If you're thinking of selling it, don't play it

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by AZBrahma, Aug 12, 2021.

1. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    If you are thinking of selling one of your guitars, don't play it before you sell it. I've been considering selling my Godin Summit Classic HB because it is redundant. Then I played it. Plays great, sounds great, got that nice subtle curl in the top under the beautiful creme brulee finish, it's the only one ever made with a multiple binding...it's just a great guitar. It ended up in the collection for a reason, right? Now I don't want to sell it. Why did I play the stupid thing?

2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    You saved yourself that "why did I let that one go" speech.

Archtops, section2, Groutsch and 4 others like this.
  3. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    Yes but at 15 guitars, at some point something has to give.

section2 and G5422T like this.
  4. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Huh? I have no idea what that means.

You are keeping it, yes?

5. Chet Harrison

Chet Harrison Gretschie

Apr 27, 2020
    USA
    It means he thinks 15 guitars is too many and one of them (or more) is going to have to go, one way or another. And by keeping this one (at least for now), he has inadvertently signed the death warrant for one of his other guitars.

MrWookiee likes this.
  6. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I foresee a predicament… before selling surely you check if item is in working order, and play it?

LivingMyDream likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    You bought it for a reason.

8. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I do that all the time,that's why i have 20 guitars when i really only need 6!:oops:

LivingMyDream likes this.
  9. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Lets be honest, we could all get buy with one guitar if we 'really needed to' but there is nothing wrong with having more then you need :).

I have done this a few times though, have thought about selling things that I haven't used for awhile or very little, get it out to sell and realize why I bought/keep it in the first place and put it back, just because you don't use something doesn't mean you don't want it around and just knowing that you have it is enough to bring you joy sometimes.

I have a classic car at my parents house, it isn't registered, it needs a bit of work but it's not in the way and life is a bit crazy at the moment to play with cars, I could sell it because I don't use it but I know one day things will change and it will be back on the road, knowing it's there keeps me connected to it.

10. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I don't envy you, went through that years back with 10.

Finally had to make the "decision of fate" for many of them.

Best to you with this.

Archtops likes this.
  11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I'm planning a major purge at the end of the summer,. I need to keep what you say front and center.

section2 and gtttrrr like this.
  12. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    I had a similar problem just yesterday. I was selling my piccolo guitar, and just before the buyer showed up, my 9-year-old boy took one look at that tiny guitar and asked if we could keep it so I could teach him to play. How could I refuse?

The buyer was cool about it, the boy has already mastered his G and Em chords, and I'm already daydreaming about our first father-son gig.

13. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    Yes one must go no wait 14 that’s the number of clubs one may carry in a golf bag
    Never mind keep the guitar leave the clubs no leave the gun take the cannolis :D

MrWookiee and section2 like this.
  14. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    So funny but so true. Such is life.

15. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

You'd better search for a few other children and write silly and earworm songs for their boys band.

MrWookiee and section2 like this.
  16. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    I think this is the case for most guitar folk who own more than 4 or 5 guitars. I am currently in the same boat, I play it to check it out before posting and it goes back on the rack. I have to get over it though...:(

17. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

To ensure that you didn't sell it of course. Whew! You dodged a bullet on that one.

section2 likes this.
  18. Jelly Roll Horton

Jelly Roll Horton Country Gent

Nov 10, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Yeah... It’s like, "I asked her out for a reason..."

19. LongJohn

LongJohn Synchromatic

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Thinking of selling a guitar? Polish it up, oil the fretboard, slap on a new set of strings tune up and play. still thinking of selling it? If so ask top dollar 'cause she's all dressed up and no place to go. Change of heart? Play on. :(

section2 likes this.
  20. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Several times, I have played through the guitars to decide which one is going out the door. In the playing, though, I discover once again why I chose each one of the guitars - each special in their own right. The next time I feel the need to reduce the herd, I do the drill once again, and get the same result. And so it goes.

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.