im the New Girl in the neighborhood

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Desert Rose, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Welcome. Those gold top Electro’s look sweet.

As suggested by @wabash slim it could be your single coils picking up electrical interference. Also does it still make the noise going straight into the amp with one cable and different cables? Or by noise, are you referring to feedback? Depending on your proximity to the amp and volume, the hollow body could be in play.

Desert Rose likes this.
  2. Desert Rose

Desert Rose Electromatic

Sep 8, 2020
    mexico
    yeah is pretty cool “Hot Rod Rockabilly machine” now im courios So you removed the factory electronics ? are the factory pots ALPHA brand? cuz feel like kinda cheap

montereyjack66 and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. Desert Rose

Desert Rose Electromatic

Sep 8, 2020
    mexico
    Sound like like I'm frying something when i tunr the Gain up

4. Renegade

Renegade Country Gent

Jun 21, 2009
    Seattle
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I’m not sure what they were, but I replaced the selector switch with a nice switchcraft, and the master volume with a CTS pot.

I filled the old pot holes with some little plastic plugs that I painted with some gold sparkle nail polish.

There may be nothing “wrong” with your guitar. Compared to my tele or my other Gretsch guitars, the Dearmond 2000’s were very quiet.

6. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    This is just a shot in the dark, but I have to be careful about where I set my phone when practicing. For a little while, I was in the habit of setting it on the amp. During that time, I was having endless trouble with flakey cables. They would be fine for a while, then start crackling or humming, then they’d be fine again. Once I figured it out and moved the phone, all my cables recovered. It can cause problens in my pocket too.

Ricochet likes this.
  7. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    assuming there’s nothing that needs fixing, the tvj t-armonds have a ton of output. my falcon screams at low volume worth fuzz and od through my ampeg gemini ii.

8. Desert Rose

Desert Rose Electromatic

Sep 8, 2020
    mexico
    hey!!

9. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    Sure you will! This is a great place full of cool people...

Floo likes this.
  10. Fasteddie42

Fasteddie42 Electromatic

Sep 18, 2018
    tip of the mitt
    I think you may be hearing "mojo"

11. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I put a bunch of spacers under the neck pickup of my 5129. I think they were marketed as spacers for Dynasonics but they fit.

12. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey DR,

Welcome.

I have Dyna's on my Pro-Jet, and on my Duo-Jet.

Slight pole height adjustment may help. Don't force the height adjustment screw after they've reached max top height/max bottom height.

I'm inclined to think a trip to a good tec may help you as you may have a loose ground or a pot/switch that needs to be inspected and cleaned.

Sending a quick e-mail to Tec Support at TV Jones may be a good start, great folks, with all the answers.

Again, all the very best, and Welcome!

BIB.

13. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Buenas dias!

... I had spanish in school ... I'd have had spanish if I had gone there often enough, I mean.

Anyway, hi, we're cool and we wear cool scarfs and stuff...

montereyjack66 likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    That sounds like a static issue. Again, the cause could be many different things, even a bad output socket. A good tech should be able to sort it out.

15. Cass

Cass Electromatic

May 24, 2020
    Melbourne
    Hello, Desert Rose, and welcome! Nice guitar! And I hear good things about the Dyna Sonic pick ups, but in the world of Gretsch, I am only familiar with Hi Lo Trons on my Tennessean. But I’m thinking yours should work better than they do, from your description. There will be lots of good advice from people better qualified than me on this forum, but I’ll be keen to hear how it goes.

16. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Save yourself time and effort and advice from people who can’t see the guitar , amp setting or dynamics of your setup. Take it to someone who knows what their doing cause 50 percent of these techs in shops don’t.. or get someone to change the pickups and wiring harness if you really lovethe guitar.. third choice .. sell it or trade and buy another Gretsch. Many out there.

17. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Welcome Desert Rose,
    As you can tell by now, you've landed in the most civil (and helpful) of all the electric guitar forums.

Stay well, GP

MTurner likes this.
  18. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Welcome to G-T, Salma! I hope you bond with your new guitar, and may you play it loud and long.

19. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    Hi Salma,

welcome to Gretschville here from germany!

We‘re talking vintage wired single coils- not that loud and noisy if distorted. It‘s not a bug, it‘s a feature so to say...
    See if you’re able to live with that noise :rolleyes:
    Those Dynas are perfect pickups if you’re playin‘ clean or with low overdrive.

I suggest also TV‘s pickup height recommendation but minus 10% :cool:
    To my ears most pickups sound much better if they‘re not too high...

String height minimum should be in the 1.7 - 1.8 mm range, a straight neck and levelled frets implied. And I would recommend a good bar bridge.

Rock on!

20. DannyB

DannyB Gretschie

Apr 26, 2019
    Michigan
    Bienvenido a Gretsch Talk! Mi gusta mucho su guitarra! I can't speak about your Gretsch model specifically but playing both a Gretsch Streamliner with Broad'tron pickups, a Fender Stratocaster (Made in Mexico!) with single coil pickups, and a Gibson SG with humbuckers, its not unusual to get different type of sounds from different guitars even with the same settings on the amplifier, etc. I love the goldtop color, though, so I think this guitar should be a keeper for you. If you continue to have problems with noise you could take it to a guitar shop and have them look at it. Best of luck and welcome again

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.