volume always the same.
    - many can add an unpleasant hard clip to start of notes.
    - adds another pedal to your signal chain - adding cable length and more to go wrong.
    - added cost and weight.

If you think not using a compressor makes your rigs sound dead I think you've become over reliant on them and need 12 months of weaning off them. Your playing will improve if you do :D

19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes always on.
    I actually have 2 different delay settings depending on whether I am using the dirty or amp side of my amp (Tone King Imperisal II - no master volume). The dirty delay has a lower mix or level because the amp compresses (yea, a cranked amp loses dynamics :rolleyes:) and brings up the delay sound more so than on the clean (less cranked) side. There is a huge difference between the volume of the repeats.

20. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    To me, compressor is like when you’re driving at dusk. You can see everything. It’s still light. Then you turn the headlights on. That difference is compression.

pmac11 and Electrosynthesis like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.