If You Were the Czar of Music

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Oct 25, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    No Billy Joel can be played.

But most of all, talented musicians will not be allowed to die young - whatever the reason.

2. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Country Gent

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    I loved Billy's work with his original line-up. After he got ripped off and fired everyone his music changed for the worse, though he still did some good stuff. I feel bad for the guy, though.

NJDevil likes this.
  3. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

:p:p:p

pmac11 likes this.
  4. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Banning Autotune would be the best thing to do, that would save us from a lot of Pop Music. Not even teenagers want to hear some of those "singers" permanently singing out of tune.

NJDevil and Junior94 like this.
  5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    All early school students should be encouraged to take up a musical instrument at school. Any child identified as having talent should be mentored and aided to progress, using much the same process as finding and building budding sports stars and athletes.

DennisC, AllenK, new6659 and 5 others like this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Country Gent

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    No hubris or arrogance. Knowledge is to be shared. Great players should play with beginners every week. Music is a meritocracy. No smelly body parts people.

fair pay for fair work.

7. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I would ban the Czars. :)

8. Redliner

Redliner Electromatic

May 7, 2011
    Fleetwood, PA
    Try being the bus driver on the day they got them. I finally told them next time I hear one, it goes up on the dash. Bad when the other kids are complaining to you about the noise. Fun times indeed.

drmilktruck likes this.
  9. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    My second edict:

Any person putting a LP record on a turntable, turning up the volume, and sawing the record back and forth would be defined as a non-musician and banned from signing any recording contract.

I hereby declare my self King Mental I.

10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I think ending Auto Tune would mean that artists with actual talent get promoted rather than the ones with only good looks.

11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    An outstanding idea ;)

drmilktruck likes this.
  12. Floo

Floo Country Gent

Dec 16, 2012
    Elmshorn, Germany
    Exactly. In a perfect world...

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I would finance free musical education for every kid in my empire that is intersted in making music.
    (I remember being very sad as a 14-year-old because my parents were not able to pay piano-lessons for both, me and my brother. So after 9 years of happy piano lessons I had to make way for my little brother.)

It would be very nice if kids would be taught in school that there are many, many wonderful styles of music. Classic European music is taught everywhere but I am missing all that contemporary styls and foreign culture`s music that is highly enjoyable, too.
    In my time at school they managed to make classical music a hyper-theoretical and non-fun subject by making us read full-scores and analyze everything to death. All other kinds of music were considered to be not worth to be a subject in school. Both facts were a shame.
    But I would change that completely if I were Czar.

14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You can always turn down the volume while watching Miley Cyrus riding that wrecking-ball!

15. afire

afire Country Gent

To be fair, Auto-Tune hardly ushered in the practice of putting good looks and charisma ahead of talent. I would say that for as long as there's been a music "industry", that has been the case. Had the Beatles been four fat guys from Uzbekistan, I don't think they'd have gotten very far.

My gripe with Auto-Tune (aside from it being used as an effect) is the removal of imperfections and idiosyncrasies that sometimes give life and energy to music, IMO. That said, I would wager that if the technology had been developed 50 or 60 years ago, it would have been embraced (or overused) just as enthusiastically then as it is now. But thankfully, that didn't happen. If it had, then we would all be lusting after 150 lb. all-tube vintage Auto-Tune units selling for tens of thousands of dollars.

Henry, AllenK, drmilktruck and 3 others like this.
  16. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I think it would certainly put a dent in things but you are right. It's not really an either or, but valuing talent above looks would be nice to see.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. ramjac

ramjac Synchromatic

Aug 14, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My answer is still MORE COWBELL.

sgarnett, new6659, pmac11 and 3 others like this.
  18. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Here the they are, the Fat Five, direct from Tashkent:

upload_2021-10-26_21-17-27.jpeg

Sunnat, Timor, Umid, Zurif and Ringo!

Singing all your favorites:

Qo'lingni Ushlamoqchiman

U Sizni Sevadi

Sariq Suv Osti Kemasi

Sehrli Sirli Sayohat

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    speedicut, afire, stevo and 2 others like this.
  19. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    Mandate that music history, with samples to match the lessons, would be woven within all history classes from grade school thru high school. It'd be used as a great cultural side dish to compliment the main course of the lesson.

pmac11 and drmilktruck like this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

Oh boy. Zurif probably feels pretty okay about himself with the company he's keeping.

MrWookiee and drmilktruck like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.